Ground restrictions on shooting black powder guns

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends on the load. BP is quite capable of exceeding 1125 fps,  esp rifles , and shotguns. handguns become a handful (!) above about 750fps.

gibbs rifle I mentioned in .45, will load up to 1350 fps. popular at Bisley !

yep, BP in a shotgun also about1250fps,, use about a 100 grains of ffg.  1oz  of shot.

you can read articles if you bingle  black powder shotguns,,etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Wylye was on the go I used to discourage black powder and home loaders in general because of the safety aspect. We restricted cartridges to 28gms max with 61/2 as a max shot size. The bp and home loaders would use all sorts of loads and shot sizes and it was scary enough for me to ask them not to continue. Theres a time and place for this sort of thing, game fairs etc. It was bad enough finding Special SG and 42gms No.3 cases in the bins!

:fie:  And I hear that they still use BP muzzle loaders in Yarkshire, thats what they use toilet rolls for wads but tin tacks are at a premium :crazy:  

bloody auto-correct!,,, INTERNET,, then,,,,,, (grin!)

safety is the most important part of shooting,,alas, some are not too worried,,,i have seen irresponsible behaviour with BP, and again, with any firearm. the worst is to explain the dangers of blanks,,,

If they were reloaded they could well have been 21g of 9 in the load......... Why not just ban all reloads and sell BP carts......
They do m8 and that was what I was shooting. 28g 7's paper sleeves. £20 a box........
MM

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back