Luther - MacGyver Moment - opinions please...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Something has been puzzling me all day - I thought I would turn to the only group of ballistics experts I know...

Before I start - I acknowledge that what I watched was fiction, and anything can work in a story - but I'd love your opinions. 

In the finale of last nights Luther (BBC1 - 9pm - probably on iplayer) - there was a scene where 'Alice' the multiple murderer who is a friend of Luther, used a nail to fire a bullet at an assailant, I want to know if its possible.

Basically - it worked like this. 

• Gather bullet from discarded handgun magazine, picture  nail from the wall, and a heavy object (I think it was a door lock mechanism)
  • Grip bullet at chest height in between two swinging doors - apply pressure by leaning on both doors
  • Use heavy object to bash nail into the primer (?) of the bullet
  • Hit nasty chasing man in shoulder - man falls over, they run. 
So - notwithstanding the fact that gripping a bullet between two swing doors is a bit tricky - I'll accept that they made that work. There was obviously no barrel for accuracy, but it was near as dammit point blank, so again, I accept if it fired - then it could hit someone at 4-5 feet. 

Is it possible that a bullet could be fired like that?  Or is this MacGyver style dreamland. 

Right then - away ye go - I know I'm probably an idiot, but if you turn on me, it'll save you arguing amongst yourselves this evening.  :haha:

Did you also notice the guy with sawn off pump gun had a magazine that never needed filling,like the cowboy's six shooter in second rate cowboy films ?

Vic.

Something has been puzzling me all day - I thought I would turn to the only group of ballistics experts I know...

Before I start - I acknowledge that what I watched was fiction, and anything can work in a story - but I'd love your opinions. 

In the finale of last nights Luther (BBC1 - 9pm - probably on iplayer) - there was a scene where 'Alice' the multiple murderer who is a friend of Luther, used a nail to fire a bullet at an assailant, I want to know if its possible.

Basically - it worked like this. 

• Gather bullet from discarded handgun magazine, picture  nail from the wall, and a heavy object (I think it was a door lock mechanism)
  • Grip bullet at chest height in between two swinging doors - apply pressure by leaning on both doors
  • Use heavy object to bash nail into the primer (?) of the bullet
  • Hit nasty chasing man in shoulder - man falls over, they run. 
So - notwithstanding the fact that gripping a bullet between two swing doors is a bit tricky - I'll accept that they made that work. There was obviously no barrel for accuracy, but it was near as dammit point blank, so again, I accept if it fired - then it could hit someone at 4-5 feet. 

Is it possible that a bullet could be fired like that?  Or is this MacGyver style dreamland. 

Right then - away ye go - I know I'm probably an idiot, but if you turn on me, it'll save you arguing amongst yourselves this evening.  :haha:

One for Mythbuster I reckon.

It would blow the case apart and probably kill you with the shrapnel if you managed to make it go bang. Thats why chambers or barrels are proofed to god knows how many tons, you need a chamber to contain the explosion and push the bullet forward else it will just explode everywhere :)

There is no pressure build up without the barrel - the cartridge bursts open with about just the force of a primer. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME - an auto can be fired without a barrel on and the shot caught within yards [the extractor claws hold the cartridge to the firing block].

The case needs to be enclosed to contain the expansion, thus allowing the projectile (bullet) to only move in one direction.

If the case is not contained expansion will take place in every unsupported direction. A cartridge does not explode it burns, and the increase in temperature raises the internal pressure, causing expansion, forcing the projectile out of the case (path of least resistance).  

BY no means an expert here, but based on previous comments,It might  have been possible since the doors the bullet was trapped between appeared to cover most of the casing leaving only a portion of  the actual bullet standing proud of the doors externally, so the pressure perhaps would have been enough to discharge the bullet ??

The only variable here is that pistol ammunition was used and because of short [4"] barrels fast burning powder or cordite was used but no, on the round case between the doors it's like the grip of pliers - only 20% of the case was compressed. Once the bullet has popped out as the line of least resistance there is no more pressure. As Salop explains - powder burns, an explosive material is 1000 times faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are being a bit generous on the combined IQ so must be the caliber...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

nothing wrong with IQ matching ones shoe size, ambition comes into play when one tries to progress to collar size

If not for stupid people some of the worlds greatest flying and exploding creations may never have been realised as they say... God bless America and those that play banjos

Latest posts

Back