Difference between Trap gun and sporting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Andy

The Miroku website is where I have been coming from in the hope that a trap stock will fit him better than a sporter stock as they are obviously higher than a sporter stock.

However I am still concerned about cast and where his head is in relation to his right hand which I have not yet noticed.  We shoot together infrequently so things come to mind after I have seen him with my gun in his hands.

He tried a Browning 525 lightweight game gun from a fellow member at the club and hated it as it was far to light with great recoil.
I will second what has been said previously Robert, get him to a good gun fitter/coach. In general trap stocks tend to have very little by way of cast, but it could be that he is not mounting the gun correctly in the first place and this needs to be sorted before he decides on any gun at all. I have just got an MK38 trap gun with an adjustable comb, but unless you actually know what you need, they can a little more than a curse! As you are in the West Country I would suggest a word with Dennis Stepney, he will soon put your lad on the right path! I have his contact details if you need them Robert.

Thanks for the thought but he's been a county standard pistol shooter for some years but wants to give it up so that he can come clay shooting with his Dad!  Eye dominance has therefore already been established but it serves as a useful reminder to get it checked in case it has changed but he should be well aware of eye dominance issues.

I should have said above but there have been many comments about GMK importing Beretta's with low stock versions only and not any high stock versions other than adjustables.  

When are they or Beretta going to realise that they are losing sales because of this?
Well I can only comment on the Berettas that I've had, they all had to have the combs lowered as I needed a ladder to get on top of the things. Maybe they no longer import those very high stocks, it's probably a good ten or twelve years since I bought a Beretta!

And at Ian Coley`s we are one of the only gunshops/shooting schools to have a Trap Tri-Gun, along with our other 4 tri-guns, both SxS and OxU, covering game & sporting.

And at Ian Coley`s we are one of the only gunshops/shooting schools to have a Trap Tri-Gun, along with our other 4 tri-guns, both SxS and OxU, covering game & sporting.
  Yes Phil, a Trap Try Gun is pretty unusual indeed!

And dont forget trap guns have a thick soft rubber recoil pad on the stock.which makes it much more comfy if you fall asleep leaning on it in the middle of a competition :girlcrazy:

I would like to apologize to all trap shooters I,am being unfair about their sport.I should have said " more comfy when you fall asleep leaning on it in the middle of a competition"

I would like to apologize to all trap shooters I,am being unfair about their sport.I should have said " more comfy when you fall asleep leaning on it in the middle of a competition"
Chippy,

I shot behind some sporting shooters, that definately would make you fall asleep in the que behind them. :pilot:

Most MK38 Trap are fixed choke so the barrel is lighter. anyway what's up with3/4 and Full?

Probably best described as a try gun.

Its not a real gun but one where everything is adjustable to to try to achieve a perfect fit in terms of ascertaining all your dimensions and the dimensions required of a suitable real gun

e.g. Length of pull,

amount of cast

height and drop of comb etc

Probably best described as a try gun.

Its not a real gun but one where everything is adjustable to to try to achieve a perfect fit in terms of ascertaining all your dimensions and the dimensions required of a suitable real gun

e.g. Length of pull,

amount of cast

height and drop of comb etc
Thanks Robert...that sounds really useful, will have to check dealers in my area and see if they have the same.

Great thread gents, :)  

As a raw newbie, im in a similar situation. What gun?, positioning etc. 

2 weeks ago i had a lesson with my eldest son,  - absoloutley no knowledge of  a shotgun's finer points  whatsoever.

He was fitted for the gun, and found to be Left eye dominant  - but right handed  and he needed a riser on the comb to align rib and bead.

As i was using the same gun (R eye dominant & right handed) the only thing i was advised was i may need to allow a small gap between bead and clay, as i was slightly over when she checked alignment..

Eldest son did very well,   and i had a great day, i was hitting just about everything say 8/10 on LR & RL moving  targets

The gun 28" barrels (didnt get the make)  felt well balanced and virtually no recoil

2 weeks later i went with my youngest son for another lesson, and i dont know what gun i had, but it didnt feel right. there was a great deal of recoil, and it didnt feel good  positioned to my shoulder / cheek

The short LR trap i used 2 weeks before, (8/10) i was effectivly shgooting barn door's and missing .  with the comment that i wasnt following the shot through...  which was strange, because i felt that i was ...

After about the 6th straight miss, the instructor, just commented, make sure you  get the comb under your cheek, look down the rib, align the bead, etc...

Penny dropped!!!  i couldnt see the bead and i was moving the gun to see the bead as i shot!!!!!

once i told my instructor this, he appologised and got me a small pad to raise the comb... ( It was just as much my fault as his,  we were more concered about making sure youngest son was set up and safe to shoot :) )

next two shots were aced ..  and the gun then felt comfortable  as i'm guessing located naturally into my shoulder etc 

So im pretty sure i need a high comb to suit my physique, which make looking for SH guns interesting.

Baretta do adjustable combs, and so do Browning, which is good, 

Narrows the field to start somewhat, but gives me a couple of intersting options to try first  --  (i have a soft spot for the cynergy range :) )

Mirouko or beretta all day long for me but pay your money take your chance, don't get stuck on the high rib 25 different chokes fancy engraving thing. Buy one that fits go learn to shoot and then start the tricky road of swapping about....... I would say tho' 30" barrels a must then you could feel comfy trying different disciplines out trap sporting fitasc compak skeet etc

As in.....?  

The more i know the better informed i can be

Mart
cynergys are a weird design.  granted they look quite funky but i'm yet to see anyone that i regard as a good shot using one.  they suffer from recoil by all accounts, and i have no idea how you'd go about changing the length of pull on the stock etc.etc.  i'm sure a dealer would happily sell you one, i doubt he'd use it himself.

you cant go far wrong with a miroku or a beretta as a first gun.  i've had lots of guns and have gone back to a mk38 trap that's been teagued.  superbly balanced gun and bullet proof relaibility.  loads of top shooters used mirokus before they got sponsored with p guns or k guns.....  i bet a lot of them still have one in the cabinet.

i like the look of berettas, they just don't seem to suit me when i shoot them. 

buy what you like and what fits, just don't buy a cynergy imho.

Latest posts

Back