Plastic or Fibre wad 24g or 28g 7.5-6

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to switch to fibre years ago due to plastic pollution. Now I've gone down to 24g and found my scores no different averaging about 80%, I only shoot sporting now though 👍

that's
I decided to switch to fibre years ago due to plastic pollution. Now I've gone down to 24g and found my scores no different averaging about 80%, I only shoot sporting now though 👍

why I was asking, I shoot around 80-90 with 28 plastic 7.5 but I did try the 24 fiber on Sunday, and didn't find a great deal of difference

I’ve never found any difference between 24grm and 28grm. If they can shoot the Olympic disciplines with 24 gram then DTL shouldn’t be a problem, the choice between plastic or fibre is down to you and the ground rules but for choice I would prefer plastic but have used fibre and not had any issues with the scores

Plastic wads are meant to pattern better and more consistently. That doesn't mean it will the case in your gun.

Plastic wads are also design for modern guns with wider forcing cones (18.6 to 18.7) to reduce recoil. Fibre wads are better suited to older guns with 18.4 bores etc. That doesn't mean it will the case in your gun.

Performance will be affected by choke. There is an argument that a fiber wad requires more choke at range. That doesn't mean it will the case in your gun.

24g or 28g - well it's more lead but it's really whether there are gaps in the pattern. That doesn't mean it will the case in your gun.

I hope you get the picture !!!

It's not so much the wad as it is bore scrubbing. The plastic wads tend to do a better job of protecting the shot from upset, too. Fiber wads, the good ones, seal the bore well, and if the shot column is protected from the bore (a plastic shot collar) the patterns will perform admirably.

Back