Hello from South Oxon.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trialuser

Hi, everyone.

Martyn, 54 yrs, absolute novice. I've had a try a shoot at the Oxford gun company and a lesson at the Oxfordshire shooting school (thanks Billy).

Just bought a new (secondhand) shotgun and feeling really keen and excited at the prospect of participating in the sport.

Also slightly aprehensive about getting involved in new clubs as a novice and about the effect shooting will have on my wallet!

Still, hopefully a bit cheaper than a fast motorbike or a mistress - haven't got the money or the b@lls for either of them :)

Anyone able to suggest where would be a friendly place to shoot, and also any coaching recommendations.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome along, enjoy the site!

Just about any ground is a friendly place, in my opinion.  I'm sure there are plenty of shooters in your area to give you specific advice.  There's Owl's Lodge Shooting School, can't be too far from you, Barton Stacey off the A303, probably within an hour's drive?  Great place, relaxed and friendly.  Give Fauldsy a call, he'll put you right.  They do coaching there too.  I'll be there tomorrow if you fancy it?  Open Tuesdays and Thursdays and the second Saturday of each month.

Rest assured, your wallet will take a beating once you catch the bug!  Enjoy!

And you have to try EJ Churchill, near J5 M40. Not the cheapest but a great experience and good value. All the staff on hand for practice rounds or tuition. See their website or call 01494 883227

Thanksfor the welcome.

Will - had a look at EJC, I don't think I'm their target client if I'm honest, perhaps if I win the lottery, seems a tad 'posh' for me, I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong though.

Tony - I hadn't thought of heading south for some reason, it's only 40 mins from here so I will definately visit, thanks for the tip.

How does one learn about the setup and procedures (etiquette even!) at shooting grounds. If I turn up keen as mustard and say I'm a novice with about an hour and a half worth of gun handling experience and no knowledge of target types I can't see them being too impressed. In fact I wouldn't have a clue where to start and what to shoot. I'm not particularly talking from a safety aspect or even technique, although they are obviously important. More just the practicalities of knowing the stands and equipment. Would it be frowned upon to turn up and sort of 'lurk' around the stands to watch and learn from others.

The thing with EJ Churchill is that they have worked hard in recent years to cater for everybody. They even have £6 for 25 targets on Wednesday and Thursday evenings!!! I think that is just ending now as the clocks will change.

At your stage, it's worth having lessons to get the basics right. Then you can do practice rounds at EJC for a lot less money but you will still learn a lot from your caddy.

Go and have a look at some Sunday shoots. Why not visit Weston Wood on Sunday and just have a wander round. Buy a bacon roll, chat to some folks, stick your ear protection in and walk the course. Not an event that you should shoot at this stage, but you will learn a lot.

Welcome aboard,

Martyn what area of south oxon are you,four counties at the back of welford,you can book coaching on Sunday mornings best not to on their registered days though.

Hello Martyn.

I'm also in South Oxon and also new to the sport.  It was a day at EJ Churchill over the Christmas break that inspired me to take it up.

I've since shot at Happy Valley (off A33 south of Reading) and had a couple of lessons with Tony and yesterday shot at Flightline near Maidenhead for the first time.  Both clubs are very friendly,informal and welcoming to newbies.  Happy Valley and Flightline shoot alternate Sundays during the Winter so you could shoot every weekend so long as you're allowed out to play!  

I would love to go back to EJC but it will probably be as a treat rather than shooting there every week.  Having said that the facilities are fantastic.

Matt 

Thanks. I have emailed four counties but as yet I have not had a reply.

Happy Valley is on my hit list, I work shifts and I'm working this weekend.

It will probably be easier for me to shoot weekdays as a rule.

I'm near Didcot.

Hi Martyn, Welcome to the Forum :hi:  Enjoy your visits  :thumbsu: .

I shoot the same area, As has been mentioned EJC and Oxford Gun are good as they offer easy access toy training and lessons through the week and Saturdays. Spoilt for choice when it comes to Sundays. There are shoots every weekend in our area.

Well worth a visit would be Common Leys Farm (Waterperry), Crazy Bear (Stadhampton), Greenfields (Oxford) to mention but a few. All friendly and have coaching options. Crazy Bear has the benefit of all stands being manned so going around on your own is simple.

Will mentioned EJC's evening shoots, these are coming to an end for this year but they have just confirmed that from November 5 they will be offering each week:

Wednesday - 12:00 to 16:00 - Compak and Skeet @ £6 per round

Thursday - 12:00 to 16:00 - 50 Bird Sporting @ £17.50 per round

Reasonable prices and a great way to get to know the ground.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I still haven't, after 2+ weeks, had a reply from four counties.

(sue****[email protected])

Does anyone know if it is still active please.

Thanks again,

Martyn.

Sue is a member here - @Sue Claridge - and yes, they are definitely still active.

I'll ping her and let her know there is a thread needing her attention!

Latest posts

Back