Your views on laser clay shooting for practice, intro to shooting and competing?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, just wandering what the general view here is about the laser clay shooting systems. Usually advertised for experience days and fun events etc....but how do you feel about them as a serious training aid, introduction to shooting and also competing?

I know its not the real thing but what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Laser clays, as in the one where there is a real moving target and a laser in the gun? I did this once.. Absolutely useless for real clays as it it totally defies the principle of lead (forward allowance). Shooting AT the target is pretty unusual in real clays.

As for the computerised training systems, I have not yet seen one that makes sense either, beyond teaching you to mount the gun and point at something, but they may have moved on.

As for the computerised training systems, I have not yet seen one that makes sense either, beyond teaching you to mount the gun and point at something, but they may have moved on.
The DryFire system was being demoed at S&CBC conference. I want one! Anyway, you can use your own gun and it takes lead into account. I don't know what the experts thought though.

I have had a go at configuring and using a dryfire system with 2 laser units and it was pretty good.  I'd like to use one more. As Will says it's a good training aid. It's unlike laser clays in as much as you have to make right lead allowances for the targets, and get instant feed back.

In my view, it's about as much use as driving a shopping trolley around Tescos and then jumping into an F1 car and expecting to beat Lewis Hamilton.

Yes, I have done laser clays and Dry-Fire simulator type things, and I've shot the fairground rifle ranges too and won a fluffy toy, but Clay Shooting it ain't!  :smile:

I have a bore laser and it's been sitting in the drawer for 10 years now.  Where the laser goes and where the pattern actually hits are usually worlds apart.

http://www.tronspace.com/Pages/default.aspx
which is why a pattern plate is not much use either. lazer sighting works for  rifles and handguns, both as a guide to point of aim , but a moving shotgun`s POA is very different to a static firearm ,,you aim a rifle/handgun, and shoot with a shotgun!

Last edited by a moderator:
A patterning board, contrary to popular belief, isn't a definitive indicator of anything.  It's simply a tool and can often cause a GREAT deal of confusion from people that don't understand how to use it!  I use it only for checking barrel regulation from a bench rest, or, in some cases checking how a particular choke patterns (from a bench rest).  I know a lot of AA Trap shooters that can't hit a spot on a patterning board, but can consistently run 100 straights with the same gun.

Considering that few commercial airline pilots get more than a couple of hours in the real thing before stepping into the right hand seat these days to completely discount simulators is rather short sighted. I have used flight simulation packages for coaching ab-initio pilots with great success. Systems like dry fire may not be perfect but as their development continues I'm sure that as a coaching and learning tool they will become more and more prevalent. At this stage of development I'd say that relying too much on a simulator without input from a knowledgeable coach might be a little counterproductive. 

But ...... Shoot indoors out of the rain and the cold, low cost, zero or low noise, instant feedback, the benefits are immense.

I foresee even a recoil simulator at some point.

Came very close to buying one but to be honest I don't have the space to project a decent image.

But ...... Shoot indoors out of the rain and the cold, low cost, zero or low noise, instant feedback, the benefits are immense.

I foresee even a recoil simulator at some point.

Came very close to buying one but to be honest I don't have the space to project a decent image.
Due to current gun license laws here, we are operating the laser sport type for the time being to gauge an interest to the locals and visitors. We are also working on the recoil sims.

This is great feedback from you all, its interesting to hear. Thanks.

A patterning board, can often cause a GREAT deal of confusion from people that don't understand how to use it! 
Exactly!

However, if you do know how to use it........................... it is priceless!  :wink:

In my view, it's about as much use as driving a shopping trolley around Tescos and then jumping into an F1 car and expecting to beat Lewis Hamilton.

Yes, I have done laser clays and Dry-Fire simulator type things, and I've shot the fairground rifle ranges too and won a fluffy toy, but Clay Shooting it ain't!  :smile:
+1

So, catch and release clay shooting?  That big open space just in front of Buckingham Palace would be a great place for a public demo, eh?

Does anyone remember a similar topic where nicola pointed out the dangers of laser clays to our sport,regarding the message it sends out to antis.

Latest posts

Back