tablet / iT expert required

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Mrs ips has an acer tablet but it wont open / load certain web sites such as t mobile log in the blue bar thing at the top goes so far then just stops, my samsung works fine however and the settings are the same on both tablets we are also both tethering from t mobile phones any ideas its driving me mad.

ips sounds like it could by infected with malware (a type of virus) does it have anti virus/anti malware software installed and if so is it up to date?

I found the following finds and cleans most malware infections

www.malwarebytes.org (download the free version)

If the browser on the tablet doesn't let you go to this site you will need to download the software on a different machine copy it to a USB stick and then use the usb stick to install it on the tablet

Cheers, its got avg installed from play store but don't know how good it is. Will try your one.

Ir could be an app update!

When  gingerbread went to kitkat, a lot of the apps  were no longer compatible

Imdb, Facebook, MX player  Joystiq to name a few. 

Just delete the app in question, clear its cache, and re download it from the market

that should solve your problem

Mart

Hi IPS,

Have you tried resetting the Internet browser to default

Steve
i think so, i went into settings and clicked the factory default settings or words to that effect.

Ir could be an app update!

When gingerbread went to kitkat, a lot of the apps were no longer compatible

Imdb, Facebook, MX player Joystiq to name a few.

Just delete the app in question, clear its cache, and re download it from the market

that should solve your problem

Mart
which app ?

Sorted, uninstaled browser, updated chrome and set as default.

thanks guys.

Not sorted.

Opens some but still won't open some, comes up server timed out ?

For instance easy jet site won't open.

Help

Did you try Malwarebytes? In my experience the symptoms you are describing have 2 main causes

1. DNS issue, (Domain Name Services) this is where the tablet is unable to resolve the web address you enter to an IP address, all web names you enter ultimately have to be converted to an IP address in order for the machine to connect to the requested web site, if there is an issue with DNS which prevents this then you will get "Page not found" errors. DNS issues can be intermittent but are more likely to be unable to connect to any site.

2. Malware, these are virus type bits of code that affect web browsers they are not always picked up by an anti virus program (like AVG or McAfee) because strictly speaking they are not a virus. But one of the symptoms of Malware is that they  can cause your machine to be redirected to a different web site so you enter www.easyjet.com in the address bar and the malware takes that address and converts it to something else. If the site it tries to redirect you to doesn't exist (or has been taken down because it is a virus host) then you get the "Page not Found" error

When you run it it will do 2 things

1. Update its own database of Malware signatures (make sure you say OK to this so you have the latest versions)

2. scan all the files on your system for Malware infections, this can take a while depending on the speed of the tablet and the number of files on it. When it completes it will either say "no items found" or it will give you a list of all the malware items detected on the machine with a check box next to each one that you want to remove. If there are many it can be a bit of a pain to check each box individually so if you right mouse click on one of the boxes you should get the option to "check all". The software doesn't make that little hint obvious

cheers, might be better doing this from my office wifi as may take ages on my mobile tethering thing ?

Only bit that will be affected by that will be the download of the updated signatures database (normally around 6Mb) this might take a while if you are using a mobile phone connection probably better done on a WiFi connection

Sorted, I think. Downloaded opera for android and so far it seems to open the troublesome sites, nice clen and easy browser.

Latest posts

Back