How to get better?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This 100%. I am also a relatively newcomer to the sport and would love to learn more about the subject with a view to taking that advice away to the practise ground, but when those that I aspire towards just keep taking chunks out of each other it minds to to look elsewhere….such a shame.
It is, BUT, you are also likely to encounter this stupidity at shooting grounds, I speak from experience. I know of a couple of new shooters who have packed it in, solely due to bad experiences and attitudes of some more experienced shooters, who should have known better.

I'll chip in my 2 pence.

Completely agree with Westley's post above.

(In my opinion)
Field sports and shooting in the UK are misunderstood and generally get a bad press from the mainstream media and those not involved within the community or the sport. Elitist attitudes, in-fighting, trying to drag eachother down or turn everything into a c*ck measuring contest helps nobody. It certainly doesn't encourage those that are new and interested in the sport trying to find their way in.

Additional it's worth pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and what works for one might not work for another.

With regards to advice for a new shooter. A friend from the US suggested that some people like to keep a shooters diary. It can help with notes and thoughts about how well we are doing (to grow confidence), and can highlight anything that we're struggling with. It's something that I plan on trying myself.

Additional it's worth pointing out that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and what works for one might not work for another.

With regards to advice for a new shooter. A friend from the US suggested that some people like to keep a shooters diary. It can help with notes and thoughts about how well we are doing (to grow confidence), and can highlight anything that we're struggling with. It's something that I plan on trying myself.
Two bits of really good advice & comment - particularly the first.

Long story short, the more you shoot the better you'll get. Don't scrimp on lessons, you need to get the basics right, if you allow yourself to develop bad habits early, they'll be hard to eradicate.. a decent coach shouldn't let you get away with introducing bad habits.
Practice does not make perfect, it ingrains habit, make sure they are good habits.

You'll find that the better you get, the harder it is to improve.
Anyone can score 50,out of 100 after some basic instruction, you'll progress to 60s and 70s with some effort and so on, but moving from 80 to 90, and 90 to 95 takes a lot of time and money, commitment and talent, it's is something few of us will do.

When I miss, I stop, think about the technique, and execute it properly. It's amazing how much better you shoot when you do the basic things right.

You are at the start if a great journey, enjoy it, it will keep you both satisfied and challenged for years.

All the best.

Long story short, the more you shoot the better you'll get. Don't scrimp on lessons, you need to get the basics right, if you allow yourself to develop bad habits early, they'll be hard to eradicate.. a decent coach shouldn't let you get away with introducing bad habits.
Practice does not make perfect, it ingrains habit, make sure they are good habits.

You'll find that the better you get, the harder it is to improve.
Anyone can score 50,out of 100 after some basic instruction, you'll progress to 60s and 70s with some effort and so on, but moving from 80 to 90, and 90 to 95 takes a lot of time and money, commitment and talent, it's is something few of us will do.

When I miss, I stop, think about the technique, and execute it properly. It's amazing how much better you shoot when you do the basic things right.

You are at the start if a great journey, enjoy it, it will keep you both satisfied and challenged for years.

All the best.
Really couldn’t agree more with everything you have said but especially the when you miss stop, think and re evaluate. The amount of times I have been in a stand that 3 pairs. Missed the 1st pair. Done the exact same thing again obviously missed again and wondered why ?

Latest posts

Back