Black spots on action

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzer

There are black marks appearing on the action of my Ultra Pro TS it just over 12 mths old
Any ideas what the problem could be?

If you look closely do they look like grey smudges/fingerprints? The finish on Browning and Miroku actions and forend metal work is silver nitride which I believe is a part of the hardening process. Unfortunately the surface of this is very thin and it can be susceptible to a tarnish/discoloration.

Apparently some people have "rusty" fingerprints which can cause this discolouration. On my Miroku there's a couple of spots from me carrying the gun by the action and on the forend iron whilst shooting during hot weather. However the marks have faded from normal use and routine cleaning since I first noticed them. Wiping down the gun after handling can help as well as wearing gloves when shooting (because of this I now wear macwet gloves and find them fantastic).

Last edited:
I am one, that has rusty fingerprints. I therefore use old fashioned methods of protection on my guns. I always wear gloves, summer and winter. Macwets for me too, except in hot weather, then I wear the Browning fingerless shooting gloves. I ALWAYS carry my gun in a slip, and I use motor oil on my 'oily rag'. Not the synthetic rubbish, but the old GTX variety, to wipe down the exterior metal. I have had Browning, Miroku or Winchester guns and the odd Beretta, and apart from the early days, before I found out about my rusty fingers, the finish on all of them was perfect. My current gun is a 40 years old Classic Doubles, which the finish on is still almost like new.7

Attachments

• 20230829_174016.jpg
    20230829_174016.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 1
I am one, that has rusty fingerprints. I therefore use old fashioned methods of protection on my guns. I always wear gloves, summer and winter. Macwets for me too, except in hot weather, then I wear the Browning fingerless shooting gloves. I ALWAYS carry my gun in a slip, and I use motor oil on my 'oily rag'. Not the synthetic rubbish, but the old GTX variety, to wipe down the exterior metal. I have had Browning, Miroku or Winchester guns and the odd Beretta, and apart from the early days, before I found out about my rusty fingers, the finish on all of them was perfect. My current gun is a 40 years old Classic Doubles, which the finish on is still almost like new.7
Unfortunately the discoloration on my Miroku happened before I realised I had rusty fingers on a long day shooting in hot/sweaty weather last summer. I've never had it happen before on any of my other guns and am always particular with cleaning and wiping my guns down after use. Normal routine cleaning has removed most of the marking and it really isn't too bad. Its the sort of thing you only really notice f you know its there and are looking for it. I've just put it down to a lesson learned and now always wear gloves alongside my usual maintenance routine.

Regarding the Macwet gloves I have the ones with the mesh backs and find them comfortable even in hot weather.

I have both styles of Mcwet, mesh backed summer and long cuff winter. I find them very good..........if it doesn't rain. Once they get wet, they are damned cold. I use a pair of leather golf gloves in the rain. I have sprayed the leather to keep it relatively waterproof. For summer use, I use the 'auto Macwets'. These have the finger tips missing after repeatedly getting caught in the loading of my semi auto. I keep them just for the auto ! 😂

I have both styles of Mcwet, mesh backed summer and long cuff winter. I find them very good..........if it doesn't rain. Once they get wet, they are damned cold. I use a pair of leather golf gloves in the rain. I have sprayed the leather to keep it relatively waterproof. For summer use, I use the 'auto Macwets'. These have the finger tips missing after repeatedly getting caught in the loading of my semi auto. I keep them just for the auto ! 😂
🤣

Back