Shot string. Split from Fiocchi F-Black thread.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moved this lot over.  Hope this is OK by everybody.  If i have missed any relevant posts, let me know and I will bring them over.

Last edited by a moderator:
now I remember why I try to avoid doing overly technical articles......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The shot column is degraded by aerodynamic drag - spheres are an aerodynamic disaster.  The leading pellets are slowed by drag and pushed aside by the ones behind - in a continuous flow until the things fall out of the sky.  That's why the pattern opens and the string develops.  The choke itself slows nothing and can't since the wad is pushing on the shot mass even as it exits the barrel.  You should think of the shot mass as pushed out of the barrel by the wad rather than blown out of the barrel by the gas - mostly 'cuz it is.  No magic or mystery anywhere in there.

Bob Brister did some way cool shot string examinations decades ago.  Check out his book for some dyno pix.

"And who really cares.....just hit it..."  pretty much sums it up actually

Latest posts

Back