Shotgun Balance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel comfortable with a gun slightly balanced to the stock. Upper arm to forearm at about an angle of 90°.

When looking from the front left and right forearms are also in an angle at about 90°.

This might result in a position on the gun different to another shooter. So I think the angle of your arms is more important than the resulting position of your hand.

To move around I try to avoid pushing or pulling the arm which holds the guns foreend but rotate from the hip.

Went for a practice shoot today and immediately felt that the 3oz in the stock have made a difference. The gun moves better and the barrels no longer feel front heavy. The balance now feels between the hands and more fluid.

Thanks and I am very grateful for all the advice.

Went for a practice shoot today and immediately felt that the 3oz in the stock have made a difference. The gun moves better and the barrels no longer feel front heavy. The balance now feels between the hands and more fluid.

Thanks and I am very grateful for all the advice.
Great. 3oz is a lot! That will make a difference.

So, come on guys. Someone with an XSPro or a ProSport,   please, please, please,  listen to what k80ben is saying, you KNOW he is right  !

When you have taken those nasty barrel weights off , please see my 'wanted' ad.

😉

So, come on guys. Someone with an XSPro or a ProSport,   please, please, please,  listen to what k80ben is saying, you KNOW he is right  !

When you have taken those nasty barrel weights off , please see my 'wanted' ad.

😉
Browning xs has listed some in shootbay 2hrs ago, if any good.

I have a shed full at kibworth where customers just leave them 

All makes and models. Anyone who wants the barrels heavier is either shooting the wrong gun or doesn’t quite yet understand how to move to the target

All makes and models. Anyone who wants the barrels heavier is either shooting the wrong gun or doesn’t quite yet understand how to move to the target
Maybe you could sell me one then  ?

I am still learning about this shooting game and probably have a gun that does not suit me, but I will have to hang onto it for the time being. I have checked and it is certainly my gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could sell me one then  ?

I am still learning about this shooting game and probably have a gun that does not suit me, but I will have to hang onto it for the time being. I have checked and it is certainly my gun.
Be interesting to know why u want heavier barrels as they come any barrel heavy 

Be interesting to know why u want heavier barrels as they come any barrel heavy 
I do not believe it is barrel heavy, BUT that depends on where you are placing the balance point  ?  If it is on the pin, then the gun is well balanced straight out of the box. If it is the centre point between my hands, then it is stock heavy. I have shot this gun for around 12 months and I shot reasonably well with just the basic gun. I fitted the barrel weights on the second slot back from the muzzle and this certainly improved my scores. I shoot once a week now, either a 100 bird sporting or a local ground which is 60 birds. I average 75% which I am happy with, considering my age being more than my scores  !  We won't mention the disabilities,  I believe I have just about perfected my gun mount, I do not have any master eye issues and the only bit I struggle with, is paying for my cartridges  !  So next time you are in your shed, if you can find a Browning barrel weight that you wish to sell, I would be obliged Ben.

20220422_103944.jpg

Well, Ben not having been to his shed yet means I have had to do a 'quick fix' to my gun in order to shoot tomorrow. I have used the 'stock sock trick' for the barrel weight, until I can obtain the correct item at a reasonable cost.

View attachment 8965.

So what is the best sort of sock to use?  I mean, wool, cotton, poly, some blend of those?  And which side does the knot go on?  Is it different for left-hand shooters?  And color?!?!  OMG ! ! !  so many variables ! ! !  Should it be Scotch-Guarded so the wet doesn't affect it?

Back