ISSF

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMD

As I previously mentioned I am very new to shooting, never picked up a gun before until a few months ago. I have been watching the ISSF videos to the point of going over my bandwidth on several occasions .

I am fascinated with the sport of skeet and trap and fascinated at what a great life if must be to travel to all these beautiful places and shoot at some of the most beautiful facilities around.

Is their money to be made in this sport, can you make a good living doing something you love to do?

It must cost a fortune doing the circuit; and there is limited sponsorship by the looks of it.

I have been watching George Digweed and Kim Rhode and others they seem to be doing well

Joe

Unless you are fully funded, you have to have very deep pockets for doing the international circuit. I'd love to, but the training it would take to get near that level would be well beyond my means!! :(

Unless you are fully funded, you have to have very deep pockets for doing the international circuit. I'd love to, but the training it would take to get near that level would be well beyond my means!! :(
It certainly looks that way. I think Kim Rhode shoots up to a 1000 shells a day just to practice, throw in a 10,000 dollar gun not to mention airfare hotels a coach, living expenses, not everyone gets sponsored.

I don't see these sports televised, the audience is small at most events, how to they get revenue to support these events

Joe

AFAIK no one makes a great living from shooting trap and/or skeet, if at all.

As much as I agree the costs are a major reason why many never make the big time, there are a few other things necessary. There is little in the way of widespread public adulation and celebrity payback in lifestyle associated with clay shooting so that will preclude your partner from putting up with your continued absence every weekend. You need a supportive wife or husband, preferably no kids, a monster drive and ambition to win, a body able to withstand a monster amount of practice shells and a winners killer instinct.

I have known quite a few people apparently able to progress close to the top but literally give up a yard short. Many just can't stand the ceaseless pressure of competition every single week, believe me it does take it's toll on the mind as well as your shoulder.

Monetarily you need maybe 400 birds a week at least initially when learning the basics, the more the better in fact. If you happen to get sponsorship for a gun and shells, you still have to find the money and time to travel and enter, few get that as well. The obvious example of success is of course George Digweed but he has achieved the status that allows multiple sponsorship deals plus he runs a sporting agency too.

Up until such time that the sport is taken up by TV coverage and the money which may flow through that, you're better off having a lucky dip on the lottery once or twice a week.

In the old days Joe, there were some great perks of the trade.... of which the Italians had some of the best. Venturini used to drive around in a Ferrari that he was given in a sponsor deal. Winnings were good too...... cars were on offer at top shoots......Rolex watches as they had a big connection to the OT majors. etc etc

Now it is a different game.......not much of anything really, the odd car here and there, the watches are now Brietling....etc etc

Passion is why most do it........passion for the sport and passion to win.

In the old days Joe, there were some great perks of the trade.... of which the Italians had some of the best. Venturini used to drive around in a Ferrari that he was given in a sponsor deal. Winnings were good too...... cars were on offer at top shoots......Rolex watches as they had a big connection to the OT majors. etc etc

Now it is a different game.......not much of anything really, the odd car here and there, the watches are now Brietling....etc etc

Passion is why most do it........passion for the sport and passion to win.
Its unfortunate because I think its an exciting sport, and deserving of more TV time, I think people are missing out on something good.

I hope one day it picks up, I would look great in a Ferrari :) :)

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Its unfortunate because I think its an exciting sport, and deserving of more TV time, I think people are missing out on something good.

I hope one day it picks up, I would look great in a Ferrari :) :)

Joe

Ferrari, oh dear. Please don't hold your breath in anticipation.

What my fellow posters have forgotten to say is that our sport is not mainstream, and thus the "public" have no interest in it. The various governments, given the chance would legislate the sport out of existance, that's just a sad fact.

In saying all this, like many of my friends I have "shot" for many years, the money I spent would have been very handy in later life, but I would not change a thing, you can't put a price on friendship and pure enjoyment.

Phil*

Sadly you are not going to get rich or famous from shooting! You can be the best shot in the world, but as soon as you step foot off a shooting ground nobody knows you or cares what you do!!

I had it in my head that if you win a couple of big uns' then people will fall over themselves to support you, and you will be on a free ticket for the next few years. Turns out its not the case!!

I spent a couple of years spending every penny I earnt (not much!) shooting a case of shells a week, all spare time etc on shooting. I did well, won some stuff and had a laugh, but decided that the reward for it was not even close to being worth the costs in time and effort. Even if you have a great season you wil do well to come out a few £1,000 (and I mean a few) ahead of where you went in, counting shells, fuel, food, entries, hotles etc etc).

If you want to do it, go for it and enjoy it! But if you think youl make money at it look again, the only thing your likely to get is a nasty shock!

Enjoy and if you can win, so much the better.

At my age my money is well spent doing other things like retirement.

I plan on getting a nice over under and shoot locally, thats about it.

I would love a Parazzi or K 80, that may come in the near future

Joe

External funding/sponsorship is the key...unfortunately 99% of the "civilized" world equate guns with killing things....and there are very few corporate organisations that are ever going to risk an association with that particular subject. I could envisage a cyclical improvement at some stage in the future...but it would probably have to come from a perceived benefit to some non-shooting related US corprates selling internationally in the bigger non-US shooting markets. For instance a US carmaker trying to crack a niche market in Italy or the UK....other than that the sport will have to rely on its own suppliers (guns, cartridges etcetera) or corporates run/owned by individuals who have a personal attachment to the sport. Unfortunately, however unpalatable, that means that in the short term if the sport wants increased funding it needs to seek the largesse of the few wealthy corporate owners who enjoy/appreciate the sport. The ISSF, BITSCF and CPSA need to know who these people are and actively solicit/state the case for sponsorship of the sport....or more likely everyone can keep competing for £100 every sunday :(

Corporations should wake up because there are millions of gun owners out there, I was surprised at how many are in Canada. All the classes are booked solid, more and more people will be entering the sport, whether its handguns, rifles or shot guns.

I believe that if people would just come out and try it, they would get hooked, I know I did. Its also a great social event, I have met the very young and the very old, doctors, cops, engineers, you name it, One day I hope to make a trip your way and shoot at some of your beautiful facilities, but I bet the paperwork would be a nightmare getting my gun there, it might be easier to rent

Joe

Sadly our sport of clay shooting is managed by amateurs, more like Eccles than Ecclestone.

Many years ago when I was in Grand Prix racing I used to enthuse about clayshooting to my friends and colleagues, helped by wee jackie who was very enthusiastic we managed to organise various opportunities to go shooting in what little leisure time we had. Fortunately one of the directors of the tobacco group that owned JPS, British American Tobacco, was keen and we got them to get involved with clayshooting by introducing them to the CPSA. Sadly like lambs to the slaughter BAT'S money and enthusiasm was bled dry without it being directed correctly.

When you get an association led by a CEO who cannot even read the shooters name on his skeet vest whilst handing out prizes at the CLA and muddles up the presentation you will have a sport that is going nowhere.

We only have to look at the debacle at our recent AGM to realise that we are in dire straights.

Talking of which Marl Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Alison Moya and Stevie Winwood are mad keen on clayshooting, have we harvested their enthusiasm? No.

Wow Alison Moya..........good girl........I never knew that.

Which proves a point, I have been in shooting for well over 20 years, and I did not know that..........why?

Well a complete fortune has now gone into HQ with new additions to the staff for communications and PR added to the existing commercial department with a massive budget so hopefully things should turn around very very quickly.

Latest posts

Back