Thought

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spewy

682 gold E 

second hand 

for a newbie are these guns usually had thousands of cartridges threw them ?

what to look for when looking at one or tell tale signs

thanks

its possible but its easy to tell. If the top lever is central its had heavy use if its slightly off centre to the right its had little use. (unless of course its been tightened which is unlikely given the age of this model)

Best take someone along who knows what to look for.

If it looks abused/worn then it probably is. Is it cased? does it come with all the bits - chokes/key etc.

It's online and a lefty so no idea what it comes with 

but will take someone who knows there stuff hopefully to look at it and give a honest opinion

or you could have a look if the top lever is parallel :frown:

682 gold E 

second hand 

for a newbie are these guns usually had thousands of cartridges threw them ?

what to look for when looking at one or tell tale signs

thanks
I have a Westley Richards SxS made in 1927, I hate to think how many cartridges that has had through it but it still gets an annual airing,  albeit only a couple of times during the season. Do not be put off by cartridge numbers, pay more attention to general condition which can tell you how the gun has (or has not) been cared for.

It's online and a lefty so no idea what it comes with 

but will take someone who knows there stuff hopefully to look at it and give a honest opinion
Are you specifically looking for a left handed gun......

I have a  682 gold e that I use as a second gun and its had no more than 2k shells through it

These are so easy and cheap to rebuild that the only real way of checking wear is getting close and personal with the various metal to metal contact points, the appearance of the blueing and most of all the crispness and shine of the action. I have two one of which has had 15+ years of clay and rough/pigeon shooting but closes with the sound of a brand new merc door, the top lever is so far to the right any more and it would fall off  :lol:  cos it was replaced a few years ago, the stock too is brand new because it was almost never used. The newer one closes with less panache and the lever was central when I bought it 2nd hand, the owner assuring me it was sub 10k usage. Less than £200 would make this gun feel brand new and look a year old so basically really difficult to appraise off pics. 

Basically it's a case of close scrutiny and trusting the sellers word regarding use. The good news is they're a fraction of the price you'd pay for guns that don't do anything any better and any minor problems can be fixed cheaply.

Latest posts

Back