Ground restrictions on shooting black powder guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmillie

Anyone know why I may have been told to stop shooting black powder(cartridges) in my old hammer gun at a local shooting ground yesterday apparently "it's not allowed". Are there additional legal/licence or insurance issues involved?.?

MM

I shot a practice round at Cambridge gun club yesterday and they had a whole herd of barrel stuffers and black powder hammer enthusiasts shooting, the blanket fog produced after every shot was amusing and rather quaint, as a fellow clay shot I didn't have a problem and I guess neither did the shoot owners for them to be there.

You can shoot black powder guns at Rugby on their special black powder days. They even have a black powder helice competition now.

I don't think you can use black powder in any competition as it will probably be a re-load...which in itself is not allowed. 

There is a whole GB squad for muzzel loaders and they bring back quite a lot of international medals each year.

However you have to remember that any ground can stop anyone shooting for any reason because they are all individual business entities. They could stop you for wearing red trousers if they wanted to :wink:

No legal restrictions apart from home loads not allowed in registered shoots.

Possibly the ground objected to the noise which is becoming an increasingly insidious cancer to shooting grounds.

I shot a practice round at Cambridge gun club yesterday and they had a whole herd of barrel stuffers and black powder hammer enthusiasts shooting, the blanket fog produced after every shot was amusing and rather quaint, as a fellow clay shot I didn't have a problem and I guess neither did the shoot owners for them to be there.
Cambridge is popular with black powder gun aficionados. Here's me at Cambridge with a recent black powder gun. 
blackpowergun.jpg

Oh, all right, it isn't my gun. But it broke clays awfully well. One clay at least.  

Thanks for the responses guys. The ground in question was empty all bar myself and one other and the "trapper" that told me to stop after the firing of just one cartridge is someone who clearly likes to display jobs worth tendencies. When asked why BP wasn't allowed the reason given was "Insurance". I will simply go to another ground in future that doesn't demonstrate such open hostility to what is just another form of shooting.

MM

AGL at Broomhills probably will cater for your fetish, if stopped by anyone just say " Francis shoots one also".

I like ips's response,

and yes,,i love bp!,  not for every-one but then , what is?  cartridge black powder is not a problem, surely? I know that 'barrel stuffing' is a bit tedious,,,specially at double trap  :biggrin: , but in your own time,, fun-fun! anyway,, it's more of an 'boom'  than a 'bang', less intrusive than a modern cartridge,, much kinder on the shoulder, too.   I did black powder for years,,,,i'd love a 'Gibbs' 34inch bisley Rifle,  peep sights, et al!.

I bet it was noise. Are there any houses nearby?
Ground is approximately half a mile from the nearest houses. I'm relatively new to this type of shooting but are BP guns that much louder than Nitro powered ones? I just can't get enough of the smoke that they generate.....
MM

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back