Collecting Prize money.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The prize money belongs only to the shooter. It cannot have a collection time limit put on it. If they do not send or transfer it...it has to be there for your next visit....no matter when.

They cannot give to a charity without the express agreement of the winner of the money....no matter what they publish on their websites. It can be challenged with the use of a good solicitor....and that...would not be about the money...it would be about the principle. Name and shame....so others can decide if the shoot is worth the bother to 'you' attending.

The fact is that when you enter a bet (paying competition entry fee) the bet has to be paid.

I am not talking about any ground putting a HG or any other prizes...because that is up to them to decide any time frames. But competition entry is different. It is a collection of the shooters money. When paid out...it is signed for.

What is the problem putting it in an envelope in the safe until the shooter turns up....none
Spose if we're being all legal it should really be put into a customer account if they have a problem with it in the petty cash tin.

I believe Four Counties state on their website prize money must be collected within 3 months, I have money there from February, I will have to wait and see what there reaction is when I go there again.

GREENI said:
As a newbie....

I've seen the odd thread that people don't hang around after comps, which is bad for the sport.

Don't grounds know who has won the comp as the day ends?

Can't the prize giving be done afterwards? 

Then people will be more likely to hang around for the results, the winner is announced and the winner collects his money to applause from onlookers (or jeers) ?
Some Shooters will shoot more than one competition a day.

Now greeni you are spot on my friend. Many years ago most clubs did indeed have prize giving and your right people did stay for it as it was nice to get applaud when you go up to collect your envelope what happened? Why did it stop I hear you say well that's a good question. I think that things changed when pre booking became normal were as before if you wanted to be on an early squad you turned up early if you were in no rush you turn up leisurely. Now you have the book squad four in advance turn up at ten thirty shoot and then begger off look on Web site later to see if you won. We used to have to wait to see if we had won otherwise you would not find out for one maybe two weeks. Oh how things have changed. God I feel old

Talking of the old days who remembers the score card you used to get every renewal and the excitement of the day the huge book of averages was delivered to your club. Matt at Westhoughton gc god rest his soul used to put high lighter through the names of all of us regulars to make it easier to check our class for that year. We're things better in the old days ? Yes they jolly well we're.

Yeap.....prize giving used to be an honour....now people just f eck off if they have not won....and bigger names just do that anyway.... :wink: how times have changed.....

GREENI said:
Cheers for the replies.

Every day is a 'school day'.

Forgive my dumbass questions, I'm trying to sponge as much info as possible.
My friend it is dummer not to ask questions than to ask so you carry on as you are.

True but I never understood the mentality of shooting a comp then rushing off god knows how far away to shoot another. I never had the energy Furthermore if your not knackered after a comp you didn't put everything into it. Takes me a few days to recover from a big shoot.

True but I never understood the mentality of shooting a comp then rushing off god knows how far away to shoot another. I never had the energy Furthermore if your not knackered after a comp you didn't put everything into it. Takes me a few days to recover from a big shoot.
Only talking Sunday registered.
Majors sure I stay, the cheques are bigger....

Must admit I don't usually hang around after a major as usually a long drive home and rarely have an envelope to collect :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Only this month. Some of our top shooters shot Westfield Glostershire and Gunsite Wiltshire in the same morning.

They must have helicopters.

What happens if they don't win.

At Gunsite they were all between 92 and 98 ex 100 reg sporting.

So there were some not very happy and poorer pot hunters there.

Unless I have missed his post there is one very vocal shooting ground poster not posting on this subject.

Sort of wondered why.

I must be honest, I sorted out this problem years ago, here's how :-

Buy a crappy triggered Miroku that has to have new firing pins every 2 weeks.

Only buy dirty, punchy, Italian shot size and NOT English shot size cheap cartridges.

Change chokes at every stand around the shoot.

Concentrate more on hitting the bin with empties than hitting targets with the full ones.

Shoot with at least 4 others and all share the same gun.

By the time that you have finished your scorecard will have more Zero's than the Japanese Air Force.

Add all of these together and little brown envelopes with last years winnings in pale into insignificance.

Latest posts

Back