Gundog food

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, it is true about varying food gives them an upset stomach. If a dog is always fed on kitchen scraps then that is what it is used to. If you feed it dried food (we do, but have to use a low protein one) then the variety comes from veg on it, or scraps, or different flavour gravy.Phil

So On that basis if ours is used to change between dry wet and or mix of both then it too won't know any difference.
Cheers ian
We used to add bakers wet to their dry every other day and they suffered with "upset tums" until we realised and stopped the wet food. Different class now.

How can I put this...... The best way to tell how healthy their stomachs are is the solidity at walk times!

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. We're solid in the morning not so in the afternoon. Not sure at night to dark to see :)

I think any responsible dog owner wood sell their Berettas and feed their dog on Eukanuba or Hills Science Diet.

I feed my dogs on Tory dog food, if they don't work they get nothing, no benefits at all.

I did try Millaband but the dogs went barking mad.

We feed ours dried food, it's CSJ it's very good quality but much cheaper than some of the "known" brands. My Sister in Law recommended it, she trains Guide dogs and has trained Crufts Champion Agility dogs (she knows her stuff believe me) 

As for the boredom, just add a few bits into the food from time to time. For example, if I do a fry up I put a little water into the used pan and make a "gravy" for them, they love it. Sometimes I'll cook an extra bit of chicken or a sausage etc and mix that in.

Just remember to adjust the dried food measure to account for the extra bits.  

Check it out here: http://www.csjk9.com/ 

Just a little insight into the pet food industry.

It is a multi-million pound industry thankfully because of our love for our companions.Pedigree Pet Foods is a very good example. With this in mind, do your research into your dogs favourite food, is it really good enough? Does it contain unnecessary ingredients for your dogs use? Is it convenient for your use.

Many many dog foods are produced by local Corn millers so it may be beneficial to check out your local Millers.Many dogs can suffer from gluton issues resulting in skin irritation and allergic problems.

It has been mentioned earlier , would you really be happy on a fish & chip total diet ???

Do your research, find out what suits your dog and look after your dog, a good dog will be with you through many house moves , gun changes and divorces . ( Apparently???).

So treat it well and love and look after it.

a good dog will be with you through many house moves , gun changes and DIVORCES . ( Apparently???).
Glad I didn't have my one 20yrs ago or the first mrs nutcase would have got her as well, she got just about everything else :(

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

This website is an interesting read and shows a huge variety of dog foods and their content plus a breakdown of protein, fat and carbs etc.

Chudleys doesn't compare as well as others and I've been thinking of changing, but Milo seems content on it, he doesn't have tummy upsets and his bowel movements are regular and consistent.

So I don't know whether the change would be more satisfaction for me by buying a more expensive food than enjoyment for him.

The only reason he's on Chudleys is that a friend's two working Labs are on it and do well.

There's as many arguments on gundog forums about dog food be it dry, wet or raw let alone the brands, as there are on shooting websites for make of guns or cartridges.

Ours was on that chudley stuff, breeder gave us a big bag of it but she quickly got bored with it after having tasted things like cheese and other stuff.

Not a lot wrong with Chudley's at all. As I said earlier, Pet food is big business and Chudley's and Skinners do put some money back into the sport in sponsorship , so deserve to be patronised. The website mentioned along with others is a very good and worthwhile read. Don't pamper your dog but please do heed it's behaviour over it's needs. if it is hungry it will eat almost anything, but so would we and that is no indication it is tasty enjoyable or nourishing.

I feed my lab  as donna dose (earlier post)  my vet recommended  james wellbeloved    the beast looks a picture  handsome   and fit as a flea   ah on the subject of fleas   one garlic capsule  a day  sorted , don't forget big bowl of fresh water always available .    :hunter:

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

This website is an interesting read and shows a huge variety of dog foods and their content plus a breakdown of protein, fat and carbs etc.
Good website. Fraid to say my dog has been on bakers Puppy food (poor thing) as it was recommended as high protein and easy to get hold of.

He's now due a change from puppy food so will def be looking into this sites top recommend foods.

Yes I am aware Paul. Discount perhaps ?

Prob not; )

Latest posts

Back