forgive my ignorance chokes extended / ported / flush

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainzzz

i sort of know the differences but dont know how the differences affect the shot..i have read that extended chokes may improve patten but does porting do any thing apart from making the chokes look different..i shoot a beretta silver pigeon with a 28" barrel with flush choke would extended chokes improve my shooting .would ported chokes improve any thing or is it just personal choice ...

Andy

In my 'umble opinion the simple act of using extended chokes rather than flush chokes will not improve your shooting.

Extended chokes have three advantages over flush chokes.You can easily see what is in the gun; they are easy to change if only fitted finger tight; they protect the end of your barrel from damage.I doubt any of these will improve your shooting.

I have never used ported chokes but cannot see any advantage to be gained by using them.

I have recently proved to myself that using after market chokes did nothing to improve my shooting but that may not apply to all brands of gun. The original equipment chokes used in some cheaper brands of gun may not be made to as tight tolerances as better quality brands.

Probably the best thing to do with your money is to have a few lessons with a recommended coach.

Vic.

You need to pattern your choke /ammo preferences to see what your shotgun does. I have foind that high quality SLOW ammuntion did not make any difference with Beretta versus aftermarket chokes! Some other gunmakers chokes do not pattern as described! Most of the cheaper high speed stuff will pattern better with some aftermarket chokes. But you must pattern them to make sure! Ported chokes will basicaly make more noise and prevent muzzle lift on ilfitting shotguns! They are also heavier and induce a dumbell efect on gunhandling! Not good!

regards,

Henry

Ported chokes will basicaly make more noise and prevent muzzle lift on ilfitting shotguns! They are also heavier and induce a dumbell efect on gunhandling! Not good!

regards,

Henry
surely they would only reduce muzzle flip if all the ports were out the top of the choke.

as for the dumbell effect, all depends on how you like your gun to handle and wether you want more weight up front or not

surely they would only reduce muzzle flip if all the ports were out the top of the choke.
No, same as a muzzle brake on a rifle, the ports are angled backward so as the vented gasses draw the whole gun away from the recoil, thus reducing recoil/kick/muzzle flip.........works well on rifles, negligible difference in recoil with ported shotgun chokes.

Ports are known to work extremely well on rifles with very high velocity rounds, they also DO work when applied to gun barrels though not necessarily worth the effort. They are next to impossible to detect when on choke ends.

No, same as a muzzle brake on a rifle, the ports are angled backward so as the vented gasses draw the whole gun away from the recoil, thus reducing recoil/kick/muzzle flip.........works well on rifles, negligible difference in recoil with ported shotgun chokes.
ports are angles forwards on all the ported chokes ive ever seen, hence imo a waste of time unless you like cleaning soot that is

invextblackport.jpg

Is this what you mean by pointing forwards? The gas would be ejected backwards hence pulling the gun forwards. Where or not you can feel this or very debatable.

Andy

Anybody know if the removal of the top 50% of an extended choke kicks down? Has to be done aftermarket when you've found the seating point in your gun. Used by some skeet shooters now. :huh:

I don't think there's much evidence that extended chokes improve patterns or that ported chokes reduce flip, so I'd say it is a matter of personal choice.

I reckon Vic has it about right because (within reason) shotgun shooting is much more about the abilities of the person holding the gun than anything else.

Latest posts

Back