ported barrels

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Beretta 687 sporter ported by GunMark in the 1980s .. they offered a porting and long forcing cone conversion when these things were a fad . A bugger to clean and to be fair made no difference whatsoever, but I’ve always been a tinkerer :p
I know what you mean about cleaning. I still get fooled by viewing the porting from the breech, I am scrubbing hell out of the barrel until I realise, it is actually the porting I am seeing and NOT crud ! 🙄

There’s no difference in report, I and some friends tested it with a decibel meter. For guns we used my Browning 725 Pro Sporting (US version of the Prosport) with ports and my Citori CXS (US version of the 425 Crossover) without ports. Both guns are 12ga/bore with 32” barrels. Test was on a trap range with the meter on the station next to the shooter. We even put painters tape over the ports and the tape stayed put and didn’t blow off.
Wish I'd known this before I sold my ported 32" Winchester 8500, the only gun I've had that shot 100/300 at DTL.

Back