wabbits

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

We have a small caravan / camping site and have always had wabbits at top end were there is a bit of a slope. It's never been a problem as slope bit meens it's not usable for pitching caravan however the afforsaid wabbits have now migrated to another area as well and indications are that work (without planning permission I hasten to add) has started on another dwelling in an area that could pose a threat to one of our customers twisting an ankle in wabbit hole.

So considering a cull using air arms .177 S400 

am I fighting a losing battle, Is it worth the effort and if it is any advice on best time of day etc etc. Oh and do I have to wear cammo and look like a pratt etc etc 

No Camo needed, BUT if you must  :ph34r:    just a bit of stealth needed really. You could always make a hat out of the skins, which you could wear on the cold days at the DTL range. Then theres all the wabbit stews.

Early morning, evenings are usually good times, but some sit out all day if not disturbed. Young'ens this time of year though. Thwack - right between the ears, job done

I like the idea of davey crocket hat. Was thinking dusk as we Rarely see any during the day as usually have dog with me who incidentally has found a great game it's called .......

Deliberately drop ball in wabbit hole then watch arse of an owner lie on floor with arm in said wabbit hole trying to retrieve. It's a jolly fun game but has cost three balls in ten days.

Ips, if you need a hand just ask. Night Vision in total darkness. Joe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Better to shoot bunny with air rifle or a .410 ?

410.. semi auto with multichoke. 

They are colourblind to Blue especially Levi 501 blue. :)

Ps 

What is max effective distance for  clean bunny kill with full power 12 ft lbs. .177 and we're is best place to target. ?

Highly accurate rifle with very good scope and good shot so confident to be able to place shot in a 1" group at 40yd weather permitting.

I've a .410 you can borrow and or a .22 Air rifle 

Would be no problems. 

The .22 is what I use in the garden and they don't like it much. 

Very kind offer Jeremy.  Are you saying 177 is not up to bunny cull, I have always prefered the flatter trajectory and higher speed of the 177 but I accept it doesn't hit as hard as 22. Having said that a 177 flat head prob hits as hard as a bog std 22. 

With aa sub 12ftlb .177 I think 30/40 yards is about as far as I'd go. A good headshot out to 50yds is probably lethal, but closer in is probably more effective. The pellets you use will also have an impact on distance. I have some that will drop a pigeon at 25yds stone dead, but aren't so good at 35; others will stop them at 50yds...

A night vision scope for evening shooting is probably what you need for the biggest bag, without the need for lots of camo igear.

In terms of air rifle vs .410, unless the .410 is moderated, I'd stick with an air rifle, as the report will likely make them scarper after the first shotshot, a mod'd air rifle will let you take out a few before they realise what's happening.

I'm sure there'd be a few people here willing to lend you a hand if you want!

Cheers BTC 

Yes although I am good for fifty I was thinking more thirty yd. I can set up a hide hole at thirty no prob. I have accupels which after exhaustive tests group the best. 

I use a cheap 22. Good for about 35 yards. 

The bunnies that the boys don't get/see off, I get. Great fun. Oh and there's the woodies too ?

.177 is fine up to 40m as long as you are a competent shot, don't bother during the day, night vision is nice but I use a lamp (LED torch mounted on my scope) if they don't like the light use a red filter.  My rifle is an HW100 runs at 11.7ft lbs and will kill a rabbit stone dead, with a head shot, at 40m.

If you do need a .410, I have a Webley bolt action that you can borrow. It handles a bit like a DT10 verging on an SO6, so should be OK for you     :smile:

Cheers Andy good info.

We're is the absolute best place to hit bunny head for very clean kill ?

Cheers Keith

Kind offer will let you know. 

There used to be some very good rabbit shooting films on TV years ago they were very informative. Your can probably still find them on YouTube. Just trying to think of the name of the presenter.

I remember Elmer Fudd.

Latest posts

Back