Trouble shooting right to left clays

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he is right eye dom it would not make a difference if the left was closed or open. The fact that he closed his left eye when shooting before and has not said he changed his gun mount indicates he could see over his gun rib to the target. I think he may not be as right eye dom as he thinks he is. This of course assumes he could hit them before he changed :)

Thanks hamster and you're right, I don't expect to get the perfect answer with no one actually seeing what I'm doing wrong. I was just curious to see if people have had a similar experience or if it was a common issue when switching to shooting with both eyes. It really is a case that I miss more left flying birds when on stand 1 and 2 in ABT but I think you are all right that a coach is the way to go

I am not an expert trap shooter but it is all I shoot. If you are missing left to right targets you either don't know where you are shooting or your eye dominance issue is not what you think it is. Most traps shooters I think would say that of the traversing targets you will see left to right should be your easiest because you do not move the gun away from your face when moving the gun... assuming you shoot from your right shoulder. The fact that you have only started shooting both eyes open says to me it is a vision thing most probably a middle vision issue you are behind the target. Ask an experienced shooter to watch you shoot the should be able to set you straight.. eh ? no put you on target :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely right eye dom and shot them better when shooting with one eye, I only switched about 2 months ago my trap scores increased straight away my sporting scores plummeted!

Very true it could be eye dominance. but when you shoot one eyed you tend to measure off the end of the barrel so maybe adjusting your head position.but when you change to both eyes you tend to measure off the clay with the barrel in your peripheral vision.

shot them better when shooting with one eye, I only switched about 2 months ago my trap scores increased straight away

It really is a case that I miss more left flying birds when on stand 1 and 2 in ABT but I think you are all right that a coach is the way to go

Look make your mind up you cannot improve your score by missing targets!!!!

That's not really true. If you change any aspect of you technique in any sport you have expect for performance to dip while you perfect the change. My point is that I am having difficulty with left flying birds, which is a fact and I'm interested to hear other peoples thoughts, everything I've heard helps in one way or another however it's clear I need to get the help of a coach or someone more experienced in the club

Sorry but you said you noticed an immediate improvement in you abt scores even though you miss more left/ right from 1 and 2 ... how is that a dip in performance!!! you must have significantly improved many other aspects you have actually improved!!I think you are right though you need a coach because you do not know where you are shooting.

Well whats that got to do with the price of eggs... that's sporting for you... :) But why have you singled out a trap discipline to lament your issue ? It improved sing out and look for the answer to the trap problem and don't shoot sporting any more... only kidding :) see a coach as you have already said you will and good shooting!

Hammy is correct to many possibilities, however the obvious one from a trap perspective is stance to far right.

Not wishing to disagree Ian stance is important but I personally think the issue of the eyes has more significance, also where you stand? very important to some but to be honest crucial ..I don't believe so, how you stand that's different. I watch guys who shoot 24 and 25 nearly every tour but never change where they stand but how they stand ie foot position is very important and changes with every peg.

I had the same thing, and it was sorted out by coaching (thanks Ed!).

In my case, I was (without knowing it) using a different technique right to left from left to right.

Left to right I was shooting swing through and doing well, right to left I was using maintained lead and making a mess up of it.

I think this was caused by the feeling of 'peering over' the stock/comb when looking for the right bird that gradually turned into a 'twitch' when I start moving the gun on pull.

So my point - maybe it's something that is quick to fix, are you sure you're doing exactly the same technique wise?

Hammy is correct to many possibilities, however the obvious one from a trap perspective is stance to far right.
Yes Ips this is a standard problem for many trap shooters....they then run out of swing when their feet are in the wrong place. It is the first thing that I look at when someone has this problem.

Chippy and Hamster make very valid points.

The OP has already said he is right eye Dom....

There are many reasons to miss ABT rising left (for a right hander) feet, head, jumping target, butt to low (classic for left high miss on ABT), and even pitch.

OP......All of us who actually 'are' coaches have given you the best advice.....see a coach....but.....make sure if trap is your game....that you see a trap coach.

Good luck.

Nic I am definitely not disagreeing with your wisdom but the man changes from shooting one eye open to two both open and develops problem with right /left targets and its the fact that he is standing too far right? He never had this problem before he shot with his left eye closed... his trap shooting immediately improved after changing to shooting both eyes open ...so he said "shot them better when shooting with one eye, I only switched about 2 months ago my trap scores increased straight away" so he did better with left/right and straight aways both eyes open ? He never mentions any change of stance or where he stands but he developed the problem by opening his left eye.... fascinating.

Nic I am definitely not disagreeing with your wisdom but the man changes from shooting one eye open to two both open and develops problem with right /left targets and its the fact that he is standing too far right? He never had this problem before he shot with his left eye closed... his trap shooting immediately improved after changing to shooting both eyes open ...so he said "shot them better when shooting with one eye, I only switched about 2 months ago my trap scores increased straight away" so he did better with left/right and straight aways both eyes open ? He never mentions any change of stance or where he stands but he developed the problem by opening his left eye.... fascinating.
Good....because as you said....you are self taught....and there is an awful lot to learn in trap shooting.

Of course you have not seen the man shoot but give me the rational that because he is now shooting better both eyes open on all other trap targets other than right left on stations 1 and 2 and has it would appear developed a bad habit of standing too far right only after opening his left eye when shooting ?? Why would this happen? Its a sudden departure and its consistent... it would appear but only right to left 1 and 2 probably his easiest extreme traversing target, he has improved every other target on average  because he has seen his scores go up immediately but he is missing the targets mentioned??  And his sporting has gone down the pan totally? All because he opened his left eye when shooting the target ...Fascinating!

Could be your stock to low.
I'm gonna go with Chippy on this one.

You have just changed from shooting with your right eye, to both eyes and you are right handed.

Your ABT scores have improved  but you are now missing R/L birds.

This suggests that you were missing more targets that were not R/L, when your left eye was shut as you could not see them as well as you can now.

I would say, that it is possible your comb is too low and your right eye is partially obscured by the back of the action.  Previously, with just one eye there is no dominance issue, There is only one choice for your brain, regardless of how obscured that view might be.

You will see R/L birds quite nicely, when shooting with just the right eye, pick them up and off you go, but targets on the other side of the gun are less visible.

What is probably happening, is on some targets your left eye IS taking over, because your right eye is obscured and your brain now has a choice of "Cameras".  So while you are not applying lead (from what I understand of Trap, you just shoot it), you are shooting in front of the R/L targets, because your left eye is shooting them.

Sporting is sporting...are you shooting gun down?

Anyway, the simple fact is; you have changed one thing - the number of eyes involved.  So probably stance etc, though valid, is not the issue.

Easy enough to try.  Raise your comb up by 3-6mm with a suitable material (card and tape).

I would say, that it is possible your comb is too low and your right eye is partially obscured by the back of the action. Previously, with just one eye there is no dominance issue, There is only one choice for your brain, regardless of how obscured that view might be.

Bravo an excellent possible reason!

Latest posts

Back