hey and starting competitions

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbriggs166

hey all, this will be 1 st post on here, i'm 16 nearly 17 and have been shooting since i was 11/12, i have a firearms and shotgun license.

Recently i have been thinking about starting competitions either sporting clays or FITASC. I have started shooting clays twice a week to get practise. i was just wondering if anyone good give me any advise on how to get into competition shooting and tips/rules etc

Thanks Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Best advice is to go along to a local CPSA registered shoot. Have a look around and a chat to the staff, then give it a go. Nothing odd to know and much easier to see it for yourself.

Maybe walk around and watch a few stands before you enter.

Any specific questions after, all the answers are on here.

Best of luck!

Best advice is to go along to a local CPSA registered shoot. Have a look around and a chat to the staff, then give it a go. Nothing odd to know and much easier to see it for yourself.

Maybe walk around and watch a few stands before you enter.

Any specific questions after, all the answers are on here.

Best of luck!
yeh i was thinking of watching a few competitons before :)

cheers mate

I always imagined that it would be formal. It isn't. Just a normal shoot, but a bit tougher with (hopefully) proper scorers on each stand. Where abouts are you? Do you know where the best / near grounds are?

Welcome along Tom. Lots of very knowledgeable people on here to point you in the right direction! Have fun! ;)

I always imagined that it would be formal. It isn't. Just a normal shoot, but a bit tougher with (hopefully) proper scorers on each stand. Where abouts are you? Do you know where the best / near grounds are?
north yorkshire, there are 2 shooting ground near me 1 is a mile away and the other is 5 miles away and is cpsa registered, thats called coniston shooting ground, dont know if you have heard of it?

Welcome along Tom. Lots of very knowledgeable people on here to point you in the right direction! Have fun! ;)

I'm a southerner, but if its CPSA registered it will be fine. I would advise ESP (English sporting) rather than FITASC for starters. Also ESP is much cheaper and easier to find..

Enjoy..

Welcome Tom, Good luck with the sporting stuff. When you get bored with it, have a go at some trap shooting mate!! :eek: ;)

Bored.. with.. sporting.. How does that work then?
Blimey Will that was fast! I knew it would get some attention from one of the sporting boys pretty quickly, but that was really fast! Well done mate, but I was only kidding, honest! :D I can now wait for the barrage from all the other sporting guys! :D

Bored.. with.. sporting.. How does that work then?
It's the tediously similar target presentations you have to shoot time after time, speeds and angles always being the same ground to ground, saying to yourself, "which of the 5 hold points do I need, method..........eh? Nope that's the same, oh, and shoot it up the arse going away!!!

Hang on, wait a minute..........that's not sporting ........that's TRAP!!!

It's the tediously similar target presentations you have to shoot time after time, speeds and angles always being the same ground to ground, saying to yourself, "which of the 5 hold points do I need, method..........eh? Nope that's the same, oh, and shoot it up the arse going away!!!

Hang on, wait a minute..........that's not sporting ........that's TRAP!!!
Wonderful! A nice bit of fluffy rabbits! :.: :.:

haha :D , i will give trap a try to be fair, what do you guys think about sporting clays in the olympics do you think it should be included, as i was surprised years ago when i 1st found out it wasnt an event in the olympics

haha :D , i will give trap a try to be fair, what do you guys think about sporting clays in the olympics do you think it should be included, as i was surprised years ago when i 1st found out it wasnt an event in the olympics
I opened a can of worms earlier and you have just opened another one! :.:

Latest posts

Back