log burner, its the future

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not the carcass its your feet :lol: that smell

Last edited by a moderator:
Comb Over?

Fan.jpg

god, I remember those. Bloody hideous things and no comparison with my rather dapper artex ?

Mrs IPS won't be calling it dapper when the ash from the fire starts building like a swallows nest!

I have a vision  in my head of IPS in his artex trophy room on a cold night, with a malt in one hand and the log fire burning with the dog at his side saying ho well and throwing his score card in the fire :lol:

One winters burning wood for my  wood burners the wood cut and stacked is oak the un cut pile is hornbeam for the cooker brilliant burning wood

.DSCN0827.JPG

Do any of you live anywhere near the 21st Century?

:poke:
I live in France Charlie... they are still humming and hawing about the outcome of the revolution in some quarters :lol:

Any way I have to say down here the burning of logs comes second only to burning witches and other nerdowells  I have to say the warmth given off by my two burners is really great it is a really comforting warmth... just a bit crap when I have to venture out into the cold to fetch more logs in the pissing rain. Of course I am talking about burning logs at this point ... witches give off a nice heat with a slightly aromatic quality some find not too unpleasant You do need good ear defenders though  :lol:

We have a wood burner, and I would not ever have a house without one now.  It heats the whole of the downstairs, gives off a wonderful heat and yes the dog loves it, sits so close to it it's a wonder her fur doesn't burn!  I would rather have the wood burner on than the central heating, it's a more natural heat and it's lovely to look at too, turn the lights off and you get s lovely glow, makes you feel all homely!!!!  

We get quite a few power cuts in the winter so it comes in handy when there's no other form of heating, I've got some heavy duty saucepans which I have used to heat water for tea/coffee and soup on the top too.  Every house should have one!

Right Ian so to be in the log burner club proper you will need the following

A decent Stihl chainsaw. I have an 038 which is old but very good and allows cutting logs and any tree I may be given. Chain sharpening kit for it

A merlin for splitting logs

Hydraulic log splitter

A stackable saw horse for log cutting

decent wood shed for stacking and drying.

One tip on driving your log burner  NEVER clean your fire out every day. Always maintain a good bed of ashes in the bottom of the stove.  I remove some of the ashes from time to time but the stove always has a thick bed of ash in the bottom the stove gives off a better heat and burns better. If you want to move the heat you can get a stove top fan, although because your stove is not in a chimney you may not  get the benefit I get from mine which moves more hot air out into the room rather than let it go up the chimney.

Here are my two stoves. I fitted them both myself. Bang for buck the kitchen stove is tops nothing beats coming into the house on a cold day and getting blasted with the warmth from the stove. It is a winner heating and cooking brilliant.DSCN3236.JPGDSCN3238.JPG

And here I was thinking I was pretty retro with a gas range.  

Imagine that

And witches could only be toasted in quarters prolly and that could get just way messy.  Do you use the broom for a spit?

Latest posts

Back