Gun for the Mrs ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your part of Yorkshire near enough to nip over to Kelbrook ? They have a good number of rental guns to suit all shapes and sizes , and a decent gunroom refreshingly free from crap . Trying out various brands/ styles is cheaper than making a mistake .
I have been known to drive to Cornwall for a gun 😛 so nipping to Kelbrook is certainly doable. Brilliant idea also 👍🏼

NOW its your turn to "put the kettle on "

IF you are near Harrogate, the Brown Trout fishing tackle and gunshop has a rather nice Classic Doubles Trap gun for sale. It is a bit dear, but you may be able to bargain. I am currently using one of these guns with a Sporter stock fitted and I love it. Its weight is spot on 8lbs. its balance and handling are superb and it is a multi choke, using Browning standard Invector chokes. I used a Winchester back in the 70's and I loved that too, but since then I have done the Beretta SO, Perazzi, just about every make of Browning gun ever made thing. However at nearly 80, I was finding my ProSport too heavy, so I bought my current Classic Doubles, and I am now back to shooting my 75% scores, which I am happy with. Do NOT worry about the "You can't get spares" myth, you CAN. I believe that the CD Trap, fitted with an Isis recoil pad, could be the..............wait for it....."The way forward" in this 'Sustainable world' ! Check out Guntrader, there are some 20 Classic Doubles on there. Dependant on where you are in Yorkshire, I would meet you at a shooting ground where your Wife would be more than welcome to try my gun.

NOW its your turn to "put the kettle on "

IF you are near Harrogate, the Brown Trout fishing tackle and gunshop has a rather nice Classic Doubles Trap gun for sale. It is a bit dear, but you may be able to bargain. I am currently using one of these guns with a Sporter stock fitted and I love it. Its weight is spot on 8lbs. its balance and handling are superb and it is a multi choke, using Browning standard Invector chokes. I used a Winchester back in the 70's and I loved that too, but since then I have done the Beretta SO, Perazzi, just about every make of Browning gun ever made thing. However at nearly 80, I was finding my ProSport too heavy, so I bought my current Classic Doubles, and I am now back to shooting my 75% scores, which I am happy with. Do NOT worry about the "You can't get spares" myth, you CAN. I believe that the CD Trap, fitted with an Isis recoil pad, could be the..............wait for it....."The way forward" in this 'Sustainable world' ! Check out Guntrader, there are some 20 Classic Doubles on there. Dependant on where you are in Yorkshire, I would meet you at a shooting ground where your Wife would be more than welcome to try my gun.
I forgot to add that I tried a Kreighoff K80 thing 3 weeks ago, yes it was nice, for a £16,000 gun, I straighted the stand I was on, BUT, I had just straighted the same stand with my £500 Classic Doubles !

I forgot to add that I tried a Kreighoff K80 thing 3 weeks ago, yes it was nice, for a £16,000 gun, I straighted the stand I was on, BUT, I had just straighted the same stand with my £500 Classic Doubles !
That makes for interesting reading as a Classic Doubles was something that came up a couple of times when searching guntrader in our price bracket. It’s a gun I don’t know a great deal about and to be honest the likelihood of getting spares was something that had crossed my mind. I think for the minute we are looking at getting her some time with a professional who will be able to point us in the direction of dimensions of what would suit her.

That makes for interesting reading as a Classic Doubles was something that came up a couple of times when searching guntrader in our price bracket. It’s a gun I don’t know a great deal about and to be honest the likelihood of getting spares was something that had crossed my mind. I think for the minute we are looking at getting her some time with a professional who will be able to point us in the direction of dimensions of what would suit her.
The CD has a shorter than average stock too. Mine with 3/4" pad fitted is 14 1/2" LOP.

Have a look at dedicated ladies guns they’re made to suits the body shape. Some women shoot standard guns very well but worth trying a proper ladies gun for fit.

Easy first option is to look at an mk38 trap 30". Loads about and have a 14 1/2" stock inc a thick pad so shortening is easy if required. If its had the chokes reduced even better, de-values it and more suitable for sporting. Agree with Westley about the old Classic Doubles/ Winchesters, great guns. You should have a big choice with a 1k budget. The mk38 is one of the best clay guns ever made because they are so user friendly so you've really got to have a look at one of those though.

Easy first option is to look at an mk38 trap 30". Loads about and have a 14 1/2" stock inc a thick pad so shortening is easy if required. If its had the chokes reduced even better, de-values it and more suitable for sporting. Agree with Westley about the old Classic Doubles/ Winchesters, great guns. You should have a big choice with a 1k budget. The mk38 is one of the best clay guns ever made because they are so user friendly so you've really got to have a look at one of those though.
We are going to look at a b25 this weekend. 27” barrels 14 1/4 inch stock and opened up chokes. Hopefully as long as the action is tight we can spend the “change” on getting it to fit 🤞🏻

We are going to look at a b25 this weekend. 27” barrels 14 1/4 inch stock and opened up chokes. Hopefully as long as the action is tight we can spend the “change” on getting it to fit 🤞🏻
Great guns if you can find on in good condition.
I picked up a 28" Browning B125 which has invector chokes, opposed to the B25 which until very recently (and will be way out of your budget) are fixed choke. The stock on these seem to be reasonably high and it was next to no money considering how much they were new, they can be picked sub £1000 making them incredible value.

Great guns if you can find on in good condition.
I picked up a 28" Browning B125 which has invector chokes, opposed to the B25 which until very recently (and will be way out of your budget) are fixed choke. The stock on these seem to be reasonably high and it was next to no money considering how much they were new, they can be picked sub £1000 making them incredible value.
Those B125's are stunning guns. Mate of my dads have a decent grade one years ago, good value way of owning the original B25 action.

Back