R.I.P. John Button

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guerini Guy

Very saddened to hear that John Button passed away today.

25 or so years ago I have many memories of John's devotion to promoting Jenson at the start of his racing career, as a young Cadet Karter around  the regular race meets at Tilbury, Rye House, and Buckmore Park.

We have followed Jenson's career with great interest since that time, and John has been ever present. He will be greatly missed.

Small mercy that he saw his son crowned World F1 Champion. He seemed a lovely man and a great shame he died so relatively soon.

Very saddened to hear that John Button passed away today.

25 or so years ago I have many memories of John's devotion to promoting Jenson at the start of his racing career, as a young Cadet Karter around the regular race meets at Tilbury, Rye House, and Buckmore Park.

We have followed Jenson's career with great interest since that time, and John has been ever present. He will be greatly missed.
Yes, 70 is too early.. A major blow for Jensen just at the start of a turbulent new season.
Guerini Guy, were you involved with karting then? I raced at all those tracks. Actually.. Not Buckmore..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Will - yes I certainly raced regularly at all those circuits. Also did Nuthampstead, and one down near Camberley, but cannot remember the name. "Black" something I think?

Happy, happy days. 

Raced in the National Class as it was then called, and being quite a big guy I soon joined the National Heavyweight Class (for drivers over 14 stone) when they brought that out. Went through a few different karts but my last one was an ARC chassis, Tillett seat of course, and a Rotax Engine. Used to race under number 88 until I got the "1" plate :dancing:   

Proud to say I won the Number 1 plate one year at the deciding race at Rye House. Really loved it and wanted desperately to continue but, to be truthful, the money ran out to compete at that level.  :resent:

John Button was always there supporting Jenson, and even in those early days he had a Winebago type vehicle converted to a mobile workshop with a mechanics crew. Jenson was a natural and won almost every race he entered in those early days. 

John was always very approachable and continued to be a character around pits all of his life. He will be missed by many and Jenson will need to be strong.

Aha,

I did 100 National! Rye House, Blackbushe, Shennington, Little Rissington, all over. Last kart was a Gillard Rotax. Quit at end of 1989 before moving to cars.

I remember seeing Jensen racing in cadets at 'Clay Pigeon' which is the circuit next to Southern Counties.

Hi Will - yes I certainly raced regularly at all those circuits. Also did Nuthampstead, and one down near Camberley, but cannot remember the name. "Black" something I think?

Happy, happy days. 

Raced in the National Class as it was then called, and being quite a big guy I soon joined the National Heavyweight Class (for drivers over 14 stone) when they brought that out. Went through a few different karts but my last one was an ARC chassis, Tillett seat of course, and a Rotax Engine. Used to race under number 88 until I got the "1" plate :dancing:   

Proud to say I won the Number 1 plate one year at the deciding race at Rye House. Really loved it and wanted desperately to continue but, to be truthful, the money ran out to compete at that level.  :resent:

John Button was always there supporting Jenson, and even in those early days he had a Winebago type vehicle converted to a mobile workshop with a mechanics crew. Jenson was a natural and won almost every race he entered in those early days. 

John was always very approachable and continued to be a character around pits all of his life. He will be missed by many and Jenson will need to be strong.
Blackbush.

Did that, Rye House, Buckmore etc in the early 70s in National 100's.

RIP John Button.

It's always sad when someone dies. I never met him but he always seemed like a great guy when interviewed.

From what I know, he certainly had a lot to be proud of. Any parent who shows that level of obvious love and devotion deserves to proud of what they achieved too. and,I don't just refer to his Son's success;  a mate of mine works at Mclaren and speaks very highly of Jenson as a genuinely decent bloke. That kind of attitude comes from good parenting in my opinion. 

As for Jenson, I have a hunch that he will be OK, many of us on here have lost loved ones and know the pain. But behind that easy going smile, there's a burning ambition. If anything, I would not be surprised to see Jenson pushing that bit harder this coming season. 

RIP John Button, my condolences to all who knew him. 

Latest posts

Back