Bagging time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the Whole Sport Plan 'used' to say.....Grow....Sustain....Excel...!! Now sadly changed to FKW....I have lost touch. But there is now something called 'Core' that seems to have a lot of money given to it.

Re Shootclay...you have grasped some of those (grow sustain) ideas.

Add at a later date 'Float' and will we see Shootclay Share options next.

:wink:

Shooters owning their shooting interests is a very interesting idea.

Last edited:
Well whoever is administering the system wants a kick up the arse. Rugby&DTC upload scores on the evening of the shoot and the scores for the 12th October are still not on there!!

As for the system why not simply drop the cut off for non-qualifying scores to 5%. This would require a lot of sand-bagging scores to be submitted to affect the overall average and would be a truer reflection of a shooters form. And then update the averages every three months.

DT
it is 5% for that funny trap stuff i thought?

Don't you think we have enough to contend with without moaning about bagging?  The "anti" brigade would love this, yet another sign of unrest within the shooting fraternity.

If some people want to squander their entry fee and put in a low score, simply to stay in a lower class so that they can pick up a few quid here and there for the next six months, let them get on with it!  I personally can't see that bagging is a problem - or indeed, actually happens.  The return for cheating is so miniscule that it's laughable - you'd have to be pretty thick to believe you'd be better off .  A few class wins here and there barely cover the cost of the entry, cartridges, travelling, food etc. so you'd have to be pretty hard up to begin with, and if that were the case, you'd not be shooting in the first place.  And as Martin said, no-one knows the cut-off point until the CPSA publish it, so you really think there are people out there who are so hard up that they'd gamble to win a few quid??

If it can be proved beyond doubt, then get on with it and stop the pious bitching.  I seriously doubt it can be proved, though.  Good luck in court, you'll need it!

Oh Dear!  That is why an organisation like the CPSA needs to have directors with some commercial savvy!  So we don't own the scoring classification system!  The longer it goes on the longer we are acknowledging his right, if it indeed exists, to the intellectual property and the more expensive it gets to get us out of it.  This may be where some good legal advice might be worth having if it has not already been done but it would need to come from an expert in this area of the law.  Nic said someone the NSRA employed but I expect that it was a third party self employed contractor or company not an employee.  Anyway we are where we are.

The NSRA classifications are always based on the best X number of scores in the last Y months for exactly this reason.  It strikes me that it would be just easier to discount more so called poor scores! 

I had a shocking round at Weston yesterday; recovering my brain about halfway round. Being a scores tracker, I knew that i needed to miss one clay on the last stand to get a score that would drop off my averages. Sorry, the desire to straight the stand wins.
And you handed your card in Will. Very surprised to see a couple that didn't!

Right so people actually 'try' to miss.....just to increase their chances of staying down a class and therefore 'possibly' winning their entry cost back...

Why are they shooting at all ....surely popping down to Bet365 would be more up their street if winning a few quid is that crucial?

When booking in yesterday I was asked why I'd chosen BO, to which I replied primarily to keep my shooting costs down but also because I don't do this to win money, I do it to get out on a Sunday morning, hopefully improve my shooting and then track progress (or regress) through the CPSA system.

Each to his own and I've no problem with people who want to shoot comp, but if winning an occasional £20 became the most important aspect of my hobby I think I'd pack it in.

Don't mean to rant, sorry....

Don't you think we have enough to contend with without moaning about bagging?  The "anti" brigade would love this, yet another sign of unrest within the shooting fraternity.

If some people want to squander their entry fee and put in a low score, simply to stay in a lower class so that they can pick up a few quid here and there for the next six months, let them get on with it!  I personally can't see that bagging is a problem - or indeed, actually happens.  The return for cheating is so miniscule that it's laughable - you'd have to be pretty thick to believe you'd be better off .  A few class wins here and there barely cover the cost of the entry, cartridges, travelling, food etc. so you'd have to be pretty hard up to begin with, and if that were the case, you'd not be shooting in the first place.  And as Martin said, no-one knows the cut-off point until the CPSA publish it, so you really think there are people out there who are so hard up that they'd gamble to win a few quid??

If it can be proved beyond doubt, then get on with it and stop the pious bitching.  I seriously doubt it can be proved, though.  Good luck in court, you'll need it!
read the seven deadly sins thread, if you do end up in a court battle chances are you wo,nt have a shotgun certificate much longer

Oh Dear! That is why an organisation like the CPSA needs to have directors with some commercial savvy! So we don't own the scoring classification system! The longer it goes on the longer we are acknowledging his right, if it indeed exists, to the intellectual property and the more expensive it gets to get us out of it. This may be where some good legal advice might be worth having if it has not already been done but it would need to come from an expert in this area of the law. Nic said someone the NSRA employed but I expect that it was a third party self employed contractor or company not an employee. Anyway we are where we are.

The NSRA classifications are always based on the best X number of scores in the last Y months for exactly this reason. It strikes me that it would be just easier to discount more so called poor scores!
What you on Bobby?? No one mentioned the NSRA. That is your lot not ours :laugh:

Carefully with the typing.

14.25 must be busy... :wink: or it is too tough to answer :laugh:

FAO Nick Whatissname. Suggestion #2

And so we go round again!! Same old arguement. It's almost like perpetual motion!  :fie:

Radical suggestion coming up (From one who doesn't give a damn about prizes and shoots only to challenge himself)

Scrap the classification system totally. Have a "highest score wins" policy. If you aren't good enough to win, then get better!!

The winning of a class prize is like winning the tallest dwarf competition - pretty meaningless.

It really p****s me off when someone gloats about winning  £xxx but has shot considerably less than the majority above them when they collect their class prize.

It's only rewarding failure. You didn't put in the highest score but are happy to fill your wallets with the hard earned from the other shooters. Disgraceful!!!!

I am not comfortable with the whole thing. Winning should be everything, but there should only be one winner.

Sandbagging has been going on since competition started. It's cheating, plain and simple. If you don't change it, sure as eggs is eggs, it will stay the same!!!!

Before you ask, I always shoot birds only if available and any cash winnings I have ever won have been left with the organisers to put to the charity they support.

Christ I've had a bad day!!! Mr Angry came out to play??  :biggrin:

FAO Nick Whatissname. Suggestion #2

And so we go round again!! Same old arguement. It's almost like perpetual motion!  :fie:

Radical suggestion coming up (From one who doesn't give a damn about prizes and shoots only to challenge himself)

Scrap the classification system totally. Have a "highest score wins" policy. If you aren't good enough to win, then get better!!

The winning of a class prize is like winning the tallest dwarf competition - pretty meaningless.

It really p****s me off when someone gloats about winning  £xxx but has shot considerably less than the majority above them when they collect their class prize.

It's only rewarding failure. You didn't put in the highest score but are happy to fill your wallets with the hard earned from the other shooters. Disgraceful!!!!

I am not comfortable with the whole thing. Winning should be everything, but there should only be one winner.

Sandbagging has been going on since competition started. It's cheating, plain and simple. If you don't change it, sure as eggs is eggs, it will stay the same!!!!

Before you ask, I always shoot birds only if available and any cash winnings I have ever won have been left with the organisers to put to the charity they support.

Christ I've had a bad day!!! Mr Angry came out to play??  :biggrin:
I will run with that.....you got my vote. All our shoots ZZ are scratch. All the international shoots anywhere are scratch.

Top dog

spot on my friend couldn't put it better myself. No class pay further down leader board. Sometimes I think the class system puts pressure on you to perform to a specific level even if it's not possible on the day such as bad weather or hard targets.

Latest posts

Back