New gun advice for a Newbie

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexcav

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this be posted in this section of the forum or even if this has been posted about before.

I am thinking about buying another gun so that I can use my Webley & Scott 912 just for rough shooting etc, the gun I am thinking about buying is a Beretta Prevail Pro (according to the salesman it hasn't been released long) and I would use this gun purely for clay shooting. I handled the display gun in the shop and I was so impressed with how well it fit me and how comfy the gun was to handle! Has anyone got any experience with this gun or advice?

Any help appreciated

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how long you have been shooting but the normal advice on here is buy cheap as you will always swop it ! I did and made a few quid ! Now have my comp. Gun which I will sell when I retire !

My first gun Miruko sp6000 About 20 years old hardly used £500 shot an 83 at a registered shot with it and it was never going to fit my style long term so it had to go ( now have something with a Monte Carlo stock and adjustable comb which fits my head up style - something i didn't know about until comp shooting for a few months! )

But plenty of experienced lads and ladies on here will point you in the right directions

Hi Alex, What disipline do you intend to shoot? As for "the salesman", well some are kosher enough, but not all of them are, so don't go too much by what they tell you mate! Before you part with any money you really should try out a few different guns, a gun may feel good in the shop, but it may not feel so good when you shoot it. So don't jump at a gun just because it feels good in the shop, most of us on this forum have done it at some point, some of us have suffered because of it too. :frown:

Hi Alex

If you are a member of a local clay club go along and tell the secretary of your predicament and ask if you can go round with some experienced shots and maybe try a few different guns, I have found that most guys at clay shoots are only to happy to let you have a go with their pride and joy, you could learn a lot and make a few friends, Good luck.

Mick. :D

Hi Alex

If you are a member of a local clay club go along and tell the secretary of your predicament and ask if you can go round with some experienced shots and maybe try a few different guns, I have found that most guys at clay shoots are only to happy to let you have a go with their pride and joy, you could learn a lot and make a few friends, Good luck.

Mick. :D
Very sound advice! :wink:

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this be posted in this section of the forum or even if this has been posted about before.

I am thinking about buying another gun so that I can use my Webley & Scott 912 just for rough shooting etc, the gun I am thinking about buying is a Beretta Prevail Pro (according to the salesman it hasn't been released long) and I would use this gun purely for clay shooting. I handled the display gun in the shop and I was so impressed with how well it fit me and how comfy the gun was to handle! Has anyone got any experience with this gun or advice?

Any help appreciated

Alex
Westward on here has an SV10 Prevail.

Looking at the GMK website, the Prevail Pro is cheaper than the Prevail Sporting, appears to have simpler engraving and XtraGrain wood...does haev vented ribs between the barrels though.

Westward on here has an SV10 Prevail.
Iggy also has one.

As I've said to anyone who'll listen, IMO the Prevails are really nice shooting guns and a good number of people who've tried mine agree. I'm not sure what the current model designations are, no idea what they'll be in 6 months or when they'll get around to replacing the 682 with an SV10 version, but right now the Pro Sport has to be the best value competition level O/U on the market. However, you are a newbie and Mick Shaw's suggestion is pretty good advice as long as you bear in mind that there will be some very dogmatic opinions over the pros & cons of different makes & models.

Try as many as poss, ask people things, then for any clarifications feel free to ask away on here.

Latest posts

Back