Single guns warning..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

One of our regular guns couldn’t make today and couldn’t send a guest so we agree to sell two pegs (only usually stand 7) just to see what would happen

So 2 guys turned up today, 30 mins late (no big drama, we are pretty relaxed) incorrectly dressed (although stipulated) and just flipping rude.  First drive one guy shot at every thing, including a hare which he clipped despite strict no ground game, cheered by by his mate who’s was two pegs away drawing 1.  Warnings issued etc.. Drive 2 ... bellend 2 now in the shooting genuinely couldn’t hit anything, I mean not even close, bellend 1 stands with him changing pegs during the drive so both stood on one peg, drive over, final warning.  Drive 3 after 11’s during in which they were foul mouthed and complained about only 2 glasses champagne each bellend ones gun jammed shut, loaded and bellend 2 shot as poorly as ever

Drive stopped, both bellends told to go home, bell end 1 loses it and points his gun (loaded) at the game keeper.. guns removed, police called, bellends detained, day over

Dont let single guns, it’s not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s even worse than when I was very nearly shot by a totally pissed bloke, who fell flat on his arse eventually. I really don’t get this game shooting lark..

Sounds like... Rah Rah Rah, we're going to smash the oiks!!

What is shot a bop??

And who in earth would want lots of champagne mixed with shotguns?!!

As a regular Game shooter who organises days and often needs the odd Gun or two , I would appreciate the names of these two individuals and if possible photographs to put on my 'Not Wanted ' list.

Flamin ell, what a nightmare of a day that sounds. 😮

Out of interest how did you come across these two, word of mouth or advertised ?

PS

On any shoot i am involved with after shooting ground game they would have been on there way right then

Bird of prey... pair of w@nkers!!

I won't do game so will never know, but is the whole shooting ground targets just not cricket, or is it for another reason that it's not done? Can you have game shoots where it's solely hares, etc. then, bearing in mind you get clays to simulate it so I figure they're done for a reason?

Driven birds are driven by people and dogs coming towards you - ground game shooting risks shooting people or dogs 

As a regular Game shooter who organises days and often needs the odd Gun or two , I would appreciate the names of these two individuals and if possible photographs to put on my 'Not Wanted ' list.
You would assume that they don`t have SGC`s now given what occurred..........

With any luck the police will deem these two as unsuitable to own shotguns.

As a strictly personal opinion as someone who's never shot live quarry and with no wish to upset anyone, I have to say that when I come across game shooters at clay grounds it's too often the case that their muzzle discipline and general gun handling can be casual to the point of scary. Last Sunday at Longridge being a case in point when I had to explain to a couple of them the rules and for safe and proper gun handling at a reg shoot. And they didn't like it very much, but then I don't appreciate having a closed gun being held in one hand and pointed at my chest from 5 feet away either!

As a strictly personal opinion as someone who's never shot live quarry and with no wish to upset anyone, I have to say that when I come across game shooters at clay grounds it's too often the case that their muzzle discipline and general gun handling can be casual to the point of scary. Last Sunday at Longridge being a case in point when I had to explain to a couple of them the rules and for safe and proper gun handling at a reg shoot. And they didn't like it very much, but then I don't appreciate having a closed gun being held in one hand and pointed at my chest from 5 feet away either!
have to agree  game shooting seems very relaxed    alcohol   and  guns   not a good mix  ,   I see poor safety protocol  at a few clay grounds too   , it only takes one .  !!!!!!

As a shooter of both clays and game, I have said for a long time the most dangerous thing at a clay shoot, CAN be a game shooter  !  It was remarked at a game shoot recently, that 3 of the guns that were shooting on the day were taught by myself (and yes, they were). This was purely by the way they removed and replaced their guns in the gunslips. (the correct way). A 'bit of an incident' at the local clay ground last weekend, by, and I quote an "Experienced Shooter". He was obviously showing Mummy and Daddy how good he was and ignored me when I asked him to remove his counter from the 'box' whilst the trapper went to refill the trap. I went and removed said counter, only to be met with,  "I am an experienced shooter. As long as I do not touch the buttons, it is perfectly safe, now give me the box and go away " I was tempted to give the box to Daddy, him being a 'Responsible Adult' except that I had already witnessed Daddy nearly poke someones eye out whilst carrying his gun over the shoulder with the barrels to the rear. Thankfully another shooter spoke to him about that.  I always take the counter out of the box if a trapper is going to any traps, having witnessed the buttons dropping onto the floor and firing a trap, just as the trapper was about to enter the trap house !

