Trouble shooting right to left clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, I'm having difficulty shooting right to left clays, I can't seem to judge the right amount of lead. This is the case for trap and sporting, I've recently changed to shooting with both eyes open. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Could be lots of things. Do you have a decent coach nearby who could take a look?

If you're left handed you could be pulling the gun away from your body which I think HDAV might be thinking...less of an issue if you're right handed.

Right to left is your best traversing target so can't understand that! I think you may not be truly right eye dom or you just don't know where you are shooting. Get it right and remember the picture... just my advice... as a trap shooter, or very importantly see a coach!  I am of course assuming you shoot of your right shoulder :)

Go and find a decent Instructor. It could be 1 or a combination of many things, including your trying to measure the lead. The harder you try, the more frustrated you will become. The cost of a couple of lessons with a good Instructor, could well pay for itself in cartridges not wasted.

Yes swinging across my body, I am going to see a coach later in March for a session so I'll ask him as well. Chippy: when you say stock too low would raising the comb help? Thank you all

Can't understand why a low gun mount would only effect your ability to hit target moving right to left ? Does a gun only shoot high when moving in this direction?

Second thought "you "swing the gun across your body" ... try moving your upper body more that is where your movement should come from not your arms... just the way I do it never had a lesson so I could be wrong yet again :) !

If your stock is too low it causes many problems because your left eye takes over with out you knowing. A quick way of checking is mount your gun with both eyes closed then without moving open your right eye and check the sight picture.

Hi All, I'm having difficulty shooting right to left clays, I can't seem to judge the right amount of lead. This is the case for trap and sporting, I've recently changed to shooting with both eyes open. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks
People are of course trying to be helpful but apart from the near impossibility of curing someones specific trouble bird on a forum, you simply haven't given enough information. 

What standard do you shoot to, do you pulverise a L/R crosser regardless of range ? We could for instance then rule out your pick up and address being at fault etc. Do you shoot with both eyes open off the correct shoulder ? Is this a new problem or have you always struggled with birds from the right ? What method do you use ? Does range have a bearing on your troubles ? How about pairs, do you find them less of a struggle ? 

Honestly there could be so many reasons (usually a combinations of things) that you really need to seek out a good coach, next time you're out ask a few of the local experienced shooters to watch you, I bet they'll soon pick up your major flaws.

Chippy, not even thinking of arguing but to my thinking your comment makes and adjustable stock redundant does it not? The comb if moved up lifts both eyes not one.. unless you cant the gun. But regardless the man says he has a dom right eye why would the left take over unless of course he could not see over his gun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks hamster and you're right, I don't expect to get the perfect answer with no one actually seeing what I'm doing wrong. I was just curious to see if people have had a similar experience or if it was a common issue when switching to shooting with both eyes. It really is a case that I miss more left flying birds when on stand 1 and 2 in ABT but I you are all right that a coach is the way to go

Latest posts

Back