My first gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to my local gun shop on Saturday in anticipation of the arrival of my SGC, talk about little boy in a sweet shop!

They were very good with me, suggested politely that my mount needs improving, which was no surprise, I am still working on it.

It all got a bit embarrassing as I ended up trying so many that the racks started to look empty and the counters and worktops, well ran out of room.

To cut a long story short as I expected from the wisdom on the web it came down to a short-list of a Miroku MK38 and Browning B525 both to my amazement in standard length as I am 6'4" with long arms. The Miroku felt like a slightly better fit, I have no idea why but as I had tried so many different guns I was feeling very confused by this point.

The reason for my post is to ask what is different between these two? As I say the Miroku felt slightly better, it just seemed easier to get my eye over the rib but I much preferred the finish of the stock on the Browning the oil finish over varnish seemed a no brainer. Secondly my coach has told me to get a 32" from working with me but in the shop they reckon 30" was more suitable, my instinct is to go with my coach as he has spent a lot of time shooting with me but they are I am sure very knowledgeable in the shop, I really would like to get it right first time and not keep on changing.

I do know the answer is to try them both and what ever I am most comfortable with buy but as I say I am a novice and am sure that what feels best today would not tomorrow but until I take the plunge and have something to practice my mount with I am sure that will not change.

At Ian Coley's you can try both of those guns before you buy once you have your SGC. I'm a novice too and I bought an MK38 32" sporter and am really enjoying shooting it.....good luck with whatever you go for.

I went to my local gun shop on Saturday in anticipation of the arrival of my SGC, talk about little boy in a sweet shop!

They were very good with me, suggested politely that my mount needs improving, which was no surprise, I am still working on it.

It all got a bit embarrassing as I ended up trying so many that the racks started to look empty and the counters and worktops, well ran out of room.

To cut a long story short as I expected from the wisdom on the web it came down to a short-list of a Miroku MK38 and Browning B525 both to my amazement in standard length as I am 6'4" with long arms. The Miroku felt like a slightly better fit, I have no idea why but as I had tried so many different guns I was feeling very confused by this point.

The reason for my post is to ask what is different between these two? As I say the Miroku felt slightly better, it just seemed easier to get my eye over the rib but I much preferred the finish of the stock on the Browning the oil finish over varnish seemed a no brainer. Secondly my coach has told me to get a 32" from working with me but in the shop they reckon 30" was more suitable, my instinct is to go with my coach as he has spent a lot of time shooting with me but they are I am sure very knowledgeable in the shop, I really would like to get it right first time and not keep on changing.

I do know the answer is to try them both and what ever I am most comfortable with buy but as I say I am a novice and am sure that what feels best today would not tomorrow but until I take the plunge and have something to practice my mount with I am sure that will not change.
Well they are both made in the Miroku factory in Japan. Stock dimensions will be slightly different, as far as I know, all Miroku's have oiled stocks, not sure about the Brownings though. Mechanically they are basically the same gun. I have an MK38 32inch and a 3800 30inch and I have no problem with either 30" or 32", it's more about overall balance than just barrel length, I'm 6ft 2 in and I have never had a Miroku altered to fit me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that both guns come from the same factory I would go with what feels right for you . As for barrel length , go with your coach. Most people start with a 30 inch but 32 inch should work just as well for someone over 6 foot tall . Most people prefer the Miroku to the Browning.

Hi stroudwaterboy,

I am in exactly the same predicament as you! I am new to the sport looking for my first gun and am 6'4"! I was also looking at the MK38 and B525. My friend has just bought a 30" 525 which is really nice and I shot Ok with it the other night. Like you my mounting is all over the place at the minute so not all that helpful.

Unfortunately I had the chance to try out a Ultra XS and I am now considering spending a lot more that my original budget to buy one of these! I feel a lot more comfortable looking down the rib of the XS. I find the combe on the MK38's and B525's a little low sometimes so the adjustable combe on the XS should help out with this.

I was originally looking for a 30" gun but after shooting a 32" XS this weekend I am now thinking this might be a better bet. It was definitely slightly heavier but felt a lot smoother when trying to hit crossers.

Best of luck with your decision. Please keep us updated.

Mark

I feel your pain. I posted on a similar issue here: 

Don't feel rushed. I bothered every gun shop around and borrowed two very similar guns to shoot with. You can always take your coach into the shop with you. I found that I needed at least three sessions of holding guns before I started distinguishing what felt right without shooting it.

I would suggest that you visit other gun shops and see if you get a similar result, especially if you are buying second hand. I was comparing two Silver pigeon 20 bores at the weekend and they felt and looked completely different. I had a similar experience with the Browning 525, so the same model of gun might feel different with different modification. The advice I was given was that if you get something reasonably good of a known model, like you're talking about, you are probably going to be okay but if you have made a horrendous mistake you can sell it without much if any loss in value and start back at square one. 

