New Browning release - 825

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that is interesting but it will need someone clever or 'in the know' to explain the differences between it and the 725.

Bite is still below the barrels and I'm not sure what the fuss is about the trigger pulls - needs explaining beyond saying they are reliable and pointing out the three different triggers and three different positions.

Looks like a 725 only with 825 written on the side.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of upgrades or at least nothing mentioned in the video. Apart from some revised barrel tech I'm not sure where Browning can go with this. Very much still a middle of the market basic sporting gun. It would have been interesting to see what they could have done to break into the £8k - £12k market with a DT11 alternative.

I'm willing to bet £5 on the opening cost for a 32" sporter with fixed comb stock being £4000 minimum. Kind of has the same feel about it when Gamebore introduced the rose gold as an alternative the white gold. Nothing really changed except for 20% uplift in price.

Well that is interesting but it will need someone clever or 'in the know' to explain the differences between it and the 725.

Bite is still below the barrels and I'm not sure what the fuss is about the trigger pulls - needs explaining beyond saying they are reliable and pointing out the three different triggers and three different positions.
725 trigger is a pile of cack. It's some weird halfway-house between mechanical and inertia. My husband has shot one for ages and every 100 or so trigger pulls the pull weight increases for no apparent reason. If it's gone back to a similar trigger to the 525 that wouldn't be a bad thing and might interest some.

The Browning website says - "Features all new styling, Fire Lite 2 Mechanical Trigger, enhanced controls, and the Invector-DS choke tube system."

Looks like a rework of the "cack" in the 725 unfortunately. Officially its a "Fire Lite" not "cack" trigger so, Bebo, no future for you in marketing.

US prices start at $3,700 which seems to be about $200 more than a similar 725.

Its funny how the MK11 reverted to the 525 triggers - says everything about Miroku's view of the 725 internals.

MK11 game gun ( low profile 725 derivative) has it , so it’s not impossible
Yeah, spotted that a while ago. Husband doesn't want to spend that much on a gun as he doesn't shoot anywhere near as much as I do, but I'm tempted to buy him one for Xmas anyway.

Ive got a B725s 2021 and the triggers are fine, both about 3.2lb. My mates got a pro master, same trigger no problem, his is a newer gun as well.
They are night and day better than the triggers on the 694 I traded in.

I know the triggers on the 725 early model with the wavy lines on the action had some problems.

Last edited:
Ive got a B725s 2021 and the triggers are fine, both about 3.2lb. My mates got a pro master, same trigger no problem, his is a newer gun as well.
They are night and day better than the triggers on the 694 I traded in.

I know the triggers on the 725 early model with the wavy lines on the action had some problems.
His is a lot older, must be getting on for 10 years. I've had my K-gun for 8 years and he got it before then.

Looks like a 725 only with 825 written on the side.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of upgrades or at least nothing mentioned in the video. Apart from some revised barrel tech I'm not sure where Browning can go with this. Very much still a middle of the market basic sporting gun. It would have been interesting to see what they could have done to break into the £8k - £12k market with a DT11 alternative.

I'm willing to bet £5 on the opening cost for a 32" sporter with fixed comb stock being £4000 minimum. Kind of has the same feel about it when Gamebore introduced the rose gold as an alternative the white gold. Nothing really changed except for 20% uplift in price.
What completely new should be done to a shotgun? Just minor improvements. In the end we as hobby shooters all could live with B25s, 682s and so on.
Beretta advertised it´s latest Topmodel, the SL2, month ago and after the Olympics in Paris we got the DT11 advertised as the most succesful
gun in history again.
It is good to have a reliable quality product but clay shooting is not a sport where equipment makes a huge difference.

Cool!
In my opinion browning struggles with packaging here. Ramped ribs, porting, no hard cases, tacky hi viz sights instead of just using Bradley beads, gold accents instead of black and silver, on and on. Hopefully they get this one right!

What completely new should be done to a shotgun? Just minor improvements. In the end we as hobby shooters all could live with B25s, 682s and so on.
Beretta advertised it´s latest Topmodel, the SL2, month ago and after the Olympics in Paris we got the DT11 advertised as the most succesful
gun in history again.
It is good to have a reliable quality product but clay shooting is not a sport where equipment makes a huge difference.

I'm not sure what the point of your post is but there isn't much that really can be done to warrant a new model at the standard 725 price point which was the point of my post. Shotguns have been around in one form or another for about 200 years and they are quite simple assemblies of quite simple and well understood parts. Much like the internal combustion engine, we are near enough at the peak of development and apart from experimenting with alternative materials, coatings its only changes in style and fashion that dictate change.

Browning don't seem to offer a DT11 equivalent with their XS Pro models at around £5k. It would be great to see what Browning could do with double the budget. With the amount of DT11s I see at registered events there clearly is a market for sporting guns at that price point.

What I would like to have seen for the 825 sporting model is an Invector DS equivalent choke system that can be changed by hand without a tool. I'm not a serial choke changer but it would be nice to be able to quickly slip a super cylinder or a full for the one or two extra close or far targets you see on a sporting course. Having to retrieve a tool from your bag, stand the gun up closed and wrench a choke out is a bit too much of a faf between stands. To get this facility at present requires a change to aftermarket chokes.

An improvement on the front barrel weight system would also have been good. The screws that come with the existing setup are poor quality and too long for the application which damages the forend. I'm sure a clip in system could be devised fairly easily.

There is no mention in the advert of preparation for a non toxic future. Browning still provides the 725 with chokes down to extra full with anything over half being non preferable for use with steel shot. I'm sure there is lots going on in background in changing barrel internals, exploration of coatings etc to better suit steel shot and be more resistant to damage which is still a concern but nothing announced.

Some better weather resistance for the guns would also be great. If anything I'm too generous when oiling guns and I've had both game and sporting brownings in both 525 and 725 variants and they have both suffered with corrosion either with the uncoated barrel ends and the at chamber end. In the case of the 525 game gun, the barrel ends had visible rust on them in the time it took to cover the one hour journey home from a particularly wet shoot even though the gun had been wiped over with an oily rag prior to leaving. It comes off with some effort but I'm sure there are better solutions in 2024 than leaving bare steel open to the elements.

Clear Miss - You make some good points.

I think Browning are stuck with a 100 year old design which they are tarting up for win new sales. Please don't forget they are a US company and that will drive their designs and material choices.

In my view the SL2 is overpriced but at least Beretta are trying something new and using IT & AI to make changes.

Bavarian - I also agree that both the 525 and 686 show that a basic design over 50 years old still does the trick.

Finally I'm tempted to say - Yes equipment may not make huge difference but mentally it can and with shooting mental state matters a lot !!!.

Back