Class Money

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unplugged

I have a question from "across the pond!" 

At a registered shoot, is class money (i.e. the purse) an included part of the shoot cost? Or is "purse" only an option..?

The reason I ask, is the NSCA some years ago made "money" an option at every shoot! So we basically shoot for fun at most shoots with a few guys playing "options" for money!

They did that to lower the costs of a shoot (no included purse in the entry fee).

So how are your shoots run?

Thanks 

Yes, like that. You can enter "competition" for typically £38 or "targets only" for typically £33. The results still get used to grade you, but you are in or out of the cash prize part.

I have heard it said a lot of times that the high gun prize is put up by the shoot organizers, so if you shot birds only are you still eligible for the high gun prize?.

I have heard it said a lot of times that the high gun prize is put up by the shoot organizers, so if you shot birds only are you still eligible for the high gun prize?.
Afraid not. High gun can win sponsored prizes and championships regardless of whether they shoot competition or targets only. But on a standard, everyday registered shoot, if someone enters targets only they can not win anything. Apart from the pool shoot of course. The high gun cash prize is separate from the prize fund and is provided by the owner/organiser of the shoot. Or should be at least.

Simple solution is for shoots to make this sort of thing plainly obvious beforehand.

A simple sign showing - 

• Targets only entries are not eligible for H/gun
  • £1 is charged for submitting scores to CPSA ( yes at least one ground does this! )
  • A little picture of the ground layout would be nice too, ( Some shoots have stands all over, some change them around  )
It's all very obvious to those that frequent grounds a lot but to newbies it can all seem a little intimidating. Wouldn't take a big effort, just a whiteboard with 'today's weird rules' displayed on it :)

I think the clue us in the wording "targets / birds only". You also pay less. Also not in competition . So why should they win anything.

It is funny but down here I would say that every day shooting in general is a fair bit cheaper than in the UK in every respect be it cartridges or the cost of clays etc... BUT...  when it comes to competitions it is more expensive! First up you cannot enter targets only the cost for a 100 UT target trap shoot is €40 or €45 of which €30 goes to the prize fund and the club keeps the rest. The prize fund is distributed in a format stipulated by the FFBT and as an example for a comp with 30 competitors the total prize fund is €900 the first and second get exactly the same prize money €90 each the third  gets €85 and the prizes the go down by €5 each place down to €25 for 15th place. So you can see it is quite different to the UK but there is no great emphasis put on the prize it is more about the fun of the day out.

John, I think in France you get a better deal all round mate, going by what you say above.

Afraid not. High gun can win sponsored prizes and championships regardless of whether they shoot competition or targets only. But on a standard, everyday registered shoot, if someone enters targets only they can not win anything. Apart from the pool shoot of course. The high gun cash prize is separate from the prize fund and is provided by the owner/organiser of the shoot. Or should be at least.
HG prize put up by the ground ? Birds only and cost of competition posted clearly at the entry desk ? ...them were the days hahaha 

What do they say? "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men".

You laugh Clynt but if a ground isn't doing this then they are more than likely screwing the system and the the shooter too if the truth be known.

Another thing - this charging a quid to submit scores business. Pay a quid to submit a good score? Or how about a quid to submit a bad score? Its a disgrace really.

One recent premier shoot ground never displayed, posted the winning fund / prize pot anywhere that I could find dispite having over 350 entries of which approx 280 paid an extra £5 to shoot the reg comp. I think it was £40 / 100 comp but may have been a bit less.

Nothing was displayed at the ground. No answer to emails either.

If you enter birds only you are obviously excluded from the prize pot of £5 per person.

If the high gun prize is given separately for anyone entering the competition by the ground then where does it say or not say that they are eligible for the ground prize or any any medals or cups not funded from the £5 per prize pot.

I'm speaking as a relative newcomer who doesn't get to many registered shoots and who isn't particularly interested in any prize money but who enters birds only as, at present, why should I give £5 extra entry fee for no chance of winning?  

To my mind the extra £5 goes into a prize pot and the winners take the relevant pro rata share.  Anything not related to this should be eligible to any entrant!  The extra £5 is just pure gambling by those that want to do so.  High Gun is High Gun regardless of whether they enter the gambling fund or not! 

There are very few times that it will be any different to what happens but if a Birds Only Entrant gets the highest score then he should get any High Gun Prize on offer by the ground as it is unrelated to the £5 per head cash pot unless any local rules declare otherwise.

I like to be controversial!

Stirring the pot Robert! Birds only gets the opposing parties going round here! :)

I repeat, if grounds made these things clear beforehand it would make arguments very difficult.

Robert - read the rules and regs section on the CPSA website. Its all laid out there very clearly. If you know the rules you can speak and argue from a position of strength. If you don't agree with these rules there are two options - become part of your county committee and let your opinions be known, gain support and make representations for change to the regional committee. The other option is to only shoot non - registered competitions where there are no rules and then you are on your own!

HG prize put up by the ground ? Birds only and cost of competition posted clearly at the entry desk ? ...them were the days hahaha 
You need to travel to East Anglia then !!!!

One recent premier shoot ground never displayed, posted the winning fund / prize pot anywhere that I could find dispite having over 350 entries of which approx 280 paid an extra £5 to shoot the reg comp. I think it was £40 / 100 comp but may have been a bit less.

Nothing was displayed at the ground. No answer to emails either.
Talk with your feet & dont go again then !!!

Latest posts

Back