CPSA Registration What next ? What to Expect ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So… made the jump to go with CPSA mainly for insurance purposes and cover regarding potential help with any licensing issues that hopefully won’t happen.

But… as I am now in the club so to speak I might as well shoot some competitions. I have a friend who is basically in the same boat my main question is if we go to a shoot together do we get out into a squad or can we shoot together ?

Also just wondering what to expect when shooting ? Am I right in thinking videoing is not allowed as it would be good to be able to put some YouTube shorts on of the various competitions ?

Cheers

If you want to shoot with a mate when attending registered shoots/ competitions then just state as such when you contact the ground to book yourself a place. I often shoot with a mate and always ensure that whoever makes the booking does so for both persons at the same time. That way you ensure that you are both placed onto the same squad.

Some competitions are just turn up and shoot so you can just check in at the clubhouse, take your score cards and do what you like in whatever order and speed that you want.

I've no idea on the rules surrounding recording but I would ask the ground first or at the very least the ref on the stand you wish to record on. I can't see an issue in doing so providing you don't have an effect on those in the stand and other shooters within your squad. A cheeky video over your mates shoulder with permission from the ground and ref on the stand should be ok but if you're going to carrying out a full scale production with stands, pod lights etc a la TGS Outdoors then no chance.

If you want to shoot with a mate when attending registered shoots/ competitions then just state as such when you contact the ground to book yourself a place. I often shoot with a mate and always ensure that whoever makes the booking does so for both persons at the same time. That way you ensure that you are both placed onto the same squad.

Some competitions are just turn up and shoot so you can just check in at the clubhouse, take your score cards and do what you like in whatever order and speed that you want.

I've no idea on the rules surrounding recording but I would ask the ground first or at the very least the ref on the stand you wish to record on. I can't see an issue in doing so providing you don't have an effect on those in the stand and other shooters within your squad. A cheeky video over your mates shoulder with permission from the ground and ref on the stand should be ok but if you're going to carrying out a full scale production with stands, pod lights etc a la TGS Outdoors then no chance.
The shooting with a friend information is good to know many thanks. And there is certainly no TGS production value to any of my videos I can assure you of that 😛

Thank you 🙏🏻

You can have a mate video you at a CPSA registered shoot. Barrel mounted cams are not permitted. If they were, you could be live streaming to a mate, who could be giving you coaching through Bluetooth enabled hearing protection. Unlikely, but as it's in the rules, it probably happened at some point.
All the rules are available to download from the CPSA website.

Some competitions are just turn up and shoot so you and your friend can just go around together and normally can start at whatever stand you want.

Others you have to book in, again when booking just book the two (or however) in together. I normally book for 4 of us at once so not a problem.

It’s really only the “bigger” comps abroad that you book in and then get allocated your squad times and shooting partners etc.

Some competitions are just turn up and shoot so you and your friend can just go around together and normally can start at whatever stand you want.

Others you have to book in, again when booking just book the two (or however) in together. I normally book for 4 of us at once so not a problem.

It’s really only the “bigger” comps abroad that you book in and then get allocated your squad times and shooting partners etc.
That’s good to know. Actually looking forward to booking something now 😂 . Is there any difference in booking at what you picked as “your club” or not ?

Depends where you want to shoot, if you go onto the CPSA website and look at the fixtures and find a shoot you want to do it will tell you whether it’s a registered or open shoot. Registered means your scores get sent to CPSA for your averages and classification. It should tell you whether it’s squadded and whether you need to ring and book or book online or whether it’s just a turn up and shoot but will give you opening and last card times normally.

Some online bookings you can see who is already booked in and can join squads of people you may already know ( ie Ian Coleys) but some just tell you how many slots are available at certain times and you don’t know who you’re shooting with until you get there 🫣

Good luck with it all.

Depends where you want to shoot, if you go onto the CPSA website and look at the fixtures and find a shoot you want to do it will tell you whether it’s a registered or open shoot. Registered means your scores get sent to CPSA for your averages and classification. It should tell you whether it’s squadded and whether you need to ring and book or book online or whether it’s just a turn up and shoot but will give you opening and last card times normally.

Some online bookings you can see who is already booked in and can join squads of people you may already know ( ie Ian Coleys) but some just tell you how many slots are available at certain times and you don’t know who you’re shooting with until you get there 🫣

Good luck with it all.
I’m going to need it 😂. Just think I need to get the first one over with and then it’s done.

I’m going to need it 😂. Just think I need to get the first one over with and then it’s done.
Just a word of warning though ! Make sure you don't talk to your shooting pal when on the shooting ground. The last Comp that I shot in, I had a someone like yourself, a 'first timer' with me. We were discussing as to how he should approach to shoot the stand. We were some 20 to 25 yards from the stand at the time. One of the squad came over to us to complain that we were talking whilst his lady friend was shooting, which was putting her off ? I have probably Reffed at more Comps than I care to count, so I am well aware of the rules, and I don't believe we were in any way 'putting her off'. I have not shot at any registered shoots or Competitions since.

Just a word of warning though ! Make sure you don't talk to your shooting pal when on the shooting ground. The last Comp that I shot in, I had a someone like yourself, a 'first timer' with me. We were discussing as to how he should approach to shoot the stand. We were some 20 to 25 yards from the stand at the time. One of the squad came over to us to complain that we were talking whilst his lady friend was shooting, which was putting her off ? I have probably Reffed at more Comps than I care to count, so I am well aware of the rules, and I don't believe we were in any way 'putting her off'. I have not shot at any registered shoots or Competitions since.
Oh right that sounds fun 😞 I will have to try and stay a little more reserved than usual then 😂

That’s good to know. Actually looking forward to booking something now 😂 . Is there any difference in booking at what you picked as “your club” or not ?
Sounds like you've gone for Clubman membership if you've designated a ground. Officially you can only shoot that ground targets only and your score will not be registered. In reality, all grounds allow targets only shooters that aren't CPSA members at all, so you should be OK.

1719918788765.png

Sounds like you've gone for Clubman membership if you've designated a ground. Officially you can only shoot that ground targets only and your score will not be registered. In reality, all grounds allow targets only shooters that aren't CPSA members at all, so you should be OK.

View attachment 10840
iv gone for full membership ? But it did still ask for a preferred ground ? Not sure why ?

Pretty sure you can't enter the comps until you've 2-3 registered shoots and get your official classification. You have to specify targets only

once you have shot and submitted three cards you will be put in a "Class" and from then on you will be shooting against others in that class in CPSA events, you can view the scores in every CPSA shoot you attend (and others) and see how you compare against all other attendees, you can use filters to check class results. If your scores improve you will go up a class, if they decline you will go down, they are assessed every three months I believe.
The information available on the CPSA website is quite comprehensive - to be fair it's probably available to non-members too although their scores won't be logged.
There's also a "what's on" tab for finding CPSA events that I find very useful:

1719926825728.png

Last edited:
iv gone for full membership ? But it did still ask for a preferred ground ? Not sure why ?

Same here when I first applied two years ago. It will just show up as an associated club on your CPSA website home screen and show weather and conditions for the ground at that time.
Pretty sure you can't enter the comps until you've 2-3 registered shoots and get your official classification. You have to specify targets only

You can enter on a comp basis from the get go but as you won't have a classification until after your 3rd shoot you'll be assigned a class on the day based on your average score over a random selection of stands compared with other classified shooters. Normally lands you right in the middle of the score table for the class assigned which is a bit pointless. Though you can still win overall high gun you're better off saving the £5 comp entry until you get a class.

Back