Where to start?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

So it appears that Father Xmas and the puppy stork are delivering a new addition to the household around Easter time. A breeder friend of my wife has cockerpoo/cocker spaniel litter due shortly, the bitch comes from a line of award winning agility champions and the dog is a working pedigree which seeks to be the closest we will get to a low allergy pet and rough shooting companion.

Looking for advice 'ground up' from how to choose pup, through what stuff we need to buy (and what is a waste of time), through to diet and how and when to start training, books to buy, etc

Thanks

pup will choose you ?

cant wait to read updates of your doggie journey ?

IPS is partly correct.

Go to view the litter and spend a good 45 minutes or more watching their behaviour, if possible choose the bold mischievious one which if you are late viewing will have been snapped up. Many people ignore the shy retiring one or one that appears submissive or the one that is hanging back , but in my experiance especially if it is a bitch will turn out a fabulous faithful companion providing you give it love and attention.

Once purchased take to a GOOD Vet for an examination especially with these interbreds check ALL legs and joints for mobility . Corrective surgery will be in the order of £3,000 per leg .

Continue to feed with what it is already used to for a while , slowly introduce what is readily available locally to you and is affordable.Pups are like women , fussy , so start as you mean to go on " that's your food eat it or starve , it's your choice."

You will not go wrong with Peter Moxon's book or Keith Erlandsson's , I consider both as 'the bibles'  all other advice books are copies really..

Yes you should agree upon purchase that you will be having the pup vet checked and agree that if there are issues you can have your money refunded.

Any sensible breeder will be happy to agree , beware if not.

wish I had done that with the first Mrs nutcase. They would have been able to tell me that she had a human form of cocker rage syndrome then I could have returned her to the breeder for a full refund.

Brilliant, thank you so much

Another question, if the cockapoo (3/4 cocker) in question will be more of a pet than a gun dog, would you have the tail docked?

Thanks

I do prefer docked dogs , but providing it isn't too long (some do appear to be) I would be okay with a long tailed dog.

If any off you have read The Sun (Friday 6th ) and would like educating please pm me . Or look on The English Sringer Spaniel website and read about Sir Thomas Boughey, Aqualate Estate, Newport , Shropshire, or the origins of Cockers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently no one in Liverpool does and few in Shropshire. 

I think most of what they print is drivel .

Written by Tits? :lol:

Got our first family dog coming end of Jan. Lovely golden lab from neighbours who have very established breeding. Should be great but lifestyle change coming!

Would that be a Yellow Labrador or a Golden Retriever?

February , your family will be complete, Son will give up Rowing , Wife will give up Boots and Handbags in favour of Dogbeds and designer Leads and you will be complaining about the price of Nylabones and Bonio's.

Happy Days  :smile:

Bought the runt of a litter of springer spaniels. Has hip trouble if exercised too much but as she is a pet we just keep it within reason, not always easy as she would happily run till she dropped. Sheds hair almost year round, can't stay out of water, the muddier the better. Lives on the couch and when she drinks she dribbles water everywhere. Can turn a bowl of food into 3 or 4 steaming piles, especially when there are limited facilities to clean up.

I'd sell one of the kids before I gave her up!

Remember the old saying,

"The man makith the dog..."

...in other words, how you dog turns out is a direct  result of how you have treated it and everything you have done with it!!!

First thing to do is find a vet. Your pup will need its second set of jags (breeder should have given the pups their first) and wormer. Pups get wormed from their mothers milk, so all pups need wormed, just in case!!!

I (and Mrs ShootClay) would love a dog - but we live in a small house, with a small garden, and I don't think it would be fair to keep an active pooch there. 

About a year ago, we came very close to getting one - at the time, I worked mostly from home and we could have adapted well - but my new job keeps me out of the house all day so I'm glad we didn't go down that road. 

I read these posts with real envy, in time when circumstances change, I'll join in!

Would that be a Yellow Labrador or a Golden Retriever?

February , your family will be complete, Son will give up Rowing , Wife will give up Boots and Handbags in favour of Dogbeds and designer Leads and you will be complaining about the price of Nylabones and Bonio's.

Happy Days  :smile:
Not sure of the exact type. It's got teeth and a tail. Is there a serial number I can find and check?

Yellow  Labrador!

View attachment IMG_0838.MOV

IMG_6294.JPG

Remember the old saying,

"The man makith the dog..."

...in other words, how you dog turns out is a direct  result of how you have treated it and everything you have done with it!!!

First thing to do is find a vet. Your pup will need its second set of jags (breeder should have given the pups their first) and wormer. Pups get wormed from their mothers milk, so all pups need wormed, just in case!!!
Yes, good advice, as we have been told. Thankfully we have very experienced friends supplying the pup. They have their own and have done for a few generations so good advice coming and only next door if needed. It's also good because we have been visiting a few times a week since birth, so hopefully not a vast shock when we actually take him. Other friends and neighbours 2 doors down also have two labs. We went for a golden just because it would have been "black lab lane"otherwise.

enjoy your dog Will.

do you intend to work him ??

Latest posts

Back