Gun case or gun slip for storage

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeJay

Bit of background first…

For a number of reasons, I don’t want to store the gun at home. So it is stored at the gun club where I’m a member. I shoot about every 3-4 weeks. The club is too far away to take the gun home, clean it and bring it back. So I clean it after every visit and leave it. Sadly, the club insists that guns are cleaned in the car, not anywhere near the clubhouse, so when it’s wet there is a chance there will be some moisture, however little (try breaking and cleaning a gun, with the case and cleaning materials, in a small 5 door hatchback). I currently store it in the hard plastic case that the gun came in ( Baretta 686 SP 1), broken into barrel and stock etc.

So based on the above (and accepting it can’t change in the foreseeable future), I have three questions please:

1) after cleaning/drying, would it be better to store it in the hard plastic case, or in a lined gun slip. The gun slip would only be used for storage, not carrying around the ground.
2) if a gun slip would be best, are there any recommended (leather, canvas, lined, unlined etc.). Money isn’t a problem for the right product.
3) are there products I can use (moisture spray, packs, crystals etc) in the case/slip, or would that just trap moisture in.

I’m just a beginner trying to do the right thing so any help would be most appreciated.

Clean the gun with Pro Ferrum oil . Especially if it’s got wet . Make sure it gets into vented mid ribs etc . Make sure everything is wiped dry and then wipe over again with a lightly oiled rag . Keep it in its hard case with a VP90 sachet . Sleeves can ruin a gun if they are not dry themselves and you use them for long term storage.

Just my personal view but if you ever buy a gunslip , the absolute best is a fleece backed canvas , leather fittings , full length zip , flap and buckles , with both a shoulder strap and handles . Over the long term leather takes more maintenance and is heavier .

I’m basing this on the Croots slips I own , and I’ve got both canvas and leather . Don’t waste money on Chinese look a likes .

Last edited:
You can get vp90 spray and sachets. This is a moisture inhibitor. Also browning have some gun socks which is impregnated with it. I use these on my dt11. I would not store it in a fleece lined slip as this is a moisture trap.

You can get vp90 spray and sachets. This is a moisture inhibitor. Also browning have some gun socks which is impregnated with it. I use these on my dt11. I would not store it in a fleece lined slip as this is a moisture trap.
Agree 100% , my comments were just about quality gun slips as there is a lot of rubbish out there . I saw my best mates Belgium made browning go to a rusty red aftet it was kept for a week in a gun sleeve between shoots .

Most of the above really, except, if you can not get your hands on the 2 piece silicone sock set, buy a couple of full length socks off the bay. Just use the 2 socks on the 2 halves of the gun. It may give it the 'Norah Batty' look, but what the heck. Finally, I am sure the fleece lined type of gunslip offers a lot of protection for your gun, but I have got rid of all of mine and replaced them with cotton material lined slips. I no longer need to remove Shaun the Sheep off the front bead of my gun before I shoot ! 😄

Agree 100% , my comments were just about quality gun slips as there is a lot of rubbish out there . I saw my best mates Belgium made browning go to a rusty red aftet it was kept for a week in a gun sleeve between shoots .
I have seen a Browning gun go rusty red, before I got it home from a local shoot !

Most of the above really, except, if you can not get your hands on the 2 piece silicone sock set, buy a couple of full length socks off the bay. Just use the 2 socks on the 2 halves of the gun. It may give it the 'Norah Batty' look, but what the heck. Finally, I am sure the fleece lined type of gunslip offers a lot of protection for your gun, but I have got rid of all of mine and replaced them with cotton material lined slips. I no longer need to remove Shaun the Sheep off the front bead of my gun before I shoot ! 😄
You can see the front bead ! Impressive ! I’d struggle to see a golf ball at 32” !

This is great information, thank you all. Sounds like I’ll not be rushing to buy a slip.

1) I currently use the Legia spray to clean inside the barrels (with the rod etc) and a very light wipe on a rag afterwards. Do I use the pro Ferrum instead of the Legia?
2) when you say wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag at the end, does it have pro Ferrum on?
3) if I store the gun in socks, broken in its case, does the sock cover the wooden stock or just the metal bits?

Thanks again. There’s just so much to learn as a newbie and I don’t want to ask stupid questions.

This is great information, thank you all. Sounds like I’ll not be rushing to buy a slip.

1) I currently use the Legia spray to clean inside the barrels (with the rod etc) and a very light wipe on a rag afterwards. Do I use the pro Ferrum instead of the Legia?
2) when you say wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag at the end, does it have pro Ferrum on?
3) if I store the gun in socks, broken in its case, does the sock cover the wooden stock or just the metal bits?

Thanks again. There’s just so much to learn as a newbie and I don’t want to ask stupid questions.
Legia Spray is fine for everything , all over the gun as is VP 90 gun spray . Pro Ferrum is brilliant for peace of mind in places where you can’t see if water has got in under and behind top and mid ribs is a favourite . If your already doing the cleaning thats fine , as a clay shooter your gun should not be getting the soaking that a game shooters guns do . Don’t over think it . As long as you continue to wipe the metal work over ( and again don’t overdo it ) , it matters little if it’s a high tech modern spray or an oily rag with Castrol GTX .

I’m from the age where we all used to have a bit of old flannelette bed sheet soaked with oil and kept in a tin , guns , fishing reels , wood chisels ,saws , all got a rub after use

Interesting you say you won’t get a slip , consider that oneday maybe your gun will be in the rack or over your shoulder and a big bit of stray clay might come slicing into it ….

Latest posts

Back