How to?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popeye

Hi All

Whats the best way to go out doing sporting clays without a instructor by your side and then knowing what you are doing wrong if you start missing rather a lot. Is it just a case of practice, practice, practice and it will come?

thanks

popeye

Hi All

Whats the best way to go out doing sporting clays without a instructor by your side and then knowing what you are doing wrong if you start missing rather a lot. Is it just a case of practice, practice, practice and it will come?

thanks

popeye
I reckon it was about a year before I was pretty sure where I was missing. Up to that point, I mainly shot with a caddy at EJ Churchill, who would tell me if I asked. You don't learn very quickly without some instruction and assistance at first. Also, you may lock some very bad habits in. If you only have a few lessons your whole shooting career, have them in the the first few months.

It's good to have a few lessons at first then increase the interval and practice in between, before long you will find the shots  that you struggle with and can go back for a focused lesson.

Im not sure where you are based but Eastern Sporting in Chelmsford have a brilliant simulator that works on cameras and gyroscopes and will you a huge amount of data which will help you learn even more.

Takes a while.  I started about five years ago and I know where I've missed on most targets, but I'll still get the occasional one that I can't work out.

I would recommend to try to shoot with together with people that already have some experience.

They can help you in case you're missing a lot and don't know what goes wrong.

Only one bit of advice - Don't take any advice from people who cannot hit a barn door!!!!!!!!

Hi All

thanks

popeye
Best thing to do if you aren't seeing a coach (I know a very good one), is to see one, so he or she can quickly get rid of any basic flaws you might have that's causing you miss and miss.

Better off spending half a day with a good instructor rather than turning up to your local ground, shooting 50 cartridges at one target, barely hitting it and not knowing what's going wrong.

Theres no point in shooting seriously in either practice or competition without having a good plan and shot routine.

I don't think there is a way. I'm also new to the sport. Last weekend, I went by myself to Longridge. On one stand I got my first ever zero and I had no clue to why I was missing, it was very frustrating. Strangely, on the next stand, there was a massive queue due to a break down, everyone was missing quite a few and it seemed like a hard stand. After the previous zero, I was worried because of all the people watching behind me but I went and got 10/10. I seemed to be doing the same thing as the precious stand and couldn't figure out where I had gone wrong, I would have loved an experienced shot with me to point me in the right direction.

I can empathise with the difficulty of finding a shooting buddy but just ask the person behind the desk if they can introduce you to someone to tag along with, I've met loads of great folks this way. It's a bit more difficult with a registered, but local shoots you'll find lots of willing helpers.  :)

Latest posts

Back