Problem on the distance shots .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually have a great deal of respect for the opinions of Mike Yardley and I remember him being at a game fair locally, during his demonstration in the arena he did hit on a technique for long crossers. He said his personal preference is for maintained lead but when things go badly wrong what he has resorted to is: follow the clay with the barrels just far enough to establish speed then whip in front and release the shot allowing your gut feeling to tell you exactly when to pull the trigger. I must admit that it has worked for me to some degree although I feel a little uneasy about the general dependency on gut feelings.

I usually have a great deal of respect for the opinions of Mike Yardley and I remember him being at a game fair locally, during his demonstration in the arena he did hit on a technique for long crossers. He said his personal preference is for maintained lead but when things go badly wrong what he has resorted to is: follow the clay with the barrels just far enough to establish speed then whip in front and release the shot allowing your gut feeling to tell you exactly when to pull the trigger. I must admit that it has worked for me to some degree although I feel a little uneasy about the general dependency on gut feelings.
I would get ready to puuuuul your tin hat on if I were you :)

Ready made coaching Ed Solomons he knows what he is talking about. Not sure if he is south enough for you. Andy moon top Devon shooter I am sure he coaches

What your saying is , your gut feeling is that gut feeling is not a reliable thing :D

I don't remember ever seeing a really good shot 'whipping away' from a long target. It's too unreliable as you would need to get sight picture AND speed the same every time for a straight. You will need to measure the long stuff; just don't look back at the barrels

I don't remember ever seeing a really good shot 'whipping away' from a long target. It's too unreliable as you would need to get sight picture AND speed the same every time for a straight. You will need to measure the long stuff; just don't look back at the barrels
I think I recall the article where MY mentioned this method as a last resort but in all fairness he said to use it on any bird you just couldn't find, I agree it can save you from a blank. For what it's worth I have always found his articles on shooting methods sensible, not breathtakingly revealing on any one target but perfectly reasonable.

You've never met Bobby Bruce!!!

I totally disagree with the skeet approach for improving your long range crossers. Skeet is close range. I can smash skeet targets all day but put me on a long range midi from the high tower and it suddenly feels like there's a lot of sky around that target!

Love the idea of moving closer, then moving back a step. Unfortunately this isn't possible at most grounds as you'd have to duck under the ropes.

Some of my best success with long range targets (especially those from high towers) has been when I've given myself less time. Watch the target but mount the gun later. The faster swing required seems to automatically give more lead (and less time to doubt myself!) Obviously won't work if the target is one that's going out of range.

Ready made coaching Ed Solomons he knows what he is talking about. Not sure if he is south enough for you. Andy moon top Devon shooter I am sure he coaches
Am down at Wyle tomorrow if you can get there, happy to have a quick look at you between lessons...

I totally disagree with the skeet approach for improving your long range crossers. Skeet is close range. I can smash skeet targets all day but put me on a long range midi from the high tower and it suddenly feels like there's a lot of sky around that target!

Love the idea of moving closer, then moving back a step. Unfortunately this isn't possible at most grounds as you'd have to duck under the ropes.

Some of my best success with long range targets (especially those from high towers) has been when I've given myself less time. Watch the target but mount the gun later. The faster swing required seems to automatically give more lead (and less time to doubt myself!) Obviously won't work if the target is one that's going out of range.
Think you are missing the point for the OP. Skeet teaches the principal of lead and how to shoot crossers, of course its never going to teach you to shoot 45 yard midi's but you need a mental reference of what lead is.

Think you are missing the point for the OP. Skeet teaches the principal of lead and how to shoot crossers, of course its never going to teach you to shoot 45 yard midi's but you need a mental reference of what lead is.
You are both right really, it is a matter of degree.

The 'trouble' with skeet is that it will give you the basics, especially if you are slow with the gun. However, you can shoot the whole thing by shooting AT the clay and differing the gun speed (to pretty fast on peg 4). So you can argue that you don't really get into 'leeed' as a picture. When shooting a 70 yard target, perhaps needing 10 feet of leed, you are going to have to be aware of a real gap. And you are going to need to judge what that gap should be and have a style that allows you to repeat it. Skeet won't do that for you..

Am down at Wyle tomorrow if you can get there, happy to have a quick look at you between lessons...
I would have been right up for that, but have already booked a train to Worthing to meet up with a mate of mine and go to SouthDowns GC for the day.

But thanks Ed for the offer, and if you are there (or anywhere else) again, I will take you up on it :)

Wez.

Latest posts

Back