Warm up stands at shoots.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sailing, gliding. Lots of money involved and no practicing on a course beforehand. :)
Don't recall saying the Rosso quote in Nimbusgb post above.

Disagree with the sailing. When I was competitively sailing I always had a warm up. You have to sail to the start point anyway. 

Is gliding a competive sport? How does that work!!! No warm up !!! How does it get in the air? Is that not warming up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree a warm up stand with say 5 pairs, would be a good idea, and I for one would certainly use it before starting the main course, simply to 'warm up' and blow away the cob webs. It is not always easy to pick the easiest stand to start on, especially if you are squaded and first to shoot.  Also nerves sometimes can play a part in how you begin and a few shots without pressure could have a settling effect, without the expense of paying for a pool shoot of 25 targets, which can demoralise you before you begin. I believe Steve Lovatt did post something on this forum some time ago,  that he was going to try it and he may have even set something up at his shoots, would be interesting to hear how it went? 

Disagree with the sailing. When I was competitively sailing I always had a warm up. You have to sail to the start point anyway. 

Is gliding a competive sport? How does that work!!! No warm up !!! How does it get in the air? Is that not warming up.
​I agree that sailing you do certainly get a "warm up".. I raced for over twenty years, and you are always allowed to "check the line" (start line) and sail upwind for a couple of tacks before every race......You just need to be on the correct side of the line when the gun goes off....

If I shoot a pool shoot I know how i am going shoot the main round. Shoot it well = bad score  shoot it badly = good score. So a warm up stand would save me a fortune. If I shoot well I could cut my losses and go home.

Gliding is highly competitive. Tasks are set on a day depending on the class of ship flying, standard, racing, 18meter, open etc.  A nationals will see tasks of 300 to 500 km set , in countries with better conditions I have seen 750 or 800 set and iirc one nationals in South Africa set 1000km on at least 1 day for the open class. The goal is to fly round the out and return, triangle or irregular course fastest. Average speeds are usually above 100kph and on shorter tasks could be 175 or more. By 'dolphin flying' you can follow a street of lift for long periods without stopping to turn in lift, just chasing a straight or sawtooth flight line. 

( in case you are interested the longest glider flight out to 2 turnpoints and returning to take off point is just over 3000km and the highest gain of height is over 50000' ......... And all without an engine. )

i,ve been racking my brains at work today ( i know how sad working on sunday , when i should be shooting )

the only sport i could think of is boxing, i ca,nt remember seeing mike tyson knocking hell out of don king before

fighting evander holyfield, although that would be a good fight and i,d pay to see that

Many shooters travel long distances to shoots. To expect to be able to go straight into competion mode and shoot well I would think is difficult for most. It takes me a good couple of stands to get into the shoot by then I will have dropped some clays. Then I start thinking what's the point. Traveling all that way to put a poor score in on the first couple of stands it then effects the rest of the shoot.

Pool shoots are at some shoots and I do use these, but not everywhere.

Shoots should offer warm up stands especially at reg and big comps.
Looking at our cards at Hornet today we could have both done with a few warm-up shots.

i,ve been racking my brains at work today ( i know how sad working on sunday , when i should be shooting )

the only sport i could think of is boxing, i ca,nt remember seeing mike tyson knocking hell out of don king before

fighting evander holyfield, although that would be a good fight and i,d pay to see that
​Sparring..they train with other fighters who have a similar style/copy the style  of there opponent.

​they warm up on the pads\bag before a fight. Not exactly the same but a decent warm up.

Looking at the scores at a lot of shoots, it appears the top boys(and girls) might not need (or want) a warm up stand but I bet there are many more who shoot each weekend that would benefit from 15-20 practice targets and would probably enjoy their reg comp as a result.

I like this idea as usually struggle on the first couple of stands. That said at Churchills last Thursday I straighted the first two so something to be said about picking an easier stand to start on. Just seems a bit of a pain though.

The big boys and girls dont seem to struggle. I guess its the mental side of our sport - the same that keeps your mind focused even if you miss an easy pair.

With target shooting you get sighters which helps to settle you down and relax as well as seeing what the wind is doing to your fall of shot.

Full bore shooters only get three sighters though I believe but small bore sighting shots are unlimited in number but restricted in terms of time in that your sighting and comp shots have to be completed within the time allowed for the comp.

No shooting allowed on the range of a comp prior to the comp.

Most sports are not fair on those with limited funds. A lot of shooters manage to cram in 2-3 shoots in one day or over a weekend so no shortage of money here.

Having a warm up or being able to buy two cards isn't going to effect funds much might be cheaper if staying at one shoot and not travelling to others on the same day.

Can anyone name a sport where there is no warm up?
Yes..............Tiddlewinks. You just have to go straight in an "tiddle yer wink" without any warm ups. They do often have a brazier burning for those that require a warm up, but it usually surrounded by all of the  Winkers !

Latest posts

Back