SGC Fees

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "farmer exemption" quip was toung in cheek, as it will never and should never be reinstated. Rosso, you too can have "free pigeon shooting"...£1,000,000 for a nice small arable farm, 2 second hand tractors and forklift at £50,000 ea, second hand combine £70,000, second hand baler £10,000, 1st year seed, fertiliser and fuel £150,000+... = free pigeon shooting!!! :D
Blimey that cheap. Where I live you cannot buy a one bed flat for under £250000.00.

For what its worth i think its still cheap as chips at £49......but service

Letter received from TVP dated 21/1/2015 renewal is due.

Application sent 27/1

Application received 28/1

Cheque cashed 10/2 

Not a dickie bird from firearms, or a certificate yet 14/3.

Less than £10 a year for a renewal.... Look at how much you pay for your TV licence, compare the 2 and see which gives you the most pleasure... SGC is incredibly cheap.

as James says, it keeps a few folk in line,, I do not speed (much), at all now,   :prankster: ,,,,, and what you get for a pound these days,, £49 IS cheap !

Based upon what appears to be a mediocre service, the current fee is about right. The comparisons with other 'Trades' is a little unfair really, you have the option of not paying, if you do not receive the service or quality of workmanship. Try that with your local FEO, if you dare !  When my Shotgun Certificate is due for renewal WHY do I need a further visit from an FEO ? If any of my circumstances have changed, I am obliged to notify them anyway. A computer check will show if I have collected any convictions since my last renewal, that can be done from a desk. We have already agreed that we are probably the most law abiding section of the community too.  I spent around 10 years dealing with Firearms and Shotgun Certificates,  both grants and renewals,  mainly because of my knowledge of firearms and firearms law. This was done alongside my other duties. On many occasions I had to make a hasty exit from the firearms enquiry, because a more urgent call had arisen, only to return and carry on where we had left off, much to the applicants amusement. I was able to treat these enquiries with a reasonable degree of knowledge and therefore understanding of the requirements from both sides, especially when it came to amounts of section 1 ammo. I would telephone to make an appointment to call and advise that a stock of ammo be obtained, due to my taking the expiring certificates. This was back in the 1980/90's, before most of the Firearms Departments were civilianized. The point being that Police Officers carried out this work alongside their other duties, long before the current amount of information available was stored electronically. Now we have all of this electronic wizardry to hand, more staff to deal with enquiries, dedicated firearms departments, more FEO' (most of whom leave a lot to be desired with their knowledge of both Firearms and the Law),  more restrictions being dumped upon us by Forces making up the Laws as they go along and now it is suggested we should be paying more for this. My local Council has already announced that the Police contribution will be increased in the next financial year, leading to an increase in my Rates. With continuous declines in both Police numbers and the service provided, I feel the cost of my Shotgun Certificate is about right.        

Well put.

My council tax up 6% most of that police. Inflation -1/2%. These costs should be going down. It's like plastic driving licences every 10 years for £20.00.

Paper ones (if you don't get nicked) last till your 65.

Why don't they do Certs for 10 years like a passport.

Latest posts

Back