Who Doesn't like A Semi....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To counter.

I find a semi slick to load. Way to use. Lighter and more manageable etc.

Never had a hurt thumb or anything like that.

Spent cartridges take moments to collect with a magnetic stick.

Seen many people happen to eject their OU all over the place just as much. I’d argue a semi owner would be more conscious of spent cartridges so keen to clear up. But accept as a general rule of thumb it’s not as easy as an OU.
You wanted thoughts, not an argument which is better. I gave you my thoughts and now you want to argue with them.

I own both a K80 and an A400. And an MK38 and a couple of Turkish ones in 20 and 410.

I grew up in a council house is south london, don't think that's terribly elite in most people books.

Re: what professionals use. There ain't many professionals in the UK, it doesn't pay. If you're asking what do the most successful competition shooters use, I'm pretty sure that if you asked most AA and AAA class sporting shots what they use, it wouldn't be a semi-auto. I've done 30 CPSA Reg sporting comps this year and I don't have to take my socks off to count the number of semi-autos I've seen in use.

Go look at Charlie Faulds Youtube videos of competition finals and shoot offs from a load of the major comps this year. See how many semi-autos you spot. That'll probably answer your question on what the 'professionals' use better than a US forum post.

Go look at Charlie Faulds Youtube videos of competition finals and shoot offs from a load of the major comps this year. See how many semi-autos you spot. That'll probably answer your question on what the 'professionals' use better than a US forum post.
I seem to recall Duncan Lawton doing rather well, using a Remmie 1100.

You wanted thoughts, not an argument which is better. I gave you my thoughts and now you want to argue with them.

I own both a K80 and an A400. And an MK38 and a couple of Turkish ones in 20 and 410.

I grew up in a council house is south london, don't think that's terribly elite in most people books.

Re: what professionals use. There ain't many professionals in the UK, it doesn't pay. If you're asking what do the most successful competition shooters use, I'm pretty sure that if you asked most AA and AAA class sporting shots what they use, it wouldn't be a semi-auto. I've done 30 CPSA Reg sporting comps this year and I don't have to take my socks off to count the number of semi-autos I've seen in use.
Correct I did want thoughts and not to argue.

I think I have my answer overall now anyway thank you.

To me it seems the way people in different countries view different guns is very evident.

I’ll only add that I believe a man by the name of Joseph Fanizzi won a world championship in his class using a semi auto. Yes, in America.

Browning 2000, THAT was probably the worst auto ever made......! 😂
The best sounding auto in the world to load , all steel , and a very pleasing noise when it cycles . A proper thing engineered , and built in Belgium I believe . Never an issue with it as long as you used ‘Manly ‘ cartridges with a bit of poke and decent shot weight . My mate had the skeet and trap barrel set for it . We even shot rifled slug out of it at 100m on the old MOD range at Hawksworth If I see a nice one about one day , I’d buy it just to have it , they’re as cheap as chips now . same with the old Auto 5 recoil , that’s another I’d like to have just for the sake of it . There was a chap shooting one at Thimbleby a while back , must have been well over a hundred years old . As a competition tool , shooting light loads you’re right though - forget it it’s not fit for purpose .

The best sounding auto in the world to load , all steel , and a very pleasing noise when it cycles . A proper thing engineered , and built in Belgium I believe . Never an issue with it as long as you used ‘Manly ‘ cartridges with a bit of poke and decent shot weight . My mate had the skeet and trap barrel set for it . We even shot rifled slug out of it at 100m on the old MOD range at Hawksworth If I see a nice one about one day , I’d buy it just to have it , they’re as cheap as chips now . same with the old Auto 5 recoil , that’s another I’d like to have just for the sake of it . There was a chap shooting one at Thimbleby a while back , must have been well over a hundred years old . As a competition tool , shooting light loads you’re right though - forget it it’s not fit for purpose .
Bloody ell, I'll be lucky if I can shoot until my late eighties ! 😂

Seen miss fires with the bottom barrel on o/u yet never had a miss fire with my benelli and take no notice of the action of the bolt. Never fails to cycle a cartridge, Like the gun so much when i spotted another one for sale in good condition at a very good price I brought it as a spare, but not needed to use it yet, one day may be 😊

Was surprised how many semi autos were in use at Eriswell today for the skeet masters, don't normally see that many at a skeet shoot, assume the slab of shells in a weekend played a part in a few decisions.

Was surprised how many semi autos were in use at Eriswell today for the skeet masters, don't normally see that many at a skeet shoot, assume the slab of shells in a weekend played a part in a few decisions.
Eriswell is straight across the road from Lakenheath USAF air base, a lot of the american on there use the clayshooting ground, hence the popularity of the semi auto at Eriswell.

Eriswell is straight across the road from Lakenheath USAF air base, a lot of the american on there use the clayshooting ground, hence the popularity of the semi auto at Eriswell.
I go to Eriswell a lot. Rarely see semi autos there. Apart from mine.

I’m on a pretty relaxed Sim Day on Monday , I’ll use a slab of cartridges in a day perhaps 50 shots on a ten minute drive and that’s taking it easy.
I’m taking 2 properly fitted o/u guns , recoil is not a problem if your gun fits you and the cartridge is sensible for the weight of the gun .

Seen miss fires with the bottom barrel on o/u yet never had a miss fire with my benelli and take no notice of the action of the bolt. Never fails to cycle a cartridge, Like the gun so much when i spotted another one for sale in good condition at a very good price I brought it as a spare, but not needed to use it yet, one day may be 😊
A lot of the 'misfires' with the bottom barrel of an O/U could be avoided by cleaning the bottom barrel firing pin more often, especially with the Browning variations.

Back