Ear defenders

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave01

So my question to the collective, what best
fitted in-ear
electronic muffs
normal muffs
throw away sponge type?

It depends what you want besides hearing protection . If you prefer total isolation from start to finish , that will take you one way , if you want to have the ability to have normal hearing , then cut off the bang , that’s another choice . Next is do you want to be able to amplify ambient noise ? , perhaps hear a distant trap spring or the wing beats of a pheasant breaking cover ? . Then let’s look at your eyewear , are you comfy with ear defenders over your spec frames ? Are you shooting just clays , where you may prefer to easily switch off electronics on the stand , or game as well where you might want 360 awareness .

Me , 95% of the time MSA Sordin Pro X ear defenders ( Sordin make Swatcom ) gel ear seals , on the odd scorching day , custom moulded passive plugs .

Ps with electronic over ear muffs , you get what you pay for .

Just upgraded from passive CFG to Swatcom, night and day better . Can chat normally and fun shot is really well muted .

You do get a slightly sweaty ear, but I don’t notice that until I remove them.

Also, battery life is significantly better than active in ear….

If you are looking for the most in ear protection with great hearing at the bench, look at the MSA muffs on Amazon...not inexpensive, they also have the cutaway.

For anyone wanting to go down the path of in ear electronics, I 100% would not reccomend Custom Fit Guards. They are an unreliable product and CFG will not support you. All repairs after the first year are chargeable regardless if you've had a replacement or repair that is less than a year old.

I can't speak for CENS but I will be going with CENS next time round.

For anyone wanting to go down the path of in ear electronics, I 100% would not reccomend Custom Fit Guards. They are an unreliable product and CFG will not support you. All repairs after the first year are chargeable regardless if you've had a replacement or repair that is less than a year old.

I can't speak for CENS but I will be going with CENS next time round.
This was one of the reasons I went with Mercury as you can buy their filter ones but then upgrade them by using peltor electronic modules if they go wrong/lost its simple to replace. Had mine a couple of years ago and been fine and just charge them via usb on way to shooting grounds.

First negative feedback I have heard for CFG but I would say passives for me from them so not a lot to go wrong.

I went there from CENS whose customer care, from my own experience, is no better. The CENS experience was the main reason I was put off the electronic ones and overall I now have real reservations about the longevity of the electronics in the modules and the cost of them initially - whatever the brand.

When Swatcoms are so robust and reliable there has to be a good reason to not us them and the knocking on the stock is the only that comes to mind.

First negative feedback I have heard for CFG but I would say passives for me from them so not a lot to go wrong.

I went there from CENS whose customer care, from my own experience, is no better. The CENS experience was the main reason I was put off the electronic ones and overall I now have real reservations about the longevity of the electronics in the modules and the cost of them initially - whatever the brand.

When Swatcoms are so robust and reliable there has to be a good reason to not us them and the knocking on the stock is the only that comes to mind.

That's a shame to hear about CENS.

I'm put off by using the cheaper, home assembled options for the likes of Mercury and Decibulls as once modified there are no guarantees of any protection rating. At least with a manufacturered device there is some recourse should they not perform as expected.

You only have one set of ears after all and having met a lot of people through shooting that are hearing Impaired either as a result of shooting without adequate protection or working in industry without protection I will always wear ear protection. Even if it's just a walk about with the dog with a scant chance of a bird even getting up I'll wear ear protection. I can count on one hand and have a few fingers spare (I'm not from Norfolk) the amount of times I've fired a gun without protection with both instances being cheap non custom moulded plugs falling out as I was mounting the gun. They are the first thing I get out of the bag as I'm leaving the car when I get to a ground.

Over ears don't work for me as they contact the stock as I'm mounting. I do keep a set in my bag for instances where I ref a squad or are spectating as they have a higher overall protection rating.

I use Sportac for clays, but do buy the gel upgrade.

I use the Peltor active plugs for game shooting and stalking

Back