Cheddite primer Issue

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P40warhawk

I recently received an order of Cheddite primers from Precision Reloading. The packaging is pink and blue and the trays are red and has CX2000 on the corner of the box. I had been told many times recently that the newer Cheddite primers are sized to .242” and were close in size to standard US manufacturer diameter and would not cause a problem switching back and forth between Cheddite and US made brands. I opened a package yesterday and found that the diameter for the Cheddite primers I received run between .244” and .245”. All of my Winchester primers measure.2415”. Have any of you run into this issue? I don’t know if Precision Reloading is still selling old stock. It would seem to me that having a diameter difference of up to .0035” larger, would be an issue going forward. If any of you have used the Cheddite primers that are this large can you tell me if you've had an issue going back to US made primers, I'd hate to have to start segregating hulls at this point. Thanks in advance for your help.

got some so will check the size and let you know ASAP but why would a manufacture spend a lot of money on tooling just to go from ,244” to .242” that’s two thousands of an inch probably within tolerance of the making of the tooling and wear before they renew the tooling.

We sell fiocchi 616 and 615 and used to sell the Rio primers before they were discontinued.

are you using EU manufactured cases/hulls or American.

I talked to the tech reps at Precision Reloading and Ballistic Products yesterday and both told me there was never a change made to make the Cheddite primer smaller. They are manufactured to a metric measurement that all hulls and primers made in Europe go by (my guess would be 6.2mm). The person I spoke with at Ballistic Products measured some Cheddite primers while we were on the phone and his measurements were .244” on all the ones he measured. By the way the gentleman I spoke with at Precision Reloading mentioned they purchased all of their Cheddite primers from Ballistic Products and that there are only two importers for those primers in the US. I am currently using Winchester AA compression formed hulls I also have a supply of Remington gun club hulls which I will start to use when the Winchester hulls can't be reloaded. By the way .0025" to .0035" is not within tolerance. This afternoon I measured the primer pocket holes after de-priming some of the Winchester hulls and they measured between .2395" and .240". those hulls have only been primed with Winchester primers. I loaded 100 hulls with the Cheddite primers today, and we'll shoot them tomorrow. After that I will reload these with Winchester W209 primers to see if there are any issues. I will also be measuring the primer pocket hole to see if they have been stretched out.

The ones I have measure .243 using a mitutoyo micrometer.
However unless the micrometer is calibrated to a known standard regularly no guarantee of the accuracy, we all just trust the measurement to be correct.
Primer shape can also be different some have a slight taper.
Not easy to measure the diameter of a taper.
I would expect CIP most likely have a standard for primers which would set the acceptable tolerance. 0.002” may be within tolerance.

“By the way .0025" to .0035” is not within tolerance.”
What definitive document are you using to arrive at that?

Are you possibly over thinking it, just make the cartridges and shoot them.

On Sunday, I was able to shoot 100 rounds of Winchester compression formed AA hulls that were reloaded with Cheddite primers. This morning, I deprimed a few and took some measurements and discovered the primer pockets were larger than hulls that had been primed with W209 primers. On 3 or 4 of 10 hulls that I deprimed, I was able to easily push a W209 primer in with only light finger pressure. I also had one hull that when it was deprimed it was extremely difficult and bulged the brass in the outward direction on the base (see photo). All the Cheddite primed hulls we’re very difficult to deprime. At this point I think I will have to resign myself to segregating hulls that we’re primed with the Cheddite primers.

Attachments

• 20240910_112626.jpg
    20240910_112626.jpg
    598.6 KB · Views: 0
Are you in the USA? hence using Winchester cases with EU primers? Observation that the Americans like to reload the same case many times until they fall apart, we in the U.K. just reload EU cases once given any clay ground gives them away for free.
Unless 20ga, 28ga or ,410 then we may try and use them a few times.

We call them cases you call them hulls, guess the answer is to buy winchester primers but guess they are either not available or more expensive than cheddite.

Are you in the USA? hence using Winchester cases with EU primers? Observation that the Americans like to reload the same case many times until they fall apart, we in the U.K. just reload EU cases once given any clay ground gives them away for free.
Unless 20ga, 28ga or ,410 then we may try and use them a few times.

We call them cases you call them hulls, guess the answer is to buy winchester primers but guess they are either not available or more expensive than cheddite.
Yes I do live in the USA and yes I use US components, always have and always will as long as they're available. Due to shortages on primers I have been forced to purchase Cheddite primers like many others. If I could still get US made primers at a reasonable price, I wouldn't have any issues. I do reload my hulls until they become unusable, for example pin holes or torn folds or damage caused by repeated shooting, including evidence of loose primers which can usually be detected by dark powder burn marks around the primer hole. I inspect the plastic in metallic parts inside and out to make sure there usable and safe to reload. By the way I have very rarely heard empty shot shells referred to as cases. Cases is generally a term used more for metallic. I've been reloading for going on 45 years and like most of the shotshell reloaders I know, I have always called them hulls.

Yes I do live in the USA and yes I use US components, always have and always will as long as they're available. Due to shortages on primers I have been forced to purchase Cheddite primers like many others. If I could still get US made primers at a reasonable price, I wouldn't have any issues. I do reload my hulls until they become unusable, for example pin holes or torn folds or damage caused by repeated shooting, including evidence of loose primers which can usually be detected by dark powder burn marks around the primer hole. I inspect the plastic in metallic parts inside and out to make sure there usable and safe to reload. By the way I have very rarely heard empty shot shells referred to as cases. Cases is generally a term used more for metallic. I've been reloading for going on 45 years and like most of the shotshell reloaders I know, I have always called them hulls.

Just the difference in language, calling them hull or cases.
The last few years has seen availability of components become difficult wherever you live and prices sky rocket.
Like you I have reloaded for a similar length of time but in todays world it is becoming very much less advantageous to do so.

IMG_4287.jpeg

Latest posts

Back