32gm 5's

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr grumpy

I have joined a new syndicate for this season and the birds are somewhat higher than I'm used to.
Can anyone recommend a 32gm 5,non plas wad, that doesn't kick like a mule?

A hull is probably your softest bet? They will do a nice 32 grm load. Avoid rc as they are punchy!(good but punchy) I find some gamebore thumpy to like but it’s all what you fancy trying really. Hill would be my one to try.

I'd go the same as dsh above, Hull High pheasant extreme or eley Zenith are pretty easy on the shoulder. Bear in mind the hull are Continental shot sizes so a 5 is more like a 4.5 and so on. I shoot them in a 32 gram 6 which is a lovely cartridge.

Assuming lead shot here, as I’ve never used steel . Anything from B&P with the Gordon System case head is worth a try . This used to be standard on Gamebore Black Gold game cartridges which were lovely with that head , but they no longer use it . Last season I used the same mix as Jonny recommended and I too prefer 6 .,

I have joined a new syndicate for this season and the birds are somewhat higher than I'm used to.
Can anyone recommend a 32gm 5,non plas wad, that doesn't kick like a mule?
you don’t say how high, but do consider the potential for the pattern to fail before the pellet energy. If as you say only somewhat higher a 32gm 6 is still an option if considerably higher the 36gm 5 may be needed.
As said most EU lead cartridges size 6 will be 2.7mm (5.1/2) not the U.K. size 6, 2.6mm. U.K. size 5 should be 2.8mm so not a lot between a 2.7 and 2.8.
If the shoot allows biodegradable plastic then the cartridges using a fibre wad with biodegradable plastic obturators should give a better pattern than the card type obturator. If you can use biodegradable plastic wads of the full cup type then that’s probably the best option.
Of course the shooting organisation want us all to be using non toxic shot for live quarry shooting.

Last edited:
I find that the most important thing is shot size when shooting high birds. Stick to 32g start with 5s then if that doesn’t work move to 4s and so on up to number 2s if that doesn’t work move to 34gm or 36gm. Higher gram loads will have more recoil no matter what brand you use.
Preferred brands are Hull (very difficult to source over here, Ireland), or Gambore.

I've used Cheddite Royal drive through a sxs..they are copper coated and were good at distance . The fact that I don't remember the recoil must mean they were ok.

I find that the most important thing is shot size when shooting high birds. Stick to 32g start with 5s then if that doesn’t work move to 4s and so on up to number 2s if that doesn’t work move to 34gm or 36gm. Higher gram loads will have more recoil no matter what brand you use.
Preferred brands are Hull (very difficult to source over here, Ireland), or Gambore.
If you have to resort to doing this, maybe start to shoot birds that are more than within your capability ! Do you really believe that the smaller shot sizes 'bounce off' the birds you are shooting at ?

Latest posts

Back