Shotgun licence grant waiting times - Avon & Somerset

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susty18

Hi all, hope you're all well! First time poster - sincerely appreciate any responses in advance.

I've just applied for an SGC in Avon & Somerset and struggling to find any recent information on likely wait times. I know BASC's FOI request for 2021 showed average of 144 days for a grant and was curious if the situation has improved at all since then? Anyone recently had one granted in this constabulary?

Thanks in advance!

I applied 2nd January 22 and received it early September 22. I had been told to expect 18 months to two years, so I was reasonably pleased. Although, in reality, it still seems like a long time.

Further to this 2023 post on Avon and Somerset lead times I wondered in anyone here has been granted a new certificate from them this year please?

SteveN

Hi Steven,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

It was 7 months to the day from when I applied to getting my licence. Hope that's helpful.

Cheers.

Thanks for responding. Looking like November for me then.

Steve
I'm over 7 months, speaking to someone else they said it's it's currently over 40 weeks. So probably looking more at 9 months.

I have to say they are rather slow, I applied December 23, formal interview and house inspection March 24 and still currently waiting. I’ve had a friend who recently moved up north to Staffordshire and applied, interviewed, received all in less than 3 months which is a joke.
The only information I had from Avon and so east was that they were dealing with some of the back log from Covid. And I sent another email asking is there any progress and just got told to be patient even though this was months after.
Shame as I was hoping to be ready for game season but I don’t think I’ll even make that this year

I have to say they are rather slow, I applied December 23, formal interview and house inspection March 24 and still currently waiting. I’ve had a friend who recently moved up north to Staffordshire and applied, interviewed, received all in less than 3 months which is a joke.
The only information I had from Avon and so east was that they were dealing with some of the back log from Covid. And I sent another email asking is there any progress and just got told to be patient even though this was months after.
Shame as I was hoping to be ready for game season but I don’t think I’ll even make that this year
That’s appalling, 5 months after interview to still be waiting. I’m in Durham and it took about 2 weeks after the visit. I think it was a referrer check and then over to the chief for approval.

That was my experience in 2020 with Avon and Somerset for my FAC too. Ticket turned up 3 weeks after my visit.

I applied 2nd of January 22 and was told to expect an 18 month wait. I received it in late September 22. Better than expected, but still too long. P.S. This was Avon and Somerset.

Last edited:
I usually ask people who come into the shop with new tickets how long they've waited.

It appears anyone who is an easy decision i.e. club members with normal jobs who have lived in the area a long time are waiting about 6 months for shotgun/fac.

I usually ask people who come into the shop with new tickets how long they've waited.

It appears anyone who is an easy decision i.e. club members with normal jobs who have lived in the area a long time are waiting about 6 months for shotgun/fac.
Lived in same village whole life. Member at Barbury shooting school, clean record, and currently on month 5. So I’m having some faith in this as it’s taking forever .
Makes me think come renewal do I need to start applying a year in advance because 6 months doesn’t seem enough with how slow they are.

Thanks for gathering the info. Useful stuff.

Latest posts

Back