Difference in different disciplines.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeJay

I wondered if there is a one stop place that explains the basic rules and set up for the different sports. Where we go there are the usual ndivisual traps, but also plenty of stands. I think these are Skeet, which also has DTL. There is Compak, which also covers sporting.

I’ve looked online but it sometimes gets a little complicated. Is there anywhere that describes them all in basic detail, something along the lines of:

Skeet: in Skeet you move and stand on different pegs and shoot from a high tower and a low tower. The order of the shots is this first, then this, then this.

Etc. The idea is we could at least know exactly what we are supposed to be doing, in what order.

Thanks in advance. If there isn’t a one stop solution I’ll just carry on googling obviously.

How basic do you want to go, many years ago i got a copy of The CPSA Clay Target Shooter’s Handbook (2005 i think) which goes into very basic details, stuff about the CPSA (obviously), gun descriptions ,gun handling, and then comprehensive details on the disciplines. I dont know if its still available frorm the CPSA but it could be online somewhere

How basic do you want to go, many years ago i got a copy of The CPSA Clay Target Shooter’s Handbook (2005 i think) which goes into very basic details, stuff about the CPSA (obviously), gun descriptions ,gun handling, and then comprehensive details on the disciplines. I dont know if its still available frorm the CPSA but it could be online somewhere
Let’s put it this way, the stands for Skeet also have DTL (I think). But I don’t know where you stand for what, where/when you move, what shots are fired and when (single, doubles etc). The shot order on the compak and sporting are easy enough as there is a printout. So each cage might say A, then B O/R C, then SIM DE. So we worked that out for ourselves. 5 shots in each, single, on report pair, simultaneous pair. But we don’t know if you can have 2 shots on the single. Or any special rules while in the cage.

On the Skeet/DTL there’s nothing. Just a lot of standpoints, a high tower, a low tower and something in the middle. There seems to be about 6 standpoints in a semicircle, but another 8 standpoints in a semi circle a bit further away. Those have a voice activated system, but the nearer ones don’t.

So it needs to be basic enough to explain what you do and when, to someone who’s never done it before.

Last edited:
Back