Did anyone check their Insurance  ?  If it was through one of the Shooting Associations, they will need to be informed too  !

Sadly , these two Pricks could still shoot Game without a SGC. Power of the Pound etc., 

Interesting comments above about game shooters.  I regularly shoot with game shooters and most have the CPSA safety officer qualification and so far I have never seen any of them doing anything silly or dangerous, in fact it is the opposite, they are all very aware and an example. Reading the above perhaps I have just been lucky with the crowd I shoot with.

Mind you, you never really know how experienced people are at some shooting grounds.

Flamin ell, what a nightmare of a day that sounds. 😮

Out of interest how did you come across these two, word of mouth or advertised ?

PS

On any shoot i am involved with after shooting ground game they would have been on there way right then
We were approached in the closed season to let them know if days came up

Weird, I have found the exact opposite

As a shooter of both clays and game, I have said for a long time the most dangerous thing at a clay shoot, CAN be a game shooter  !  It was remarked at a game shoot recently, that 3 of the guns that were shooting on the day were taught by myself (and yes, they were). This was purely by the way they removed and replaced their guns in the gunslips. (the correct way). A 'bit of an incident' at the local clay ground last weekend, by, and I quote an "Experienced Shooter". He was obviously showing Mummy and Daddy how good he was and ignored me when I asked him to remove his counter from the 'box' whilst the trapper went to refill the trap. I went and removed said counter, only to be met with,  "I am an experienced shooter. As long as I do not touch the buttons, it is perfectly safe, now give me the box and go away " I was tempted to give the box to Daddy, him being a 'Responsible Adult' except that I had already witnessed Daddy nearly poke someones eye out whilst carrying his gun over the shoulder with the barrels to the rear. Thankfully another shooter spoke to him about that.  I always take the counter out of the box if a trapper is going to any traps, having witnessed the buttons dropping onto the floor and firing a trap, just as the trapper was about to enter the trap house !

Did anyone check their Insurance  ?  If it was through one of the Shooting Associations, they will need to be informed too  !
They have to sign a disclaimer confirming liability insurance, we don’t endorse any specific scheme

Interesting comments above about game shooters.  I regularly shoot with game shooters and most have the CPSA safety officer qualification and so far I have never seen any of them doing anything silly or dangerous, in fact it is the opposite, they are all very aware and an example. Reading the above perhaps I have just been lucky with the crowd I shoot with.

Mind you, you never really know how experienced people are at some shooting grounds.
By the mere fact that they have CPSA Safety Officers qualifications, suggests that they do a reasonable amount of clay shooting and therefore should not require any advice. My reference to 'game shooters' (and I am one myself) comes from the fact that in most cases of negligence in gun handling or safety issues of any form, it is more likely to be a 'game shooter' having a day out on clays. Whilst out game shooting I see (and act upon) some of the worst gun handling and TOTAL lack of muzzle awareness ever, the sort of thing that is thankfully , rarely seen on clay grounds. I beg to differ on the 'experienced people' bit, I can tell within the first few minutes of watching someone with a gun, just how much experience they have, or more to the point do NOT have. I learned that very quickly when I ran a shooting ground.

I suppose this has to be said.....................these two certainly fit the description of dangerous bellends but a certain amount of responsibility (no not blame), has to be apportioned to the vetting process that allowed them to be there in the first place.

If I approached a shoot with a view of securing paid days or a syndicate place I'd fully expect to be asked a good few pertinent questions to gauge my experience level and suitability. 

Back