Shot string. Split from Fiocchi F-Black thread.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emmsy said:
so why on some long targets can you fire and then notice a delay before the target breaks?
This is due to a pellet hitting the clay but only causing a fracture, often this won't be enough to cause a break but will on occasion lead to the spinning clay ripping itself apart a few yards on giving the impression of a last pellet cavalry save by the str........i...........ng. 

The first and last pellet in a typical shot have been and gone whether you're in front or not, even if the clay does enter a three dimensional room full of pellets on its flight path, remember IF it can be caught by a trailing shot, then it can just as easily move out of the way of one ! 

The only cure is being on it.

Emmsy said:
so why on some long targets can you fire and then notice a delay before the target breaks?
Hmmm... The guy asks to his mind a very valid question he deserves an answer that makes at least some sense... no?

The main string in this thread is the one that is stringing some people along.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Emmsy said:
To me the answer is fairly obvious, but I may be missing something.  Of course there is going to be a delay between firing and seeing the target break - the target is a long way away, hence the amount of lead you give it you need to give time for the shot to arrive.  Lets say the shot has to travel 60m to the target and the shot string is 3m long at that range.  It would take 20 times longer for the shot to reach the target than it does for the entire shot to pass the target when it actually gets there.

Look at it another way - how much lead do you give a target that is only 3m away from the end of your barrel?

. I'm with Bryan on this one. What about the effect of the moon's gravity on the shot string??? What about shot density? What about what you've had for breakfast?

Or

What about the only thing that matters...putting the shot in the right place...where the clay is going!!!
the moon's gravity would surely only have an effect if your shooting at night

To me the answer is fairly obvious, but I may be missing something. Of course there is going to be a delay between firing and seeing the target break - the target is a long way away, hence the amount of lead you give it you need to give time for the shot to arrive. Lets say the shot has to travel 60m to the target and the shot string is 3m long at that range. It would take 20 times longer for the shot to reach the target than it does for the entire shot to pass the target when it actually gets there.

Look at it another way - how much lead do you give a target that is only 3m away from the end of your barrel?
like i said. Cos its a long way away can't be more succinct than that.

My last word on the subject........

There is a shot string.....but as Gill said....'you' cannot do anything with it.....it is tooooooooooo fast.....true story.

Pattern plate..... Really good for seeing...high...low....left....right.... 'Dont ' read too much into the nice patterns because you cannot see how many flyers you have.....landing on top of the first shot to hit the board.....unless you had a slow mo camera at 90 degrees......just saying.....

But most importantly.....as I always say (and I notice others are now copying my by line).....you have to put it in the right place first in order to break the clay.......if 'you' put 'it' in the right place.....'you' will break 'it' with 'any' cartridge.......but 'you' will break 'it' much better with Fiocchi........(if I could put pretty coloured pictures to explain any better .....I would). However with the amount if people now shooting Fiocchi......and all the PM's and emails I get from shootclayers...about how they love them......including some real surprises (people who I thought were anti.....but do not want others to know they are now shooting them) ......I do sit back with a smile of being some help to their enjoyment. :wink:

The reason for the delay in seeing a long range target break is the difference between the speed of sound and the speed of light. If you watch someone pigeon shooting for example from a distance you will see the puff of feathers as the shot hits the pigeon and then you will hear the sound of the shot.

The further away that you are the longer the interval between sight and sound.

What do they say in the army? It's the shot that you don't hear that kills you!!

The reason for the delay in seeing a long range target break is the difference between the speed of sound and the speed of light. If you watch someone pigeon shooting for example from a distance you will see the puff of feathers as the shot hits the pigeon and then you will hear the sound of the shot.

The further away that you are the longer the interval between sight and sound.

What do they say in the army? It's the shot that you don't hear that kills you!!
Errr.. with respect mate, that's a confused statement. If you are the shooter, the sound is heard instantly (because its right by you) and the vision of the clay is effectively instant because light is so fast. The only reason a clay can take time to break is because the shot takes a while to get there. (OK, sometimes you can damage a clay and it takes a moment to fall apart, but that's not what we are talking about here).

Yes - Clever is right with this one... (clever in clever shock).... that would only work if you were 'far away' from the shot being fired (so - if you watch clays being broken from distance) - otherwise the 330m/s speed of sound pretty much trumps most things as the gun is in your cheek... 

Yes I think clever is as clever as a clever thing on this one.

PS - I say again "cos its a long way away" not sure why we are still debating this as most agree that the answer is "COS ITS A LONG WAY AWAY"

I'm sure when Emmsy asked this question, entirely tongue in cheek, it wasn't meant as a platform for me to look good from. But thanks Emmsy. :)

If you do `the maths` you will see that the shot passes the clay so fast (by comparison with the clays speed) that shot-string length is effectively academic.

It takes about 0.007 of a second for a 10 foot long string to pass a clay. If the clay is crossing at 30mph it will move just 0.3" (or 8mm) in that time, so effectively a shot pattern is two dimensional in all reality.

Your maths presumes a constant velocity of over 1250 fps.  By the time the shot string has reached a target at a conservative 30 yards, it is only doing just over half that. :)

Your 0.007 per 10 ft, equates to a velocity of 1428.6 fps at the target.  Actually, pellets lose velocity almost exponentially..dropping 20% in the first 10 yards or so

If we presume that the target is around 30 yards away (a fair assumption), a 1300 fps load of 7.5's will have actually reduced to 720 fps, which is only 55% of its initial velocity.  Which means that for your example to be accurate, the muzzle velocity would have to be around 2600 feet per second.

This would means that rather than a muzzle energy around 1600 ft/lb, and the associated recoil that we are used to from a conventional competition gun; you would have a muzzle energy of 6370 ft/lbs.

This I suspect, would hurt.   :)

Maths is fun :cool:

http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/archive/feb_mar11/Larger%20Pellets.pdf

EDIT:  Just revisiting this, regarding distance travelled by the clay.  In your example at 30mph, the distance travelled by the clay (which is independent of shot speed) would actually be 3.7 inches (94mm).  To travel 8mm in 7/1000'sec the clay would need to be doing 2.56mph

With what we now know about the actual velocity of the shot at 30 yards, and would take 0.0138/s to cover 10 feet, the clay would actually have moved 7.28 inches (18.5cm).

So actually...shot string does matter and you could well be missing, due to gaps in your pattern.

The point about the Shot String, is not that it won't affect kills; but that you cannot control it or alter it's path, by swinging your gun about.

http://www.1728.org/velocity.htm

However, you are correct regarding the whole "speed of sound" debacle.

Now if you don't mind, I have a jet engine to attend to... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back