Collecting Prize money.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think "given to charity" after only three months I would call 101 and reports theft, I have money from the beginning of the year getting on for £300 that is not worth driving to until another shoot presents itself. Disgraceful.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Tink says.

3 months is unrealistic if you are somebody who shoots many different grounds. You can't get back there sometimes if it's one of the further afield ones. I once got told at a (now closed) ground that I was too late. I did point out that they had not had a reg shoot in the last 3 months, so I would not have been back in time, would I! They compromised and gave me half!

Last edited by a moderator:
So hang on, all this squealing about how birds only should be banned and then people who do pay into the pool aren't even collecting the money? 

*shakes head sadly*

Sequestrating prize monies after a certain amount of time does seem common place. I have to travel far and wide to get to a decent shoot, 1:30hr each way is probably the closest and due to work commitments I may not be able to return to any ground for some months. Just recently I shot a selection shoot some 4 hrs (one way) away and managed to place, I rang up the following week and explained due to time/distance that the next time I shoot there will probably be selection the next year so could they maybe post the winnings out?, Bloody hell! you'd swear I'd asked to borrow her daughter!, she was almost speachless!. In the end they did agree to get it sent down with another shooter to a ground half way between us where I could collect but I was left feeling as if I had asked something really very special of them. They could have written a cheque minus postage and I wouldn't have cared less.

The way we view prize money is that it is not ours. We collect it, we look after it, we distribute it back to the shooters based on results. We do not bank it or account for it (hence no cheques or bank transfer).

We do hold prize money for 2 years, if it has not been collected in that time it gets recycled back into the prize fund pot (if we have a £35 prize to split we use £5 out the pot and give both shooters £20). That policy is stated on our website.

The CPSA does need to tighten up all it's rules across the board not just with prize money, then you guys, the shooters, will get the same service levels at all grounds. Or maybe I'm just living on cloud cuckoo land!

How does HMRC feel about this? Surely you collect  £X entry fees and pay out £Y prize money £X-Y is income less expenditure (clays, wages, electric etc etc etc) is proft. I often pay entry fees by card as i don't tend to carry lots of cash. Surely that would leave a hole in the accounting???

Or do you operate strictly pound notes only only?

Sequestrating prize monies after a certain amount of time does seem common place. I have to travel far and wide to get to a decent shoot, 1:30hr each way is probably the closest and due to work commitments I may not be able to return to any ground for some months. Just recently I shot a selection shoot some 4 hrs (one way) away and managed to place, I rang up the following week and explained due to time/distance that the next time I shoot there will probably be selection the next year so could they maybe post the winnings out?, Bloody hell! you'd swear I'd asked to borrow her daughter!, she was almost speachless!. In the end they did agree to get it sent down with another shooter to a ground half way between us where I could collect but I was left feeling as if I had asked something really very special of them. They could have written a cheque minus postage and I wouldn't have cared less.
I bet if you had asked them to send the cheque to charity it would not have been a problem!!!

How does HMRC feel about this? Surely you collect £X entry fees and pay out £Y prize money £X-Y is income less expenditure (clays, wages, electric etc etc etc) is proft. I often pay entry fees by card as i don't tend to carry lots of cash. Surely that would leave a hole in the accounting???

It is not the grounds money.

This has been answered.

HMRC....if there were going to be interested in anyone....would be interested in the 'professional ' shooter.....as several high winners have found out to their cost in years gone by.

....true story

The odd winners do not have a problem.

Wow...Harry's South Pole Heroes.....now 'that' is people fighting to succeed. Fascinating.

Makes you never want to complain about anything again...!!

How does HMRC feel about this? Surely you collect  £X entry fees and pay out £Y prize money £X-Y is income less expenditure (clays, wages, electric etc etc etc) is proft. I often pay entry fees by card as i don't tend to carry lots of cash. Surely that would leave a hole in the accounting???

BO fee say £30 so prize fund entry fee £5. Only £30 accounted for to HMRC. All the various £5 prize entry fees are owed to the winning shooters so would be creditors if carried in the grounds books until money handed to shooters so nothing to account to HMRC.

Think of it like the office sweepstake on the grnd national. Everyone buys a horse for a £5 and the winners get the pool. No profit for the organiser is there.

Think of it like the office sweepstake on the grnd national. Everyone buys a horse for a £5 and the winners get the pool. No profit for the organiser is there.
You obviously never took part in my office sweepstake!

So one person turns up and shoots they win by default and take the £5 they put in home again. 2 people turn up its £10... etc etc so with class prizes its the people in that class that put in to that pot so if there are only 2 C class shooters who turn up they have a class prize win of £10?

You obviously never took part in my office sweepstake!

So one person turns up and shoots they win by default and take the £5 they put in home again. 2 people turn up its £10... etc etc so with class prizes its the people in that class that put in to that pot so if there are only 2 C class shooters who turn up they have a class prize win of £10?
This is where grounds may vary in what they do but the whole prize pot should be paid out to shooters and none should be kept by the ground. Some grounds may not keep a prize fund for each class relative to its entry but others might.

Anyway the whole prize money thing is irrelevant to me as I very rarely win any :)

I've class money at four or five grounds.

I hope it's there next time I visit.

If it isn't then they will loose an entry as I use the money to re-enter.

I shoot so at many different grounds there's sometimes months before I get back.

The prize money belongs only to the shooter. It cannot have a collection time limit put on it. If they do not send or transfer it...it has to be there for your next visit....no matter when.

They cannot give to a charity without the express agreement of the winner of the money....no matter what they publish on their websites. It can be challenged with the use of a good solicitor....and that...would not be about the money...it would be about the principle. Name and shame....so others can decide if the shoot is worth the bother to 'you' attending.

The fact is that when you enter a bet (paying competition entry fee) the bet has to be paid.

I am not talking about any ground putting a HG or any other prizes...because that is up to them to decide any time frames. But competition entry is different. It is a collection of the shooters money. When paid out...it is signed for.

What is the problem putting it in an envelope in the safe until the shooter turns up....none

I have never come across a bad payer.

Went to Gunsite in the spring, went to pay for the card the lady gave me two envelopes that I did not ask for containing £60.

I don't win much so this was nice and honest.

No problems at Churchills or Southdown althoe I'm told Southdown is three months but I am unsure of this so would welcome correction.

Latest posts

Back