Clay Cartridges??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a ground (brookbanks) down this way that insist you use one of two brands - hull or fiocchi. 

Made a mental note to put that ground at the bottom of my list. 

Last edited by a moderator:
if a ground charges corkage for shells they can kiss my derier (spellin)

shop, ground whatever but like Rupert says buy local buy available and at first buy dirt cheap and use your cash for shooting.
Arse - is the word your looking for.  :smile:

Well Lordy,    you will find that if you purchase 250 or 500 shells at Brook Bank they will be competitive!

Also the targets will be set correctly to the discipline is ABT or International skeet etc., it has a super clubhouse and toilets

A carpark and no need for wellies  to get around! You pays your money and makes your choice!

Still at the bottom of my list. 

I have no hassle with wellies, wear them a lot anyway. No hassle with mud either. All part of the charm of the countryside. Smell of cow sh.. poo is a bonus imo. 

I seriously doubt they are the only ground in driving distance of me to have things set correctly. (Not that I could tell the difference anyway, or really care) 

All I look for in a ground is to have a giggle, pass an hour or so in nice countryside and (maybe) break some clays. 

I'm after a social, informal pass time, not joining a country club. 

That you can use only two brands of cartridge is hardly a welcoming statement to a newbie, especially when this is rare amoung other grounds. Does not protect a great image, and judging by the other comments on this thread I doubt I am the only one to think that. 

Also what if I don't want to buy 250? Can I buy 50 for £5 ish a box? 

Im sure the accolades on the website are deserved so the ground is clearly doing something right, but just doesn't portray the kind of place I am after. 

So you are quite right, I can pay my money and make my choice; and it won't be at brookbanks for the time being. 

BrookBank aka Cheddar Valley Gun Club has been in existence for over 50+ years!  I shot  ISU skeet there 50 years ago,. As with all grounds they have had ups and downs with planners etc over the years!  The biggest problem with all grounds is NOISE!                   Wesley sells Hull and Fiocchi both are quality cartridges with reasonable noise levels. Why should a shooter use a cartridge that creates excessive noise and costs 20 pence a box less  be allowed to jeopardize a shooting grounds future?

BrookBank aka Cheddar Valley Gun Club has been in existence for over 50+ years!  I shot  ISU skeet there 50 years ago,. As with all grounds they have had ups and downs with planners etc over the years!  The biggest problem with all grounds is NOISE!                   Wesley sells Hull and Fiocchi both are quality cartridges with reasonable noise levels. Why should a shooter use a cartridge that creates excessive noise and costs 20 pence a box less  be allowed to jeopardize a shooting grounds future?
Genuine question Cyril - are they really less noisy than other brands?  I shoot Fiocchi so it would suit me but trying to understand what type of cartridge would be considered more noisy.  I realise large loads would be more noisy but most grounds restricting to 28g.

FBlacks are known to be noisier than average and they're made by Fiocchi last time I checked. The only way you could make an actual difference to noise levels is to shoot subsonics, the decibel differences between brands is not going to keep a ground open. 

If those cartridge are genuinely quieter and it is a planning condition then I absolutely understand the restrictions on other brands. To the layman it seems much more likely that they have a good deal with the manufacturers and are profiteering. Profiteering isn't necessarily a bad thing if it is needed for the survival of the business, but it should be made clear and not sold under the guise of (trying to think of a better phrase but failing) bullsh*t. 

The owners are to be commended for running a successful business for so long. Not entirely sure what it has to do with the subject at hand. At risk of repeating myself, it's obvious the ground is doing something right, but from what I see on the website it just doesn't portray itself as the place I want to go. 

If noise is the reason then why is that not stated on the website? (Plus, would love to see data on the veracity of that claim). Frankly I think there would be greater decrease in noise if loads were limited to 24g or under than limiting to certain brands, but what do I know.... 

I am certain I am orders of magnitude quieter not being at the ground than shooting any cartridge you care to name. 

Frankly, it's private land and a private business so they can demand whatever the hell they want, for whatever reason they want (if we want to be pedantic; obviously within legal framework) That's not in question.

Ultimately I find the brand restriction off putting. Without any explanation it comes accross as pretentious and not somewhere I want to go. I doubt I would be the only one to reach this conclusion. It's nothing to do with being selfish or wanting to shut down a ground for the sake of 20p. To suggest otherwise is slightly disparaging. 

I have no idea what connection to the ground you have, but maybe worth considering a very minor change to the website to address that. Or not. As the case maybe. 