The reason for my post is to ask what is different between these two? As I say the Miroku felt slightly better, it just seemed easier to get my eye over the rib but I much preferred the finish of the stock on the Browning the oil finish over varnish seemed a no brainer. Secondly my coach has told me to get a 32" from working with me but in the shop they reckon 30" was more suitable, my instinct is to go with my coach as he has spent a lot of time shooting with me but they are I am sure very knowledgeable in the shop, I really would like to get it right first time and not keep on changing
The finish on the woodwork will have no effect on your shooting.If the Miroku fits you better and feels better then don't let the oiled finish on the Browning influence your decision.

As you gain experience it is often the case that you will feel that you need to change your gun because it will make you shoot better,try to avoid this.An example is going up from 30" to 32". If you have confidence in your coach and he/she has improved your performance then stick with their advice.

Vic.

Very few people stay with their first gun for long. A second hand Browning or Miroku will hold its value when you come to sell it. Go with your coach. He is the one who has seen you shoot and is well placed to offer advice. As a beginner it is easy to be misled when looking at a gun in the shop. Only experience will teach you what you really need v what you can afford. Remember most guns shoot better than you and that fit is the key.

Very few people stay with their first gun for long. A second hand Browning or Miroku will hold its value when you come to sell it. Go with your coach. He is the one who has seen you shoot and is well placed to offer advice. As a beginner it is easy to be misled when looking at a gun in the shop. Only experience will teach you what you really need v what you can afford. Remember most guns shoot better than you and that fit is the key.
I must be one of the few then, as I still have and use my original gun which I have had about 8 years now...............The only reason I brought another gun is because I wanted a dedicated trap gun.

Well they are both made in the Miroku factory in Japan. Stock dimensions will be slightly different, as far as I know, all Miroku's have oiled stocks, not sure about the Brownings though. Mechanically they are basically the same gun. I have an MK38 32inch and a 3800 30inch and I have no problem with either 30" or 32", it's more about overall balance than just barrel length, I'm 6ft 2 in and I have never had a Miroku altered to fit me.
I go along with Les, they are both out of the same factory and very similar.  I have both of these and have no intention of changing either.  I got the 525 as soon as I got my SGC and was bought the MK38 for my 50th recently - both keepers as far as I am concerned (at the moment!!)

The only thing I disagree with Les on is the stock - the MK38 Grade1 (although they call it that, the wood is listed as Grade 2) has a varnished stock & forend - I know, I've just removed the varnish from mine & oiled it.

In hindsight I would go for the MK38 and stick with it, you won't go wrong.  Lovely gun.

Stick with your instincts.  If the Mirook felt better then that is the one to go with.  It felt better for a reason - it suits you better, simples.....

I disagree 2 I bought a lanber field deluxe as my first gun. Had 28 inch barrels and loved it kept it for 8 years and was 2nd hand when I got it! No problems with it. In December I bought a mk38 trap with 32inch barrels and would not go back !

My OH is 6ft 4 and he went for a Browning B525 30".  Didn't need any alteration to the stock and it fits him well.  He initially wanted a Beretta, but it was so obvious that it didn't fit him straight off the shelf, drop on the comb was far to small.

Every beretta Iv tryed feels horrid bar the dt10. New 1s are even worse! The dt 11 feels like a brick and looks horrid! Very poor wood and very plain! Looks like it should cost about £ 1000. But so do most of them , only the ell models look alright!

I go along with Les, they are both out of the same factory and very similar.  I have both of these and have no intention of changing either.  I got the 525 as soon as I got my SGC and was bought the MK38 for my 50th recently - both keepers as far as I am concerned (at the moment!!)

The only thing I disagree with Les on is the stock - the MK38 Grade1 (although they call it that, the wood is listed as Grade 2) has a varnished stock & forend - I know, I've just removed the varnish from mine & oiled it.

In hindsight I would go for the MK38 and stick with it, you won't go wrong.  Lovely gun.
Well I never knew that the grade 1 had varnish! You live and learn as they say!!

Thank you everyone for your helpful and thoughtful replies.

I went to another very helpful shop today, was only shown 32" guns, I asked and was told it was clear that 32" was the right size for me. The problem I now have is I tried a Browning 725 and it fitted me like a glove, I had decided I should be sensible and buy second hand but I think I would have to go new for this. To have this much choice is a nice problem to have now I just have to make up my mind. 

I haven't seen a S/H 725 yet as they are quite new but trawl GunTrader, GunWatch and GunStar regularly and you might get lucky.

Isn't the 725 a lighter, Beretta look alike, sort of Browning?  Might sound like heresy but that's my dispassionate view.

You originally found the Miroku 38 and Browning 525 suitable with the Miroku favoured.  What's changed or had you not seen a 725 then?  I know a couple of people who are very taken with 725's.  At least the latest shop agrees with you coach that 32" is the right size for you.

Seem to be one or two second hand 725's but they are holding their price so well it is not worth it. I did attempt to try one at the first shop but they said no point they are not suitable for someone your size!

In my inexperienced opinion I found the 725 to be a halfway house between Berretta's and Browning's i.e. it was lighter and slimmer than the 525/mk38 but heavier/chunkier than the (I think) 686e I tried. I found that (trying to get technical now) the comb was just a little lower and I was looking directly along the rib rather than slightly down on it. Of course for the difference in price between a second hand MK38 and new 725 I could get a lot of alterations made.

Latest posts

Back