Gun?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deneil

Hi,

I currently shoot a browning gp sporter which I shoot well with and like but it's getting abit old now, and was thinking about chopping it in an getting a brand new miroku mk38!!

Does anyone think I would be gaining anything or not?

Cheers luke

If you shoot it well why change? It really doesn't matter how old it is at the end of the day

Also don't forget that it is made by Miroku anyway,so it should last a lifetime! My old Miroku 3800 is now about 23 years old and still shoots as well as it did back in 1991!! Its a shame that I don't!!!!

I use a Browning GP sporter 32" left hand and i like it. It's a fair bit lighter than a Ultra XS and so is good for rough shooting and game shooting for me. Why do you think changing the gun will make any difference, it's not the gun but where you point it that hits targets.

Cheers mike, one more question then, I belong to a local club and shoot well normally in the top ten and I shoot half and three quarter chokes but alit of people including a cpsa coach thinks this is to tight for a sporting set up! Does it really matter if I'm shooting well?

Cheers mike, one more question then, I belong to a local club and shoot well normally in the top ten and I shoot half and three quarter chokes but alit of people including a cpsa coach thinks this is to tight for a sporting set up! Does it really matter if I'm shooting well?
Depends how far the targets are away. I've not found anything on a sporting layout that I can't break with skeet + 1/4 as long as i point the gun in the right direction.

If it is a local ground then it probably hasn't got many target out past 40-45 yards? If this is the case then you could get away with 1/4 1/4 and may gain one or two more per round but you may not. The other line of thought is that tighter chokes give more positive breaks at any distance and this gives you confidence and this can also result in one or two more clays. 

If your happy shooting tighter chokes then stick with them as it will prepare you better for the longer stuff at registered shoots if you ever do any. 

My recommendation is to find a gun that you like the feel of, that swings nice and is well balanced and comes up well. Then get it fitted and setup to suit you and you'll find that will make the most difference of all.

Keep what you are happy with until you really need a change (but don't sell it).

As for what people on the shoot tell you (when you are already shooting well) can be for many 'reasons'.

Listen to what 'your' head tells you and what you know works for 'you'.

My local club is easthill shooting club just outside ottery at Mary in Devon! I also shoot at ashcombe shooting ground near Exeter!

What's your local area?

Luke 

If you can keep the GP then you should. But if you can't, perhaps a used MK38 unless you think the new version (with the longer forcing cones and improved chokes) would be better? 

But most of all, as Tinker Bell says, do what you feel is right. I know a bloke who shoots hi 80's with a Browning Medalist. He would not swap it for anything. 

The choke (constriction at the muzzle) is only half of the equation, what shells are you shooting? What wad and shot size? These all effect the "pattern" the gun is throwing just because you have a barrel or choke marked as 1/2 does not mean the pattern it is throwing is "Half" unless you pattern the gun with those carts you'll never know....
502%7C0000009d1%7C7a8e_Verney-Carron-Sagittaire-shotgun-patterns.jpg

Chokes will mess with your head more than anything else, try and ignore them especially if you are shooting well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back