Clay Cartridges??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holianl

Hi All, when it comes to buying cartridges do you buy cheap and cheerful or is there a specific make of cartridge people tend to buy. Do different guns like or dislike certain manufactures? Do i go out and buy 1000 cartridges for £350 or are the run off the mill more than adequate for clay shooting?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, dont buy 1k shells for £350

Find some you like,can get locally and are affordable.

Where are are you?

I have always bought whatevers on a deal, i have a small stockpile bought prior to previous increases.

No, dont buy 1k shells for £350

Find some you like,can get locally and are affordable.

Where are are you?

I have always bought whatevers on a deal, i have a small stockpile bought prior to previous increases.
Hi Rupert, Im based in the north west - is it common courtesy to buy clays at a shooting ground or do you always buy them from a shop?

Hi Lee,clays will always be provided by the ground for a cost you will never be expected to bring your own.

Can i ask if you have ever shot before and do you have a licence

By the way Welcome to the forum ;)

Hi Rupert, Im based in the north west - is it common courtesy to buy clays at a shooting ground or do you always buy them from a shop?
Like lancaster?

You dont need to buy shells at the ground,i do know of one that insists.

Hi Lee,clays will always be provided by the ground for a cost you will never be expected to bring your own.

Can i ask if you have ever shot before and do you have a licence

By the way Welcome to the forum ;)
Hi Schmokinn, i had my interview last week so hopefully my licence will be arriving in the next couple of weeks i have shot quite a few times over the past year  - i am talking about when i own my own gun just to clarify

Cheers

Like lancaster?

You dont need to buy shells at the ground,i do know of one that insists.
Sorry Rupert - Widnes just outside of Liverpool

if a ground charges corkage for shells they can kiss my derier (spellin)

shop, ground whatever but like Rupert says buy local buy available and at first buy dirt cheap and use your cash for shooting.

if a ground charges corkage for shells they can kiss my derier (spellin)

shop, ground whatever but like Rupert says buy local buy available and at first buy dirt cheap and use your cash for shooting.
This.

not many, know of one that only allows one brand. Its stupid.

Just one up here in West Yorks,that i know of and a high end place in london.

for me i tried every brand and type i could get my hands on and then settled on one or 2 i like and i use them now and buy them by the thousand .  the ones i settled on are Fiocchi F-Black and Hull Pro one , i pretty much use them all the time now , tbh there was only 1 or 2 cartridges i would flat out never use , even for practice .

starting out and just practicing you dont need to spend big money on cartridges they are all pretty good these days , just shoot, get used to the gun and get your eye in first

ive never heard of a clay ground insisting on you using their cartridges that seems stupid and tbh i prop wouldnt go there if they were that full of themselves . i have heard of places that insist on steel shot or fibre wad but never a specific make and model of cartridge 

there is at least one known to me Davy , unbelievable isn't it.

Some grounds have noise issues, they may have to use subsonic,or very strict wad rules,to insis on own shells actually protects  the ground for the future as shooters can be a bit daft and one will alus spoil it for others.

Some grounds may just be arrogant/greedy 

there is at least one known to me Davy , unbelievable isn't it.
insane , as rupert said i can understand from a licencing point of view that they may need to use subsonics / fibre wad / steel shot but all it would take is the guy running the range to say it to people coming in or to have a quick look at the lads cartridges as they come in to the shed . seems very excessive to insist that only their cartridges can be used  . especially if they are trying to run it as a business . that would put a huge amount of people off shooting there 

just for clarify the rule is only for practice days not comp but even so ...

just for clarify the rule is only for practice days not comp but even so ...
Rules ...............@ fauxdegla if you shoot in C or D class @ a registered OT on a Saturday and use 28 gram you are not allowed to win anything even if your Hi gun, but the CPSA rules say you can shoot 28gram in the lower classes in a registered event. No where at the ground or their  web site or fb does even mention it.

Rules ...............@ fauxdegla if you shoot in C or D class @ a registered OT on a Saturday and use 28 gram you are not allowed to win anything even if your Hi gun, but the CPSA rules say you can shoot 28gram in the lower classes in a registered event. No where at the ground or their  web site or fb does even mention it.
Perhaps it is in case you fall into one of those 'puddles', you would sink slower with 50,  24 grams in yer pockets  !

Back