If those cartridge are genuinely quieter and it is a planning condition then I absolutely understand the restrictions on other brands. To the layman it seems much more likely that they have a good deal with the manufacturers and are profiteering. Profiteering isn't necessarily a bad thing if it is needed for the survival of the business, but it should be made clear and not sold under the guise of (trying to think of a better phrase but failing) bullsh*t. 
Also. 

Basicly this.

Lordy, I have been in clay shooting for 50 years,   I am sure that Brook Bank don't give a toss if you never show your face there!   Mendip SG.              

has a noise problem and you have to use their brand of cartridges (1 choice)  Podimore has a noise problem!                                         Purbeck has a noise problem! (Certain cartridge restrictions). Why should any of these grounds want people like you to cause noise problems to save 20 pence a box?

Lordy, I have been in clay shooting for 50 years,   I am sure that Brook Bank don't give a toss if you never show your face there!   Mendip SG.              

has a noise problem and you have to use their brand of cartridges (1 choice)  Podimore has a noise problem!                                         Purbeck has a noise problem! (Certain cartridge restrictions). Why should any of these grounds want people like you to cause noise problems to save 20 pence a box?
I'm sure they don't. :)

Did you actually read my post? (Or anyone elses for that matter). The cost is actually pretty far down the list of reasons of why the statement on the cartridge restriction is off putting. If you want to impute bad motives to me then feel free, although it's a tad annoying it doesn't really impact my life or enjoyment of shooting.   

I believe that I have explained my self pretty coherently and eloquently. Your little rant there sums up why I will probably be avoiding brookbanks if you are representative of the calibre of person that frequents the place. 

I made suggestions on how perhaps things could be rephrased to avoid any misunderstandings. I, as well as others, have asked for some kind of information that informs the basis of the ground policy but you respond with thinly veiled personal insults.  

I'm not entirely sure why you are taking this so hard, after all, as you so eloquently put it I'm sure that the grounds won't give a toss if I go or not. 

Also, it's Lord V. Or Lord Vetinari. Not Lordy. 

"".......""""" Thread back on track ...... Holian by a cartridge what suits your budget an just shoot ,shoot, shoot , (obvisuley when you have all your gear ) 99% of cartridges are better than most of us shooters an at your level( no offence )  you will not tell a diffrance from one to the other ,as other sc members have said when you find one what ticks your boxes an you can get constant supply off stick with it .... just an idea for you if you want to shoot reg comps forget the dear cartridges get a mid range one an the money you will save other buying exspensives ones save the money and find a good coach with a good pedigree an start of on the right foot an get the basics ground in ?

"".......""""" Thread back on track ...... Holian by a cartridge what suits your budget an just shoot ,shoot, shoot , (obvisuley when you have all your gear ) 99% of cartridges are better than most of us shooters an at your level( no offence )  you will not tell a diffrance from one to the other ,as other sc members have said when you find one what ticks your boxes an you can get constant supply off stick with it .... just an idea for you if you want to shoot reg comps forget the dear cartridges get a mid range one an the money you will save other buying exspensives ones save the money and find a good coach with a good pedigree an start of on the right foot an get the basics ground in ?
Thanks Luke much obliged ?

Just to be absolutely clear as I think reading back this morning that people may have missed my point.

I am not advocating breaking ground rules and insisting on shooting whatever I please when I am there. As I stated previously, it's a private business and they can impose pretty much any restriction for pretty much any reason they want.

If I were to shoot at brookbanks I would abide by the rules of the ground and I would look dimly on any who didn't as those restrictions are clearly published. I would have no desire to cause issues for any ground. If I am not there, how am I causing issues for the ground? 

I honestly have no idea why people think I would be suggesting otherwise, but if that was the impression I gave I apologise.  

However, I as one punter amoung thousands, find that the statement on the website, as currently written to be pretentious and off putting as it could (perhaps) be easily explained. Nothing presented on this thread thus far has particularly dissuaded me from that view. 

I have no doubt at some point I will shoot at brookbanks, obviously abiding by the rules in place at the time. However for the reasons stated ad nauseum it still remains at or near the bottom of my list. Shooting is not, and is unlikely to ever be, at the top of my priority list. For me shooting is a bit of fun once a month or so, buying cartridges in bulk doesnt really afford me much cost saving. If it is a struggle for some to deal with that view I'm not sure I can assist any further. 

Must get out on the pigeons soon. Now 32g 6's.... they make a real bang! 

"Shooting is not, and is unlikely to ever be, at the top of my priority list "

Heathen!!!  :eek: :eek:
But I only sacrifice a goat on alternate weekends. :eek:  

I assume some sort of burning at the stake / flaying is coming my way.... :cool:

not top of my list anymore either lord v. Much rather work the dog or load for someone else these days.

Latest posts

Back