When to remove slip?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1970

When do you remove your gun from the slip? I've seen some people do this in the car park and then wander in to pay their dues before starting shooting, ive seen others carry thier gun in the slip get there card and go outside before removing the gun. Is there a correct time or etiquette or is it just personal preference?

I don't know about any actual rules as such, as a trap shooter it seems that most of us leave our guns in the cars until we are ready to go onto the line. Some will carry them in slips to the line, some don't.

I like carrying my gun in a slip as I find it easier on some of the grounds.  Tony on the other hand lives for the day when the weather is good enough to carry his gun without a slip although having said that he quite often carries his gun in the bad weather without a slip also.  

What's a slip ?

What's wrong with a shoulder ?

Gulp

protect against bits of clay you say. Definitely taking my slip then and definitely not using the eell :)

What's a slip ?

What's wrong with a shoulder ?
Apparently people don't like being whacked around the head - remember we do quite a lot of walking around a sporting course.

Walking ?

Didn't sign up for strenuous exercise.

Phil is this true am i expected to walk around with all that hog roast digesting ?

Gulp

protect against bits of clay you say. Definitely taking my slip then and definitely not using the eell :)
Yes, most of us who shoot ESP wear a full chainmail armour whilst shooting to protect against broken clays, especially on hot days.... :wink:

Apparently people don't like being whacked around the head - remember we do quite a lot of walking around a sporting course.
Agreed, over the shoulder is not good. Had a few knocks from 6ft plus guys who turn around without looking!

Yes, most of us who shoot ESP wear a full chainmail armour whilst shooting to protect against broken clays, especially on hot days.... :wink:
I never did shoot much sporting, but those bits that come toward you really did hack me off!!! It's probably one of the reasons that I only ever shot it a few times.

When do you remove your gun from the slip? I've seen some people do this in the car park and then wander in to pay their dues before starting shooting, ive seen others carry thier gun in the slip get there card and go outside before removing the gun. Is there a correct time or etiquette or is it just personal preference?
Gun comes out the slip at the stand when I'm ready to shoot. My skeet friends find this hilarious, but if it's in the slip I have less to be concerned about. Rain, having it knocked over, someone banging things against it accidentally. 

Ok noted

gun over the shoulder is frowned upon at sporting shoots.

Very complicated this sporting mallarkey, many rules much etiquette many different targets. Phew

same as needing a wizz I would have thought, take it out as and when needed!

Have to admit i'm an over-the-shoulder-beretta-holder...

I think there's a 12 step program to sign up to somewhere 

If you've had to re-mortgage to have a custom stock made, as I did, then it comes out of the slip to shoot, then goes straight back in!  There can be broken bits that take a dive towards you sometimes!  If the bits hit you on the head, you'll be fine, being a trappie, but if it hits the gun, you'll be cursing yourself for not putting it away after your turn!

Latest posts

Back